In this blog, All the Top news of week Top News of the week – Current Affairs from Dec 16 to Dec 21 2018, for your General Awareness and Current Affairs preparation for Bank and Government exams
1) Kamal Nath will take oath as the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh. The Congress has secured support of a total of 121 MLAs, including SP and BSP and Independent legislators to cross the majority mark of 116 seats in the 230-member Assembly.
2) After intense negotiations ministers of 200 nations finally reached consensus on rules to implement the 2015 Paris climate agreement in Poland. The Paris accord aims to limit the rise in global temperature to well below 2 degrees from pre-industrial level.
3) Noted English writer Amitav Ghosh has been honoured with this year’s Jnanpith Award, a literary award given to an author for “outstanding contribution towards literature”. His book includes- Shadow Lines, The Glass Palace, The Hungry Tide.
4) P V Sindhu won the BWF World Tour Finals trophy at Guangzhou, China. She defeated Nozomi Okuhara of Japan. Sindhu accomplished the feat after losing seven successive summit clashes. She is the first Indian to achieve this feat.
5) Senior Congress leader Bhupesh Baghel was appointed the new chief minister of Chhattisgarh. Congress had romped home to power in Chhattisgarh after 15 years with a two-third majority, winning 68 seats in the 90-member House.
6) In Hockey, Belgium has claimed their first ever World Cup title. They defeated the Netherlands in the final of the Men’s World Cup in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Belgium has won the trophy after sixteen years.
7) New generation private sector IDFC Bank and non-banking financial company Capital First announced the completion of their merger creating a combined loan asset book of Rs 1.03 lakh crore for the merged entity IDFC First Bank.
8) India’s ISRO successfully launched the latest advanced satellite, GSAT-7A, from Andhra Pradesh’s Sriharikota. Dubbed ‘Angry Bird’, the satellite will give a boost to the strategic communication and networking capabilities of the Indian Air Force.
9) India has been ranked 108th in World Economic Forum (WEF) gender gap index, same as 2017 while recording improvement in wage equality for similar work and fully closing its tertiary education gender gap for the first time.
10) The UN General Assembly has adopted the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration, the first-ever negotiated global framework on a common approach to international migration in all its dimensions. India voted in favour of resolution.
11) The Ministry Environment, Forest and Climate Change, GoI has launched the “Asiatic Lion Conservation Project” with an aim to protect and conserve the world’s last ranging free population of Asiatic Lion and its associated ecosystem with a Budget of Rs. 9784 lakh.
- Check More GK and Current Affairs Material