SSC CGL English Preparation is a very important part of any SSC CGL Preparation strategy. Since the release of SSC CGL 2018 notification, there have a been lots of queries about a strategy for SSC CGL English Preparation. To answer all these queries, we have prepared this blog – SSC CGL English Preparation: Strategy and Tips
In this blog, to help you with SSC CGL English Preparation, we have provided the exam pattern, Exam syllabus for English, 2017 Question paper analysis of English section, few previous year’s questions, tips for preparation and some sample questions for English section of SSC CGL 2018 Exam.
SSC CGL 2018 Exam: Important Dates
(Tentative Dates Based on SSC 2018 Exam Calendar)
- Online Registration Starts: 05.05.2018
- Online Registration Ends: 04.06.2018
- Date of Computer Based Examination (Tier-I): 25.07.2018-20.08.2018
- Date of Tier-II: To be notified later
- Date of Tier-III (Descriptive): To be notified later
- Date of Tier-IV (Skill test)- To be notified later
SSC CGL English Preparation: Tier -I Exam Pattern
|General Intelligence Reasoning||25||50||60 Minutes|
(0.50 negative marks for every wrong answer)
SSC CGL English Preparation: English Syllabus
· Reading Comprehension
· Fill in the Blanks
· Phrase or Idiom Meaning
· One Word Substitution
· Phrase Replacement
· Sentence Correction
· Error Spotting
· Antonym/ Synonym
· Para jumble
SSC CGL English Preparation: Previous year’s paper analysis of English section
|Topic||No of Questions||Level|
|One word substitution||2 to 3||Difficult|
SSC CGL English Preparation: Previous year Questions
SSC CGL English Preparation: Question 1
Q: In the following question, the sentence is given with blank to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.
Virat Kohli added another feather _____ his cap by his wonderful performance in the one-day match.
Correct Answer: Option 2 – to
SSC CGL English Preparation: Question 2
Q: In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the word similar in meaning to the word given.
Correct Answer: Option 2 – Dangerous
SSC CGL English Preparation: Question 3
In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/Phrase.
Live from hand to mouth
1) Filthy rich people
2) To be dependent on others
3) To have enough money to live on and nothing extra
4) Living in miserable conditions.
Correct Answer: Option 3 – To have enough money to live on and nothing extra
SSC CGL English Preparation: Question 4
In the following question, four words are given out of which one word is incorrectly spelt.
Find the incorrectly spelt word.
Correct Answer: Option 2 – Personnal
SSC CGL English Preparation: Books
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- Objective General English by SP Bhakshi (Arihant)
- Corrective English by AK Singh
- Sectional Tests for English on Oliveboard
SSC CGL English Preparation: Tips
- Understand the type of Questions asked in SSC CGL exam by analysing previous year’s question papers.
- Solve previous 5 years question papers
- Understand your weak areas and spend extra time on practising for those topics in your SSC CGL English Preparation
- First, understand the basic concepts about the topic and then start solving topic wise questions
- Give as many mock tests as possible during your SSC CGL English Preparation – Click here for mock tests
- Do not get de-motivated by low mock test scores. These are for practice only. The more you practise, the better are our chances of success in the SSC CGL exam
SSC CGL English Preparation: Sample Questions
SSC CGL English Preparation: Sample Question 1
In the following question, All/some of the sentences have errors. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is the answer.
Having acquired some experience, (a)/ she is no longer (b)/ One of those who believes (c)/ every explanation. (d)
(a) Having acquired some experience
(b) She is no longer
(c) One of those who believes
(d) Every explanation
Correct Answer: Option (c) – One of those who believes
Use ‘believe’ in place of ‘believes’
SSC CGL English Preparation: Sample Question 2
In the following question, out of the four alternatives select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
(a) very modern, latest
(b) to fight someone very much
(d) to belong to one’s past
Correct answer: Option (a).
SSC CGL English Preparation: Sample Question 3
The question below has two blanks each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole.
Centre should _______ ministries whose functions _____________ with the state ministries to save money, deliver efficiency and avoid duplication of work.
(a) abolish, overlap
(b) constitute, matches
(c) establish, contradict
(d) give, work
Correct answer: Option (a).
SSC CGL English Preparation: Sample Question 4
Select the correct option which is opposite of the following word
Answer: Option (b)
SSC CGL Preparation – Important Links
|SSC CGL 2018 Notification Out||Click Here|
|SSC CGL 2018 अधिसूचना घोषित हुई! (Hindi)||Click Here|
|SSC CGL Official notification download||Click Here|
|SSC CGL 2018 Exam – Apply Online||Click Here|
|SSC CGL Study Plan 2018||Click Here|
|SSC CGL Recruitment 2018 – FAQs||Click Here|
|SSC CGL Syllabus for 2018 Exam||Click Here|
|SSC CGL Book List||Click Here|
We hope the Above information is helpful in your SSC CGL English preparation. We will continue to assist your SSC CGL English preparation through our blogs, e-books and study notes.
All the best for SSC CGL 2018 Exam!!