National Sports Day 2024
The National Sports Day in India is commemorated on August 29. This yearly occasion is dedicated to honoring the remarkable legacy of Major Dhyan Chand. It is a significant day to reflect upon the remarkable accomplishments of athletes and their profound impact on society, reminding us of their dedication and outstanding achievements. This day also pays homage to the athletes who have left an indelible mark on the world of sports.
National Sports Day Theme 2024
The official theme for National Sports Day 2024, celebrated on August 29th in India, has not yet been announced by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
Significance of National Sports Day
National Sports Day is celebrated in India on August 29 every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand, one of the greatest hockey players of all time.
- National Sports Day is a day to celebrate the achievements of Indian athletes and to promote the importance of sports in society.
- It is also a day to remember the legacy of Major Dhyan Chand and his contribution to Indian sports.
- On National Sports Day, various sporting events are held across the country. These events are open to all, regardless of age, gender, or skill level.
- The aim is to encourage people to participate in sports and to promote a healthy and active lifestyle.
- The President of India gives away the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Awards on National Sports Day.
- These awards are the highest sporting honors in India and are given to athletes who have made outstanding contributions to sports.
National Sports Day is a celebration of the spirit of sportsmanship and the importance of physical fitness. It is a day to come together and cheer on our athletes, and to inspire the next generation of sports stars.
History of National Sports Day
National Sports Day in India is celebrated on August 29 every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand, one of the greatest hockey players of all time.
Dhyan Chand was born on August 29, 1905, in Allahabad. He was a member of the Indian hockey team that won three consecutive Olympic gold medals in 1928, 1932, and 1936. He was also a recipient of the Padma Bhushan, India’s third-highest civilian award.
The Government of India declared August 29 as National Sports Day in 1982, to honor Major Dhyan Chand’s contribution to Indian sports. On this day, various sporting events are held across the country, and the President of India gives away the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Awards to athletes who have made outstanding contributions to sports.
About Major Dhyan Chand
Major Dhyan Chand (29 August 1905 – 3 December 1979) was an Indian field hockey player who is considered one of the greatest field hockey players of all time.
He was known for his extraordinary ball control and goal-scoring feats, in addition to earning three Olympic gold medals, in 1928, 1932, and 1936, during an era when India dominated field hockey. His influence extended beyond these victories, as India won the field hockey event in seven out of eight Olympics from 1928 to 1964.
Dhyan Chand retired from international hockey in 1948. He later served as the coach of the Indian hockey team and was also the director of the National Institute of Sports in Patiala.
He was awarded the Padma Bhushan, India’s third-highest civilian award, in 1956.
Dhyan Chand died on 3 December 1979, at the age of 74. He is considered one of the greatest sportsmen of all time and his legacy continues to inspire athletes around the world.
The Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium in New Delhi is named after him. The stadium is one of the largest hockey stadiums in the world and is a popular venue for international hockey matches.
29th August 2024 Special Day
On the momentous day of August 29, 2024, India celebrates National Sports Day, a yearly tribute to the extraordinary legacy of Major Dhyan Chand. This special occasion prompts reflection on the remarkable achievements of athletes, highlighting their profound impact on society. Let’s pay homage to those who have left an indelible mark on the world of sports, inspiring us with their dedication and outstanding feats.
- 27 February 2024 Current Affairs in English
- National Science Day 2024 (28th February), Theme & History
- Rare Disease Day 2024 (29th February), Theme & History
- International Women’s Day 2024 (8th March), Theme, Significance
- National Cinema Day 2024 (11th October), Theme & History
- Centre Launches Sale of ‘Bharat Atta’ at an MRP of ₹ 27.50/Kg