The National Insurance Company Limited conducts the NICL AO exam for the recruitment of Administrative Officers (AO). This post will put together all the information required regarding the NICL AO 2017 Exam.
1. Important Dates
- These figures are provisional and are subject to change based on the company’s discretion.
- Graduation/ Post-graduation from a recognized university.
- Minimum percentage requirement of 60% (aggregate) for general category.
- Minimum percentage requirement of 55% (aggregate) for SC/ ST.
- Candidate must fall in the age bracket of 21 – 30 years as on 1 March, 2017.
- Age limit is relaxed for reserved categories (maximum age 45 years).
4. Exam Pattern / Selection Procedure
The selection for NICL AOs is done in three stages namely:
- Preliminary Exam
- Main Exam
The exams are conducted in online mode. The following sections describe each of these stages in detail. In all objective tests, there is a negative marking of 1/4 of the total marks of the question for a wrong answer.
– Preliminary Exam
- There are sectional and overall cutoffs. A candidate will have to clear both in order to qualify for the next stage.
- Approximately 15 times the number of vacancies (in each category) will be shortlisted for the mains examination.
– Main Examination
This would be conducted in two parts : (i) Objective Test and, (ii) Descriptive Test. The details for these are given below.
(i) Objective Test
Candidates must clear sectional and overall cutoffs for short listing for the Descriptive Test evaluation/ Interview.
(ii) Descriptive Test
- Test of English writing
- Duration – 30 minutes; Marks – 30
- Will have 3 questions : Essay, Precis and Reading Comprehension
- Candidate will have to type in the answers in the computer
This section has a separate cutoff, and is evaluated only if a candidate clears the objective test.
Also, a candidate is required to qualify the descriptive test, however its marks are not included in shortlisting for the interview.
5. Salary & Perks
- Starting basic pay : Rs. 32,795 /- in the scale of Rs. 32795-1610(14)-55335-1745(4)-62315 and such other allowances.
- Total emoluments will be approximately Rs.51,000/- p.m. in metropolitan centers.
- Other benefits such as Pension under New Pension system governed by PFRDA, Gratuity, LTS, Medical Benefits, Group Personal Accident Insurance etc. shall be as per norms.
- The officers are also entitled for Company’s / leased accommodation as per norms.
6. Service Conditions
- Before joining as probationer, the selected candidates will be required to give an undertaking to serve the Company for a minimum period of four years including probation period.
- The selected candidates will be on a probation period for one year from the date of joining. This may be stretched for another 6 months for a maximum of upto 2 years.
- During the probation period the Officers would be required to pass the non-life “Licentiate Examination” conducted by Insurance Institute of India. Failure to pass this exam within the extended probation period will result in termination.
7. Job Profile
An Administrative Officer in NICL acts as the First Officer. Major responsibilities of an AO involve:
- Claim Settlements
- Risk Assessment
- Supervision of Assistants’ work
At times the AOs are also entrusted to verify the risk proposals and authorization of claims.
Being in the insurance sector, majority of the work involves work related to insurance policies. These include (but are not limited to) health, motor vehicles, industrial, accident, fire. The role varies as per the requirement of the department or branch.
- AOs can be posted anywhere in India.
- However, an observed pattern is that the specialist AOs mostly get posted to big cities.
- The minimum stay at the initial place of posting will be 5 years.
Hope this helps.
All the best!!