The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has released a notification on 4th August 2021 announcing the UPSC CDS II examination 2021. The UPSC conducts the Combined Defence Services examination twice a year in February and September. These examinations are held to induct eligible and promising aspirants into the Indian Naval Academy (INA), Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Air Force Academy (AFA), and Officer’s Training Academy (OTA). Several non-tech vacancies are offered, including SSC Women who wish to join the Indian Army, Navy, and Air Force. The last date to submit the application form for the UPSC CDS is 24th August 2021.UPSC has already released CDS II 2021 examination date schedule with the official calendar. As per the notice, the UPSC will conduct the CDS examination on 04th November 2021. Continue reading for details of the UPSC CDS Exam Pattern 2021.
- UPSC CDS Exam Pattern 2021 Details
- CDS Marking Scheme 2021
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
UPSC CDS Exam Pattern 2021 Details
|Total Number of sections||Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Naval Academy (INA), and Air Force Academy (AFA)-ThreeOfficers’ Training Academy (OTA)-Two|
|Language asked in the question paper||Hindi and English|
|Total Duration of the test||Two hours for each section of the test|
|Total Marks||IMA, INA, and AFA-300OTA-200|
|Type of questions||Objective type|
The Union Public Service Commission sets the UPSC CDS Exam Pattern 2021. UPSC has mentioned the examination pattern of CDS in detail in the official notification of the examination
The CDS Selection Process is divided into two stages:
- Written examination
- SSB Interview
CDS Examination Pattern For The Written Examination
The written examination of CDS is further divided into two parts.
- For IMA, INA, and AFA, the written test comprises three sections, i.e., English, General Knowledge, and Elementary Mathematics.
- For OTA, there are two sections in the written exam, i.e., English and General Knowledge.
UPSC CDS Exam Pattern 201 For
- Indian Military Academy,
- Indian Naval Academy, and
- Air Force Academy
The examination consists of three sections: General Knowledge, English, and Elementary Mathematics. Each Section carries 100 marks, and the time duration is 2 hours.
|Subjects/ Sections||Total Duration||Max. Marks|
|General Knowledge||2 hours||100|
|Elementary Mathematics||2 hours||100|
UPSC CDS Exam Pattern 2021 For Officers’ Training Academy
The section on Elementary Mathematics is not included in this examination. All other aspects like the total marks and duration of the paper remain the same as discussed above.
|General Knowledge||2 hours||100|
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
Standard of the Questions
Given below is the expected standard of each section in the CDS Examination.
- The standard of the papers in Elementary Mathematics will be of the matriculation level. UPSC will set the standard of papers in other subjects according to any recognized Indian university’s graduation level.
- English: The question paper will be designed to test the candidates’ understanding of English and their fluency in the language.
- General Knowledge: General Knowledge including knowledge of the current events and matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The paper will also include questions relating to the history of India and Geography of a nature which the candidate should be able to answer without special study.
CDS Exam Pattern 2021 – Service Selection Board Interview
The Service Selection Board Interview marks are 300 for the Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and the Air Force Academy. The Officers Training Academy is for 200 marks. Candidates who qualify in the CDS written examination will have to appear for SSB Interview. The Union Public Service Commission conducts the CDS examination, but the Service Selection Board – SSB holds the interview. The performance of the candidates will be examined by three persons appointed by the board – the Interviewing Officer, Psychologist, and the Group Testing Officer. The marks are given to the candidates after considering their performance in all the tests. The Service Selection Board Interview is classified into two stages and is conducted over a period of 4 days. Only the candidates shortlisted in Stage I of the SSB Interview are called for Stage II. The two stages of the interview are:
|Stage I||Stage II|
|Officer Intelligence Rating Test||Interview|
|Picture Perception Description Test (PP & DT)||Group Testing Officer Tasks|
The Psychological Test includes
- Situation Reaction Test
- Self Description Test
- Word Association Test
- Thematic Apperception Test
The various Group Activities include:
- Group Discussion
- Group Obstacle Race
- Individual Obstacles
- Group Planning Exercise
- Command Task
- Final Group Task
- Progressive Group Task
- Half Group Task
CDS Marking Scheme 2021
The CDS examination has a multiple-choice question paper. Negative marking applies to every wrong answer. For each incorrect answer or multiple answers to one question, 1/3 of the marks will be deducted. No negative marking is done for unanswered questions.
The following table shows the detailed marking scheme of the exam.
CDS Marking Scheme for IMA, INA, AFA
|Marks for Correct answer||1 mark for each correct answer||1 mark for each correct answer||1 mark for each correct answer|
|Negative marking||-0.33 marks for each wrong answer||-0.33 marks for each wrong answer||-0.33 marks for each wrong answer|
CDS Marking Scheme for Officers’ Training Academy
The following table shows the Marking scheme for 2021Officers’ Training Academy
|Marks for Correct answer||1 mark for each correct answer||1 mark for each correct answer|
|Negative marking||-0.33 marks for each wrong answer||-0.33 marks for each wrong answer|
Now that the UPSC CDS II examination date is fast approaching, you must become earnest about your preparation and revision. It is understood that youth with a burning desire to serve the country join the defense services. So, you must be already well prepared for the examination. Continue your preparation as you have been doing already. Your hard work and diligence will certainly make your dream come true.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, negative marking is applicable for every wrong answer. For each incorrect answer or multiple answers to one question, 1/3 of the marks will be deducted. No negative marking is done for unanswered questions.
The Service Selection Board Interview has two stages:
Stage I: Officer Intelligence Rating Test, Picture Perception Description Test (PP & DT)
Stage II: Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests, Conference
The UPSC CDS II examination will be conducted on 4th November 2021.
- हरियाणा पुलिस एसआई पाठ्यक्रम और परीक्षा पैटर्न
- Rajasthan Patwari Exam Answer Key| 2021
- हरियाणा पुलिस एसआई कट ऑफ
- हरियाणा पुलिस SI (उप- निरीक्षक) परीक्षा
- UPPSC PCS Exam Analysis 2021 | Detailed Section wise Analysis
- IBPS Clerk 2021 Mock Test: Attempt Now
- IBPS PO 2021 Mock Test: Attempt Now
- SBI PO 2021 – Attempt Free Mock Test Here
- यहाँ पर नि: शुल्क UP पुलिस एसआई मॉक टेस्ट के लिए रजिस्टर करें
- यहाँ पर नि: शुल्क राजस्थान Gram Sevak मॉक टेस्ट के लिए रजिस्टर करें
- यहाँ पर नि: शुल्क UP Lekhpal मॉक टेस्ट के लिए रजिस्टर करें