Get All the Important Current Affairs of 12th Oct 2021 in this blog. It covers all important sections like Banking Current Affairs, Finance Current Affairs, Sports Current Affairs, Latest Appointments, Awards and more. In this blog, you also get to solve Important Current Affairs MCQs of 12th Oct 2021.
Table of Contents
Daily Current Affairs 12th Oct 2021
World Arthritis Day is observed every year on October 12 to raise awareness about arthritis, an inflammatory condition that causes pain and stiffness in joints which can worsen with age.
- This day was started by Arthritis and Rheumatism International (ARI) in 1996 in order to spread awareness about arthritis and encourage policymakers to help reduce the burden of arthritis.
- The World Arthritis Day theme 2021 is Don’t Delay, Connect Today: Time2Work..
PM Modi launched the Indian Space Association on October 11 via videoconferencing.
- The ISpA is a private industry body that will act as a premier industry body for space and satellite companies in the country.
- ISpA will be represented by homegrown and global corporations with advanced capabilities in space and satellite technologies.
- ISpA will work towards boosting space technology in India, with focus on capacity building and space economic hubs and incubators in India.
Unique clove spice grown in the hills of Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu has been awarded a geographical indication (GI) as ‘Kanyakumari clove’.
- In India, the total production of cloves is 1,100 metric tons and of this, 1,000 metric tons is produced in Tamil Nadu every year while 750 metric tons of cloves are produced in the Kanyakumari district alone.
- Apart from this, the traditional dye-painted figurative and patterned cloth called Karuppur kalamkari paintings and the wood carvings of Kallakurichi from Tamil Nadu have also received GI tags.
Wada Kolam, a rice variety widely grown in Palghar district in Maharashtra has received the ‘Geographical Indication’ (GI) tag, which means the product now gets a unique identity as well as the wider market base.
- The traditional variety of Wada Kolam rice, also known as Zini or Jhini rice, is grown in the Wada tehsil of Palghar district in Maharashtra.
- Madhya Pradesh continues to fight a legal battle to get Geographical Indication (GI) tag for basmati rice (PB1) produced in the state, Chinnor rice produced in Balaghat district has bagged the GI tag.
The famed white onion of Alibag in Maharashtra’s Raigad district was given the
Geographical Indication (GI) tag bringing worldwide recognition to its unique sweet taste, no-tears factor, as well as its medicinal properties.
- The soil of Alibaug taluka has low sulphur content.
Judima, a homemade rice wine from Assam and Sojat Mehndi (Henna) from Rajasthan, has been awarded the geographical indication (GI) tag.
- Judima is a local fermented drink made with rice, brewed by the Dimasa community in Assam. It derives its name from words ‘ju’ which means wine and Dima means ‘belonging to the Dimasa’. It is the first traditional brew in all of northeast to bag GI tag.
- Sojat tehsil of the Pali district in Rajasthan has a suitable geological structure, topography and drainage system, climate and soil for naturally cultivating the mehndi leave crop.
David Card, Joshua D.Angrist, Guido W. Imbens have been awarded the Nobel in Economic Sciences 2021.
- Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said the three have “completely reshaped empirical work in the economic sciences.”
Nobel Prize in Literature 2021 was awarded to Abdulrazak Gurnah born in Zanzibar and active in England, “for his uncompromising and compassionate penetration of the effects of colonialism and the fate of the refugee in the gulf between cultures and continents.
- Tanzanian novelist was born in Zanzibar in 1948 and has since lived in the UK and Nigeria.
- He writes in English, and his most famous novel is Paradise, which was shortlisted for the Booker prize in 1994
- Gurnah currently lives in the UK and taught English Literature at the University of Kent.
2021 Nobel Peace Prize
- The 2021 Nobel Peace Prize have been conferred jointly upon Filipino-American
- journalist Maria Ressa and Russian journalist Dmitry Muratov.
- The duo have been honoured “for their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression, which is a precondition for democracy and lasting peace”.
- Maria Angelita Ressa is a Filipino-American journalist and author, the co-founder and CEO of Rappler, a Philippine online news website.
- Dmitry Andreyevich Muratov is a Russian journalist and editor-in-chief of the Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta
Well-known Telugu filmmaker B Gopal, alias Bejawada Gopal, has been chosen for the fourth Satyajit Ray Award for his overall contribution to Indian cinema.
- Gopal has directed 30 films Telugu films and two Hindi movies.
- He was selected by a panel comprising Malayalam filmmaker Balu Kiriyath, music director Perumbavoor G Raveendranath and others.
- The award is instituted by the Satyajit Ray Film Society Kerala, a state-based organisation, the award comprises Rs 10,000 cash prize, a memento, and a plaque.
Dr G Satheesh Reddy, Secretary DDR&D and Chairman DRDO, has been conferred the prestigious Aryabhata Award for 2021 by the Astronautical Society of India.
- Dr G Satheesh Reddy has been honoured for his outstanding lifetime contribution to the promotion of astronautics in India.
- The Aryabhata Award is presented annually to individuals with notable lifetime contributions in the field of astronautics and aerospace technology in India by the Astronautical Society of India.
- The award consists of a citation and Rs. 1,00,000 in cash.
Indian National Hockey players clinch each category of FIH Hockey Stars Awards 2020- 21
- Fédération Internationale de Hockey, commonly known by the acronym FIH, is the international governing body of field hockey and indoor field hockey.
- Its headquarters are in Lausanne, Switzerland
- President is Dr Narinder Dhruv Batra.
- Founded: 7 January 1924, Paris, France
- Official language: English, French
List of winners of FIH Stars Awards 2020-21
1. FIH Women’s Player of the Year: Gurjit Kaur
2. FIH Men’s Player of the Year: Harmanpreet Singh
3. FIH Men’s Coach of the Year: Graham Reid (Australia – Team IND)
4. FIH Women’s Coach of the Year: Sjoerd Marijne (Netherlands – Team IND)
5. FIH Women’s Goalkeeper of the Year: Savita Punia
6. FIH Men’s Goalkeeper of the Year: PR Sreejesh
7. FIH Men’s Rising Star of the Year: Vivek Prasad
8. FIH Women’s Rising Star of the Year: Sharmila Devi
Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) has won the F1 Turkish Grand Prix 2021, held on October 10, 2021. This is his first title of this season.
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) came second while Sergio Perez (Mexico- Red Bull) finished third.
- Meanwhile Lewis Hamilton finished fifth.
The second phase of Exercise Malabar 2021, between the Quad countries, will be conducted in the Bay of Bengal from October 12 to 15, 2021
1. Phase 1 of Exercise Malabar 2021 was conducted off the coast of Guam, in the Philippine Sea, in the Western Pacific from August 26 to 29, 2021.
2. Exercise Malabar 2021 is the 25th edition of MALABAR.
3. The Indian Navy will participate with INS Ranvijay, INS Satpura, P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft and a Submarine.
4. Japan Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF), Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and the United States Navy (USN) are the other participants in the exercise.
5. The Exercise Malabar was first held in 1992 as a bilateral drill between the Indian Navy and the US Navy in the Indian Ocean. Later in 2015, Japan became a permanent member of the exercise
Books and Author
The Custodian of Trust: A Banker’s Memoir” book by former SBI Chairman Rajnish Kumar has been released recently.
- The book is published by Penguin Random House India.
- The book follows Kumar’s journey from a modest house in the old city of Meerut to being a probationary officer in SBI in 1980 and growing to the post of Chairman in 2017.
2021 Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) Report
- The report is produced jointly by UNDP and the Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative (OPHI).
- The report provides estimates on multidimensional poverty across 109 developing
- countries (with data from surveys ranging 2009-2019/2020); These include 26 low-income countries, 80 middle-income countries and 3 high-income countries
- The index measures each person’s deprivations across 10 indicators divided into three equally weighted dimensions.
Key Finding of the 2021 Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) Report
1. The finding is based across 109 countries and 5.9 billion people. of this, 1.3 billion people are multidimensionally poor (or 21.7%)
2. About half (644 million) are children under age 18.
3. About 8.2 per cent (105 million) are age 60 or older.
4. Nearly 85 per cent live in Sub-Saharan Africa (556 million) or South Asia (532 million).
5. 84 per cent (1.1 billion) live in rural areas, and 16 per cent (about 209 million) live in urban areas.
6. More than 67 per cent live in middle-income countries.
7. In India, five out of six multidimensionally poor people were from lower tribes or castes.
Current Affairs 12th Oct 2021 – MCQs
Q. Name the wrestler who has become the first Indian woman to win silver in World
Championships in the women’s 57kg final in Oslo, Norway.
(a) Anshu Malik
(b) Babita Phogat
(c) Geeta Phogat
(d) Pooja Dhanda
(e) Vinesh Phogat
Answer: Option A
- Wrestler Anshu Malik became the first Indian woman to win silver in World Championships as she went down fighting against Helen Maroulis in the women’s 57kg final in Oslo on 7th Oct.
- It was a heroic performance from the Nidani wrestler, who became the only fifth Indian woman to win a worlds medal and so far the best one.
- Geeta Phogat (2012), Babita Phogat (2012), Pooja Dhanda (2018) and Vinesh Phogat (2019) have won a bronze each.
Q. Reliance New Energy Solar has acquired Norwegian solar manufacturing company “REC Solar” for how much amount?
(a) $389 million
(b) $402 million
(c) $529 million
(d) $685 million
(e) $771 million
Answer: Option E
- Reliance Industries formally announced the outright acquisition of Norwegian solar manufacturing company REC Solar for an enterprise value of $771 million.
- Reliance, who made the deal through its wholly-owned subsidiary Reliance New Energy Solar, will use REC’s advanced technologies and patents to build a 4 gigawatt (GW) manufacturing facility in Jamnagar, Gujarat as part of its ‘giga factories’.
Q. National Tiger Conservation Authority has approved which state government’s proposal to declare the combined areas of the Guru Ghasidas National Park & Tamor Pingla Wildlife Sanctuary as a Tiger Reserve?
(c) Jammu & Kashmir
(d) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: Option A
- National Tiger Conservation Authority has approved the Chhattisgarh government’s proposal to declare the combined areas of the Guru Ghasidas National Park & Tamor Pingla Wildlife Sanctuary as a Tiger Reserve.
- It became the 53rd tiger reserve in India
- This is the 4th Tiger Reserve in Chhattisgarh (Udanti-Sitanadi, Achanakmar, Indravati).
- National Tiger Conservation Authority was established in December 2005
Q. Reserve Bank of India has announced the theme for Fourth Cohort under Regulatory Sandbox. What is the theme of it?
a) MSME Lending
b) Retail Payment
c) Prevention and Mitigation of Financial Frauds
d) Cross-border Payment
Answer: Option C
1. The first cohort for regulatory sandbox was under the theme of retail payments.
2. In its second cohort under regulatory sandbox the RBI had announced ‘Cross-border Payments’ as its theme
3. Third Cohort under the Regulatory Sandbox (RS) as theme MSME Lending
4. Reserve Bank of India has announced the theme for Fourth Cohort under Regulatory Sandbox. The theme is “Prevention and Mitigation of Financial Frauds”.
Q. Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has said that the next Hunar Haat will be organised in _________Uttar Pradesh from 16th to 25th October this year.
Answer: Option C
- This Hunar Haat is being organised as a part of series of 75 Hunar Haat going to be organised across the country under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Mr Naqvi said that Vishwakarma Vatika will be one of the main attractions in Hunar Haat to be organised across the country. It will be helpful in preserving and promoting the traditional art and craft of the country.
That is all from us in this blog on Current Affairs 12th Oct 2021.