The recently concluded UPSC 2018 Prelims has again confirmed the importance of Environment and Ecology section for IAS Preparation. Around 14-17 questions were asked from this section. This has been the trend for last 5 years continuously. Hence In our today’s blog: IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology – Importance, books and Tips, we will provide you with a preparation strategy that would help you cover Environment and Ecology in the best possible manner.
- Click Here for UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I: Exam Analysis, Solved Paper & Cutoffs
- IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology – Books and other resources
IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology – Reason for Importance
1) Since 2013 UPSC is conducting the Civil services prelims and Forest Services prelims together. As a result, the extra focus on Environment and ecology section.
2) Global Warming and entire Climate change situation happening around the world. Because it, UPSC wants the nation’s future bureaucrats sensitive and aware of the topic.
IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology – Weightage in Prelims Question Paper
|Environment and Ecology||17||18||11||18||15||14|
IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology – Focus Areas of Syllabus
- Bio-sphere and Biome
- Climate Change
- Conservational Aspects
- Environmental Issues
- Pollution and its impact
These are the broad sections of the UPSC syllabus for Environment and ecology. All these sections would have to be covered thoroughly for IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology section.
IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology – Books and other resources
- NCERT Science Class IX & Class X – Geography and Environment books
- Last 4 chapters of NCERT Biology Class XII book
- Environment section of Economic Survey
- Environment section of India Year Book
- The Hindu Newspaper – most important
- Articles from Yojana and Kurukshetra magazines on Environment
- Articles from Science Reporter magazine on Environment
- Environment and Ecology notes from Sriram IAS
IAS Preparation Tips and Strategy – Environment and Ecology
- Environment and Ecology section should be covered along with Geography and Science preparation as all 3 are quite inter-related.
- Self-made notes from Hindu newspaper are a must.
- The limited reading material is the key. There are 100’s of resources out in the market for environment and ecology. It is not required to read all of them. What is important is that you remember whatever you have read and that can be achieved only by having a limited reading material which can be revised multiple times.
- “Read – Revise – Practise” this is the pattern which would have to be repeated at least 3-4 times throughout your IAS Preparation cycle.
- The preparation and notes making should be of holistic nature, i.e. you should cover all the aspects of a particular topic by following the 1H-5W questions method.
IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology – 1H-5W questions method
What – Define
When – Time Frame
Where – Location
Whom – People involved/impacted
Why – reasons
How – implications
prepare your notes as answers to the above questions.
That’s it from us on IAS Preparation – Environment and Ecology: Importance, book and Tips. We hope you find this useful.
Check out the following for UPSC Preparation –
- IBPS RRB PO Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- IBPS RRB Assistant Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- Guarantee your success in 2020 with SBI PO Titan Course + 30 Full length SBI PO mock tests
- Attempt a Free SEBI Grade A Mock Test here
- UPSC EPFO EO 2020 – Attempt Free Mock Tests now
- Prepare for Railway RRB NTPC Exam – Take a Free Mock Test