Get All the Important Current Affairs of 5th Oct 2021 in this blog. It covers all important sections like Banking Current Affairs, Finance Current Affairs, Sports Current Affairs, Latest Appointments, Awards and more. In this blog, you also get to solve Important Current Affairs MCQs of 5th Oct 2021.
Table of Contents
Daily Current Affairs 5th Oct 2021
- Ganga River Dolphin Day’ is observed every year on October 5, to raise awareness and encourage conservation of Ganga River Dolphins.
- It was on this day in 2010, that Ganga Dolphins were declared national aquatic animals.
- Then, in 2012, the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and Uttar Pradesh government jointly began the dolphin conservation campaign in the country.
- India’s and Asia’s first National Dolphin Research Centre (NDRC) will come upon the bank of the Ganges in the premises of Patna University
- Indus River Dolphins have been declared Punjab’s State aquatic animal.
- World Teachers’ Day, also known as International Teachers Day, is held annually on October 5 since 1994.
- The Theme for 2021 International Teachers Day is “Teachers at the heart of education recovery”.
- The day was established in 1994, to commemorate the signing of the 1966 UNESCO/ILO Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers, which is a standard-setting instrument that addresses the status and situations of teachers around the world.
2021 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Two American scientists David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian have jointly won the 2021 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine on October 04, 2021.
- They have been honoured for the discovery of receptors in the skin that sense temperature and touch and could pave the way for new pain-killers.
- The prestigious award comes with a gold medal and 10 million Swedish kronor (over $1.14 million).
World Expo 2020 has been organised in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022.
- The main theme of the Dubai Expo 2020 is “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future”
- The Expo was originally scheduled to take place from 20 October 2020 to 10 April 2021, but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Expo 2020 is the first to be held in the MENA & SA (the Middle East and North Africa & South Asia) region.
- Purpose: World Expos provide a platform to showcase the greatest innovations that have shaped the world we live in today.
- The grand event will have 191 country pavilions.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi participated at the launch of India Pavilion at Dubai Expo 2020 through video conferencing on October 01, 2021.
- He invited global investors to invest in India and be a part of India’s growth story.
- The theme of India pavilion at the Expo is “Openness, Opportunity and Growth”
- It will showcase resurgent India’s march to becoming a USD 5 Trillion economy, exceptional fightback against COVID-19 and the country’s emergence as a global business hub presenting huge opportunities for the world.
8th Edition of the “India Sri Lanka bilateral joint Exercise” called Mitra Shakti will be conducted from October 4 to October 15, 2021, at Combat Training School, Ampara in Sri Lanka.
- This exercise will be conducted with the aim of promoting close relations between Armies of India and Sri Lanka. It also seeks to enhance inter-operability and share best practices to counter insurgency and terrorism operations.
FC Goa beat Mohammedan Sporting to win their maiden Durand Cup football title, 1-0, in the final, held at Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan, Kolkata on October 03, 2021.
- FC Goa Captain Eduardo Bedia scored the all important goal in the 105th minute after the final match went into the extra time.
- The 2021 Durand Cup was the 130th edition of Durand Cup, the oldest football tournament in Asia
On October 04, 2021, the Parliament of Japan voted for former Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida to become the new Prime Minister of the country.
- The 64-year-old Kishida received 257 votes, from 249 parliament members to be sworn in as the 100th Prime Minister of the country.
- He replaces Yoshihide Suga, who submitted his resignation along with his entire cabinet on October 04, 2021.
Prime Minister of Ethiopia, Abiy Ahmed has been sworn in for a second five-year term on October 04, 2021.
- Mr Abiy, the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize winner, is serving as prime minister of Ethiopia since 2018.
- He was administered the oath of office by Supreme Court Chief Justice Meaza Ashenafi.
Colonel Mamady Doumbouya has been sworn in as the Interim President of the coastal West African country of Guinea
- Doumbouy, led the military coup in September 05, 2021, to overthrow 83-year-old President Alpha Conde.
- Doumbouya will serve as transitional president until the country returns to civilian rule.
B C Patnaik has taken charge as the managing director (MD) of the Life Insurance Corporation of India.
- He was appointed as Managing Director vide a government notification dated July 5, 2021.
- Prior to taking charge as MD of LIC, Patnaik was the Secretary-General, Council for Insurance Ombudsman, (CIO) Mumbai.
- He joined as a Direct Recruit Officer in 1986.
Government is considering appointing Soma Sankara Prasad, the deputy managing director of State Bank of India, as managing director of Kolkata-based UCO Bank.
- The Banks Board Bureau (BBB) has suggested the name of UCO Bank Managing Director Atul Kumar Goel for heading Punjab National Bank as MD.
- The managing director position of PNB will fall vacant after the superannuation of S S Mallikarjuna Rao in January.
Automotive Skills Development Council (ASDC) has appointed automobile industry veteran Vinod Aggarwal as its president.
- Aggarwal, who is currently the managing director and CEO of VE Commercial Vehicles Ltd (VECV), replaces Nikunj Sanghi, who will leave ASDC after serving it for four years.
Executive Council of the Indian Society of Advertisers (ISA) has elected Sunil Kataria, Chief Executive Officer, India and SAARC, Godrej Consumer Products Limited as the Chairman of the ISA.
- Sunil has led the Society over the past five years to greater heights garnering support from the fellow Executive Council members, the ISA members and other industry bodies.
Air Marshal B.R. Krishna assumed charge of Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to the Chairman of Chiefs of Staff Committee (CISC).
- Commissioned as a fighter pilot in 1983, Air Marshal Krishna has had a distinguished career spanning over 38 years.
- Qualified Flying Instructor and experimental test pilot, he has flown a wide variety of fighters, transport aircraft and helicopters in the inventory of Indian Air Force (IAF). He has over 5,000 hours of flying experience including operational, instructional and test flying.
Uttar Pradesh government led by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has named veteran Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut as the brand ambassador of the ambitious ”One District One Product (ODOP) scheme’‘ of the state.
- The UP government has launched the one district-one product (ODOP) programme with the aim to create product-specific traditional industrial hubs across 75 districts of the state.
- The scheme encourage such indigenous and specialized products and crafts of UP that are not found anywhere else.
Najla Bouden Romdhane has been appointed as the first-ever female Prime Minister of Tunisia
- The 63-year-old has also become the first female prime minister in the whole Arab world.
- Prior to this appointment, Najla served in the education ministry in 2011.
- She is a geologist by profession and professor at the Tunis National School of Engineering.
National Basketball Association (NBA) has named Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh as its brand ambassador for India.
- The season 2021-22 marks the 75th anniversary of the NBA and the appointment of Ranveer Singh as its Brand Ambassador for India will help the league to grow in India.
- National Basketball Association is a professional basketball league in North America
Amish Mehta has been appointed as the new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (MD & CEO) of rating agency Crisil with effect from October 01, 2021.
- He has replaced Ashu Suyash.
- Crisil is owned by S&P.
- Crisil has revised India’s real GDP growth projection for 2021-22 downwards to 9.5 per cent from 11 per cent estimated earlier.
Government of India has extended the additional charge of PK Purwar as chairman and managing director (CMD) of MTNL (telecom firm) for a period of one year till 14-10-2022.
- PK Purwar is also the Chairman and managing director of BSNL.
- The government has already announced the merger of BSNL and MTNL.
Air Chief Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari assumed charge as the new “The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS)” on September 30, 2021. He is the 27th CAS.
- He succeeds Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria.
- Prior to this appointment he served as the 45th Vice Chief of the Air Staff since July 01, 2021, succeeding Air Marshal Harjit Singh Arora.
- Meanwhile, Air Marshal Sandeep Singh has been appointed as the new and 46th Vice Chief of the Air Staff (VCAS) of the Indian Air Force (IAF) with effect from October 01, 2021.
Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, G C Murmu has been selected as the external auditor of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), for a period of six years
- His tenure will be valid from 2022 to 2027.
- Murmu was selected as the next external auditor of the IAEA at the General Conference of the IAEA in Vienna on September 24, 2021.
- The IAEA is a prestigious institution that promotes peaceful use of nuclear energy. Headquarter – Vienna, Austria.
- IAEA Director is General Rafael Mariano Grossi
C K Ranganathan has been appointed as the new President of the All India Management Association (AIMA) for a period of one year. He is the Chairman & Managing Director of CavinKare.
- His appointment will be valid till September 2022, i.e. till the next National Management Convention.
- Ranganathan has taken over from Harsh Pati Singhania, JK Paper Vice Chairman & Managing Director.
- AIMA is a national apex body (statutory body) for the regulation and licensing of management profession in India. It is under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
Iconic Indian comic book cartoon character, Chacha Chaudhary, whose brain works faster than a computer, has been declared as the official mascot for the centrally-sponsored Namami Gange Programme.
- An outlay of Rs. 2.26 crore has been dedicated to the project. The comics will initially be launched in Hindi, English and Bengali languages.
- ‘Namami Gange’ programme is an Integrated Conservation Mission initiated as a flagship programme with a budget outlay of Rs. 20,000 crore in June 2014.
- Faridabad Smart City Limited has roped in an unlikely collaborator to help promote its initiatives on social media – comic hero Chacha Chaudhary
Ministry of Labour has reconstituted the Expert Group on Fixation of Minimum Wages and National Floor Wages.
- The nine-member new committee will now be headed by the economist and statistician SP Mukherjee (emeritus professor at the University of Kolkata).
- Earlier in June 2021, government had constituted this committee under the Chairmanship of Professor Ajit Mishra (director of the Institute of Economic Growth).
- The new expert group has been constituted for a period of three years.
- Expert group is expected to look into international best practices on wages and evolve a scientific criteria and methodology for fixation of wage in the country.
Government has formed a 7 member group of ministers (GoM) for proposing a rationalization of tax rates and considering the merger of different tax slabs under GST. This GoM will be headed by the Chief Minister of Karnataka Basavaraj S. Bommai.
- The government has formed one more GoM which will look at tapping IT tools to minimize tax evasion and make compliance easier for taxpayers. Ajit Pawar, Maharashtra deputy CM has been made the convenor of this GoM.
Union Ministry of Education has formed a 12-member committee to develop new national curriculum frameworks (NCFs) for school, early childhood, teacher and adult education.
- The NCFs serve as a guideline for syllabus, textbook and teaching practices for schools in India.
- The panel will be headed by K Kasturirangan, former chief of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Chairperson of National Education Policy-2020 (NEP-2020) drafting committee.
- As per the terms of reference of the committee the panel will develop four NCFs, i.e. for school education, early childhood care and education, teacher education and adult education.
Veteran television actor Ghanashyam Nayak, who was famous for his role as Nattu Kaka in the TV series Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah has passed away due to cancer. He was 77
- Ghanashyam Nayak was known for playing the role of Natwarlal Prabhashankar Undhaiwala AKA Nattu Kaka in the famous show Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah.
- Apart from this he has worked in over 100 Gujarati and Hindi films and around 350 Hindi television serials.
Current Affairs 5th Oct 2021 – MCQs
Q. Which of the following is not an example of plastic money?
A) Debit Card
B) Credit Card
C) ATM Card
E) All of the above
Answer: Option D
Q. The term MICR is closely related to which of the following payment system?
E) All of the above
Answer: Option C
Q. Who has been appointed as the managing director and chief executive officer (MD & CEO) of National Securities Depositories (NSDL)?
a) Padmaja Chunduru
b) G C Murmu
c) PK Purwar
d) Amish Mehta
e) Ranveer Singh
Answer: Option A
Padmaja Chunduru has been appointed as the managing director and chief executive officer (MD & CEO) of National Securities Depositories (NSDL). She has replaced GV Nageswara Rao as the MD & CEO of NSDL.
Q. Who has written a new book titled “The Long Game: How the Chinese Negotiate with India”.
a) Indra Nooyi
b) Wole Soyinka
c) Vijay Gokhale
d) Nirupama Menon Rao
e) Amitav Ghosh
Answer: Option C
The book explores the history of how China has negotiated with India, be it the early years after Independence or the current times, based on six historical and recent events in the India-China relationship
Q.Union Minister of Law and Justice, Shri Kiren Rijiju has inaugurated the first Sports Arbitration Centre of India in which city?
Answer: Option A
This Sports Arbitration Centre of India (SACI) will serve as an independent body to fast track disputes in the sports sector and serve as a mechanism to redress issues related to sports.
That is all from us in this blog on Current Affairs 5th Oct 2021.