In this blog, All the Top news of week Top News of the week – Current Affairs from July 22 to July 27 for your General awareness and Current Affairs preparation for Bank and Government exams
1) Israel and Hamas have agreed to restore calm in the Gaza Strip with Egyptian and United Nations efforts. Hamas is the Islamist group that controls the Gaza Strip. Gaza–Israel conflict is a part of the wider Israeli–Palestinian conflict.
2) Typhoon Ampil, the 10th typhoon this year hit Shanghai, bringing heavy rainfall and disrupting transport and shipping. The typhoon first hit the island of Chongming, 45 km east of the city, with winds of up to 28 metres per second.
3) The GST Council cut tax rates on 88 items, including footwear, refrigerator, washing machine and small screen TV, while the widely demanded sanitary napkins have been exempted from the levy. The revised tax rates will come into effect from 27 July.
4) Lok Sabha passed Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill that allows a court hearing a cheque bounce case to direct drawer- person who wrote the cheque to pay interim compensation (within 60 days of order, up to 20% of cheque value) to the person who filed the complaint.
5) Kerala has been ranked the best-governed state for the third consecutive year by Public Affairs Centre (PAC) in its Public Affairs Index. Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Karnataka and Gujarat followed Kerala in the list. Kerala was ranked 11th in economic freedom.
6) ICICI Bank announced Sandeep Batra as its new President – Corporate Centre, with effect from July 12. Batra was earlier ED at Prudential Life Insurance. He will handle the key portfolio of NS Kannan.
7) Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee officially presented Olympic mascots Miraitowa & Someity. The names are derived from a combination of Japanese words for future & eternity & seek to promote a future full of eternal hope in the hearts of people all over the world
8) Parliament passed a bill that seeks to prevent big economic offenders from fleeing the country to evade the legal process. The Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018 was passed by a voice vote in the Rajya Sabha.
9) Govt approved a scheme-Mahila Shakti Kendra for implementation up to 2019-20 to empower rural women through community participation. The scheme is implemented with the cost-sharing ratio of 60:40 between centre & states (except NE & Special Category States-90:10).
10) 2 Indians, Bharat Vatwani and Sonam Wangchuk are among 6 winners of this year’s Ramon Magsaysay Award. The awards declared are regarded as the Asian version of the Nobel Prize. The others award winners are from Cambodia, East Timor, Philippines and Vietnam
- Check More GK and Current Affairs Material