In this blog, All the Top Weekly Current Affairs – Feb 02 to Feb 08, 2019, for your General Awareness and Current Affairs preparation for Bank and Government exams
- In the Interim Budget 2019, Govt has exempted income up to ₹ 5 lakh from income tax, raising standard deduction to ₹ 50,000 and provided concessions on interest income from bank deposits and rent. Individuals with income up to ₹ 5 lakh will not be required to pay any tax. Read the details here
- Indian Women’s Cricket Team Captain, Mithali Raj became the first female cricketer to play 200 ODIs. She is the highest run-getter in ODIs with 6622 runs at an average of 51.33 including 7-hundreds. Her international career is 4th -longest behind only Sachin Tendulkar, Jayasuriya & Javed Miandad.
- Government proposed to launch Mega Pension Scheme, Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Mandhan, for social security coverage of unorganised labour. The Unorganised labour will get ₹3,000 per month after the age of 60. Pensioners will have to contribute Rs 100 per month and the Government will contribute equally in pension accounts under this scheme. Read the details here
- Ministry of Finance has decided to merge two regional rural banks – Pallavan Grama Bank and Pandyan Grama Bank – and name the new entity as Tamil Nadu Grama Bank. The bank will be under the sponsorship of Indian Bank, with its head office in Salem. The merger would be effective from April 1, 2019.
- India’s 40th communication satellite, GSAT-31 was successfully launched by European launch services provider- Arianespace’s rocket from French Guiana. It derives its heritage from ISROs earlier INSAT/GSAT satellite series.
- The Indus river dolphin was declared as Punjab’s state aquatic animal. It is the second most endangered river dolphin species. The decision was taken by the State Board of Wildlife, chaired by CM Amarinder Singh.
- Asian Development Bank has bought a 14% stake in micro-financier Annapurna Finance (Bhubaneswar based NBFC) for ₹ 137 Crore. The expansion of equity will help the firm expand its loan portfolio in asset classes such as MSME and affordable housing.
- The Mobile App of PM-JAY (Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana, also known as Ayushman Bharat), the world’s largest cashless health insurance scheme was launched on Google Play store. The PMJAY App would help to check money used, register grievances & check for nearby hospitals.
- According to the Culture Ministry, top 10 revenue-generating monuments during 2015-18 are Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Qutub Minar, Red Fort, Humayun’s Tomb, Sun Temple Konark, Monuments of Mamallapuram, Ellora Caves, Khajuraho and the Ajanta Caves.
- President Ram Nath Kovind to confer the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards 2017 to forty-two artists from the fields of Music, Dance and Theatre. The award ceremony was held at Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi on 6 February, 2019.
- Sapta Shakti Command on behalf of Indian Army to co-ordinate EXERCISE RAHAT- Joint Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Exercise with National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in the month of February.
- Union Textiles Minister, Smriti Irani, launched “India Size”, which aims to arrive at a standard Indian Size for the ready-to-wear clothing industry, on the lines of the standardized sizes available in countries such as the USA and the UK
- Union Cabinet gave approval for amendments to the Cinematograph Act, 1952, to tackle film piracy and Copyright infringement, putting penal provisions for unauthorized cam-cording and duplication of films.
- Indian weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu wins a gold medal in the 48 kg category at the EGAT Cup in Thailand.
- Reserve Bank of India in its bi-monthly monetary policy reduced repo rate by 25 basis points to 6.25% and reverse repo rate to 6% amidst low expectations for inflation. It was the 6th bimonthly monetary policy report of current fiscal year.
Check More GK and Current Affairs Material