The Indian Government has launched various projects for the welfare and protection of animals. Two such successful initiatives are the Project Tiger & Project Elephant. The relevance of these topics in Bank & Government exams is unquestionable. Last year’s SSC CGL exam had a few questions from these topics, and there’s a high chance it might appear in this year’s exams too.
Let us learn more about Project Tiger & Project Elephant in detail:
What is Project Tiger?
Project Tiger is an initiative launched by the Government of India in the year 1973, to conserve our National animal, the Tiger. The project is centrally sponsored by the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate change and covers 47 Tiger reserves across 18 tiger range states (about 2.08% of India’s Geographical area).
All the activities are carried out by a statutory body formed by the Ministry, called National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA), which performs the functions provided in the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972.
The tiger reserves are categorized into ‘Core’ & ‘Buffer’.
Core: Areas having the legal status of a Wildlife Sanctuary or National Park, where exclusive tiger agendas are fostered
Buffer (peripheral areas): Multiple use areas which are a mix of forest and non-forest lands, where inclusive people-oriented agendas are fostered
What are the functions carried out under Project Tiger?
- Providing central assistance to states with the tiger reserves, like, protection, habitat amelioration, monitoring, eco-development for the people residing in buffer areas, relocation of people from core areas, addressing the human-wildlife conflicts.
- Alerting the states, with tiger reserves, when required
- Level monitoring using cameras to keep photo ID’s of individual tigers
- Transmitting information relating to poachers
- Using thermal cameras and IT for improved surveillance
- Advising the states to check for snares/traps through combing
- Providing central assistance to states with tiger reserves for anti-poaching operations
- Performing regular field visits through offices of NTCA
- Providing permission to patrol outside sensitive tiger reserves
- Preparing national database of individual tigers with their photo IDs
- Providing the states assistance to refine their monitoring systems
- Assisting the states to provide local workforce to assist the field staff
- Assisting states to deploy, raise and arm the Special Tiger Protection Force
- Managing the moving of tigers in human-dominated lands
- Preserving areas with biological importance
- Using IT for wildlife crime prevention
- Strengthening protection infrastructure
- Maintaining the distribution of tigers in the country
- Managing habitats as per the Tiger Conservation Plans
- Relocation of people from critical tiger habitats
- Strengthening the offices of NTCA
- Consolidating & declaring new tiger reserves
- Fostering research
List of Tiger Reserves in India:
|Sanjay Dubri||Madhya Pradesh|
|Biligiri Ranganatha Temple||Karnataka|
|Kalakad Mundanthurai||Tamil Nadu|
|Nagarjunasagar-Srisailam||Andhra Pradesh, Telangana|
What is Project Elephant?
Project Elephant was also launched by the Government of India in the year 1992, to protect elephants & their habitats, address the man-wildlife conflicts and for the welfare of captive elephants.
What are the functions of Project Elephant?
- Provide Financial & Technical support to elephant-bearing states
- Restoring the natural habitats & migratory routes of elephants
- Developing scientific & planned management system to conserve elephant habitats
- Taking measures for mitigation of man-elephant conflicts
- Protecting elephants from poachers
- Research on improving elephant management issues
- Awareness and public education programs
- Ecological development
- Veterinary care
- Rehabilitation and rescue centers for elephants
List of elephant reserves in India:
|Eastern Dooars||West Bengal|
|South Arunachal||Arunachal Pradesh|
|Kaziranga – Karbi Anglong||Assam|
We hope the above contributes to your upcoming Bank & Government exam preparations.
We wish you all the very best!
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests, and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
The most comprehensive online preparation portal for MBA, Banking and Government exams. Explore a range of mock tests and study material at www.oliveboard.in