The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) is an autonomous and statutory body constituted under the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act 1999, is entrusted with the task of regulating, promoting and developing the Insurance and reinsurance industry in India. In this blog we would learn about the role of IRDAI in India’s Insurance Industry. NIACL AO Study Material – Role of IRDAI in India’s Insurance Industry will be a very important topic when it come to Insurance Exams like NIACL AO, NICL AO, LIC AAO, UIIC AO, OICL AO etc.
NIACL AO Study Material – Role of IRDAI in India’s Insurance Industry
Mission Statement of IRDAI
- To protect the interest of and secure fair treatment to policyholders.
- To bring about speedy and orderly growth of the insurance industry for the benefit of the common man, and to provide long term funds for accelerating growth of the economy.
- To set, promote, monitor and enforce high standards of integrity, financial soundness, fair dealing and competence of those it regulates.
- To ensure speedy settlement of genuine claims and to prevent insurance frauds and other malpractices and put in place effective grievance redressal machinery.
- To promote fairness, transparency and orderly conduct in financial markets dealing with insurance and build a reliable management information system to enforce high standards of financial soundness amongst market players.
- To take action where such standards are inadequate or ineffectively enforced.
- To bring about optimum amount of self-regulation in day-to-day working of the industry consistent with the requirements of prudential regulation.
Also Read: NIACL AO Study Material – Important Government Insurance Schemes
Duties, Powers and Functions of IRDAI
- Issue to the applicant a certificate of registration, renew, modify, withdraw, suspend or cancel such registration
- Protection of the interests of the policy holders in matters concerning assigning of policy, nomination by policy holders, insurable interest, settlement of insurance claim, surrender value of policy and other terms and conditions of contracts of insurance
- Specifying requisite qualifications, code of conduct and practical training for intermediary or insurance intermediaries and agents
- Specifying the code of conduct for surveyors and loss assessors
- Promoting efficiency in the conduct of insurance business
- Promoting and regulating professional organisations connected with the insurance and re-insurance business
- Levying fees and other charges for carrying out the purposes of this Act
- Calling for information from, undertaking inspection of, conducting inquiries and investigations including audit of the insurers, intermediaries, insurance intermediaries and other organisations connected with the insurance business
- Control and regulation of the rates, advantages, terms and conditions that may be offered by insurers in respect of general insurance business not so controlled and regulated by the Tariff Advisory Committee under section 64U of the Insurance Act, 1938 (4 of 1938)
- Specifying the form and manner in which books of account shall be maintained and statement of accounts shall be rendered by insurers and other insurance intermediaries
- Regulating investment of funds by insurance companies
- Regulating maintenance of margin of solvency
- Adjudication of disputes between insurers and intermediaries or insurance intermediaries
- Supervising the functioning of the Tariff Advisory Committee
- Specifying the percentage of premium income of the insurer to finance schemes for promoting and regulating professional organisations referred to in clause (f)
- Specifying the percentage of life insurance business and general insurance business to be undertaken by the insurer in the rural or social sector and
- Exercising such other powers as may be prescribed.
This was all from us in this blog of NIACL AO Study Material – Role of IRDAI in India’s Insurance Industry. We hope that you like the information provided in this blog. Keep visiting Oliveboard for more such informative content for various Banking and Government Examinations.
Click here for more information and free study material for NIACL AO 2018 Exam.
Preparing for more exams like IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, IBPS SO, Railways RRB ALP, SSC CGL, SSC CPO, SEBI Grade A, ESIC SSO, LIC HFL? Ace your exam preparation with mock tests from Oliveboard. Also, refer to informative articles on exam preparation here. You can also take Oliveboard’s RRB JE Mock tests.
- IBPS Clerk 2021 Mock Test: Attempt Now
- IBPS PO 2021 Mock Test: Attempt Now
- SBI PO 2021 – Attempt Free Mock Test Here
- यहाँ पर नि: शुल्क UP पुलिस एसआई मॉक टेस्ट के लिए रजिस्टर करें
- यहाँ पर नि: शुल्क राजस्थान Gram Sevak मॉक टेस्ट के लिए रजिस्टर करें
- यहाँ पर नि: शुल्क UP Lekhpal मॉक टेस्ट के लिए रजिस्टर करें