XAT 2022 is a national level MBA entrance exam that will be conducted on 2nd January 2022. Check out how to crack the verbal ability section for XAT 2022. Read the most important tips and strategies required to score good marks in the Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning (VALR) section.
Table of Contents
XAT 2022 – Exam Pattern
XAT 2022 exam pattern consists of 4 sections namely verbal ability and reasoning, decision making, quantitative ability and data interpretation and general knowledge.
|Sections||Number of questions||Total Time|
|Verbal and Logical Ability||26|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||28|
Note: There is no sectional time limit for Part-1
XAT 2022 – Verbal Ability
The XAT verbal ability section consists of 26 questions as per the XAT exam pattern. Out of these, the majority of the questions will be focused on reading comprehension. It is well known that XAT reading comprehension passages are tough as they are not fact-based like other exams, instead, they are more inclined towards inference based. In addition to that, the reading comprehension section is lengthy and information-dense.
XAT Verbal Ability – Important Points
- The verbal ability section consists of 26 questions
- The level of difficulty for the verbal section is moderate to tough
- The verbal ability section contains questions mostly from RC passages
- The RC passages are lengthy, inference based and information dense, thus consuming quite a bit of time to solve.
- Candidates can expect a minimum of 4 RC passages in the exam, each consisting of three questions.
- In addition to the RC passages, there might also be poems included. The poems can be moderate to difficult.
XAT 2021 – Verbal Ability Break-up
The topic-wise break up of the Verbal ability for XAT 2021 is presented below for the candidate’s reference. Candidates preparing for XAT 2022 can expect a similar kind of paper in the exam.
|Reading Comprehension (Passage + Poem)||17|
|Fill in the blanks – 4 blanks||1|
|Grammar – Correct the sentence||3|
|Para jumble – 5 sentences||2|
It can be seen that XAT verbal ability sections give more than 50% weightage to reading comprehension. Therefore, candidates should give more emphasis on reading comprehension to score good marks in the verbal ability section.
The other areas that are covered under the VALR section include critical reasoning, para jumbles, filling in the blanks, poem comprehension and correcting the sentence etc.
Tips to Crack XAT Verbal Ability
The following preparation tips will help the candidates appearing for XAT 2022 in their preparation for the XAT exam.
- Candidates should form a habit of extensive reading during the preparation of XAT 2022, as it will benefit them not only in reading comprehension but also in other areas such as sentence correction, vocabulary etc.
- The area of study should be broad as the reading comprehension passages in the XAT paper are mostly based on history, arts and culture, psychology and philosophy.
- It is suggested to candidates to not indulge in speed reading in XAT. This is due to the fact that XAT reading comprehension passages are inference based and candidates may miss out on vital information if it is read like fact-based passages.
- Also, some of the candidates may have the habit of reading the question first and then the passage. This approach also needs to be changed as XAT passages are more complex and answers are inference based, therefore it will be time-consuming to shuffle between questions and passages in the exam.
- Try and complete the verbal ability section within 50-55 minutes as it will give you enough time to concentrate on the other two sections in part1.
- Do not spend too much time on one question as it will reduce the time for attempting other questions.
- If you are not sure of any answer do not try to guess, as the XAT exam has negative marking for the Part-1 sections. Negative marking will only reduce your score.
XAT Verbal Ability – Best Books
The following are the list of some books that can be used for XAT verbal ability preparation:
- High School English Grammar & Composition by Wren & Martin.
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension by Ajay Singh
- A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal
XAT Verbal ability is one of those sections with most questions after Quantitative aptitude, so candidates must prepare well for this section. We hope this blog tips on how to crack verbal ability for XAT help the candidates in their XAT exam preparation.
There are 26 questions in the Verbal Ability section as per the XAT exam pattern.
XAT is been conducted in the online mode since 2018.
For XAT VA & LR section the following books can be referred:
1. High School English Grammar & Composition by Wren & Martin.
2. Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
3. Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension by Ajay Singh
4. A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal