Famous Personalities of J&K: JKSSB VLW exam will be conducted to fill 1395 vacancies in the UT of J&K. In competitive exams, the section on general awareness is very important and keeping that in mind we are presenting this blog on the famous personalities of J&K.
Table of Contents
List of Famous Personalities of Jammu and Kashmir
- Famous author from 12th Century
- Book written: Rajatrangini
- Known as The Nightingale of Kashmir
- Famous Poetess of the 16th Century
Pandit Shivkumar Sharma
- Born – 13th January 1938, Jammu
- Famous Santoor player who popularised santoor in Indian Classical Music
- Important Awards won – Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1986, Padma Shri in 1991, Padma Bhusan – 2001
Prem Nath Dogra
- Known as Sher -e – Duggar
- Was popularly called Pandit Ji
- Was the president of ‘Bhartiya Jana Sangh’ in 1955
Ram Nath Shastri
- Known as ‘Father of Dogri’
- Important Awards won – Sahitya Akademi Award (1977) for Badnami Di Chaan, Padma Shri (1990), Sahitya Akademi Fellowship (2001)
- First women poet of Dogri Language.
- Awards Won – Sahitya Akademi Award (1971) for Meri Kavita Mere Geet, Padma Shri (2001), Kabir Samman for poetry (2007-08).
Dr. Karan Singh
- Son of Maharaja Hari Singh
- Last Sadar – e- Riyasat of J&K
- First Governor of J&K
- Indian politician, philanthropist and poet.
- Awarded the Padma Vibushan in 2005
Meher Chand Mahajan
- Prime Minister of state of Jammu and Kashmir during the reign of Maharaja Hari Singh (1947-1948)
- Third Chief Justice of Supreme Court of India
- Known as Sher-e- Kashmir.
- Served as the 1st elected Prime Minister of J&K after its ascension to India.
- Founding leader of the ‘All Jammu and Kashmir Muslim Conference’ (later renamed Jammu and Kashmir National Conference)
Bakshi Ghulam Mohammad
- Also known as Architect of Modern Kashmir
- Served as Deputy Prime Minister from 1947-1953
- PM of J&K state after Sheikh Abdullah (1953-1964)
Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
- He was the First Muslim Home Minister of India.
- Founder of PDP (People Democratic Party) in J&K
- He served twice as the Chief Minister of J&K
- First woman chief minister of J&K
- Last chief minister of state of J&K
- Daughter of Mufti Mohammad Sayeed
- Former CM of J&K
- Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir National Conference.
- Youngest CM of J&K
- Son of Farooq Abdullah
- Awarded Highest Gallantry Award Param Vir Chakra for capturing the highest peak on the Siachen glacier as part of Operation Rajiv in 1987
- The post occupied by him is known as Bana Top
- Indian Mathematician and Aerospace Engineer
- 3rd Chairman of ISRO
- Father of experimental fluid dynamics research in India
- Awards Won – Padma Vibhushan (1981), Padma Bhushan (1971), Indira Gandhi Award (1999)
- Indian Physician and Politician
- Ex-chairman of the National Scientific Committee Diabetes and the Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India
- Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Earth Sciences,
- Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Science & Technology,
- Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office, Minister of State in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions,
- Minister of State in the Department of Atomic Energy
- Minister of State in the Department of Space
- Author of 8 books
- Radio actor and script writer
- Won Padma Shri in (1974) and the Sahitya Akademi Award (1976)
M.K Raina or Maharaj Krishen Raina
- India’s most well-known theatre actor and director
- Awards won – Sanskriti Samman (1980), Sahitya Kala Parishad Award (1981), Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1995)
- Popular Bollywod Actor
- Lok Sabha MP
- Awards Won – Padma Shri (2004) and Padma Bhushan (2016)
Mulkh Raj Saraf
- Indian journalist and writer
- Author of ‘Sher-e-Duggar Lala Hans Raj Mahajan Jeevan Katha’, first autobiography in Dogri Language
- Awards Won – Padma Shri (1976)
Parveez Rasool Zargar
- Known as ‘Bhaijaan of Bijbehara’.
- Indian Cricketer (All Rounder).
- Captain of J&K Cricket Team
- First player from J&K to win IPL Contract
Vijayendra Nath Kaul
- 10th Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG)
- Awards Won – Padma Bhushan (2014)
Adarsh Sein Anand
- 29th Chief Justice of India
- Longest serving Chief Justice of India
- Awards Won – Shiromani Award (2002), Padma Vibhushan (2008)
Justice T.S Thakur
- 43rd Chief Justice of India.
- Scriptwriter of Haider
- Journalist, author, and political commentator
How to Download Famous Personalities of Jammu and Kashmir Free E-Book?
Step 1: Click on the download link. You will be redirected to Oliveboard’s FREE E-Books Page.
Step 2: Create a free Oliveboard account or login using your existing Oliveboard account details
Step 3: Download the book by clicking on the link presented on the page.
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
This was all about the famous personalities of J&K. We hope it will help the students in their preparation. For more updates, stay connected to Oliveboard.