Get All the Important Current Affairs of 22nd Oct 2021 in this blog. It covers all important sections like Banking Current Affairs, Finance Current Affairs, Sports Current Affairs, Latest Appointments, Awards and more. In this blog, you also get to solve Important Current Affairs MCQs of 22nd Oct 2021.
Table of Contents
Daily Current Affairs 22nd Oct 2021
International Stuttering Awareness Day: 22 October
- Every year October 22 is observed as International Stuttering Awareness Day, since 1998.
- The day is intended to raise public awareness of the millions of people who have a speech disorder of stuttering or stammering.
- Theme 2021: “Speak the change you wish to see”
A Russian film crew has scripted record by undertaking the first-ever motion picture
shooting session in the International Space Station (ISS).
- The Russian film director Klim Shipenko and actress Yulia Peresild spent 12 days in the ISS for filming 30 minutes duration scenes for the film “The Challenge”. It took around 30 hours to record the material while in space.
- The Challenge” is the first feature film to be shot in space.
- The film is based on the life of a woman doctor who goes to space to save a cosmonaut’s life.
Government has decided to extend the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package (PMGKP):
Insurance Scheme for Health Care Workers Fighting COVID-19’ for a further period of 180
days with effect from October 21, 2021.
- The current period of the policy was to end on October 20, 2021.
- The insurance policy was announced on March 30, 2020, which aims to provide an insurance cover of Rs 50 lakh to nearly 22.12 lakh health workers who are deputed to take care of COVID-19 patients
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package
- Insurance cover of Rs 50 Lakh per health worker fighting COVID-19 to be provided under Insurance Scheme – extended for one-year effective April 2021
- 80 crore poor people will to get 5 kg wheat or rice and 1 kg of preferred pulses for free every month for the next three months – extended to November 2021 (initially, the package was extended to May & June 2021; originally, it was extended to November 2020)
- 20 crore women Jan Dhan account holders to get Rs 500 per month for next three months
- Increase in MNREGA wage to Rs 202 a day from Rs 182 to benefit 13.62 crore families
- An ex-gratia of Rs 1,000 to 3 crore poor senior citizen, poor widows and poor disabled
- Government to front-load Rs 2,000 paid to farmers in first week of April 2020 under existing PM Kisan Yojana to benefit 8.7 crore farmers
State in News
Madhya Pradesh (MP) has announced the implementation of the scheme ‘‘Mukhyamantri
Ration Apke Dwar Yojana”, which will start from November 2021.
- Under this scheme, the ration will be provided at the doorstep of the villagers where there are no Fair Price Shops (FPS).
- Aim: To provide ration material to the vulnerable sections such as Divyanga (SpeciallyAbled) and senior citizens near their homes. To ensure proper ration supply for poor tribal families in each village bin 74 tribal dominated blocks of 16 districts.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of Rs 1 crore on Paytm Payments Bank
Limited (PPBL) over certain specified violations, as referred in Section 26 (2) of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007.
RBI observed that the information submitted during Paytm Payments Bank’s application for
issue of the final Certificate of Authorisation (CoA) did not reflect the factual position.
List of Banks who has been imposed penalty by RBI Recently
- RBI imposed Rs 25 lakh penalty on Punjab & Sind Bank for non-compliance with certain provisions of directions on ‘Cyber Security Framework in Banks.
- Fined Axis Bank Rs 5 crore for non-compliance with certain rules
- RBI imposed a penalty of Rs 50.35 lakh on Janalaxmi Co-operative Bank
- RBI imposed Rs 25 lakh fine on Axis Bank for flouting KYC norms
- RBI imposed Rs 2 crore penalty on RBL Bank for breaching deposit, board composition norms
- RBI imposed Rs 1 crore penalty on SBI for non-compliance
- Fine of Rs 1.95 crore on the Standard Chartered Bank for failing to report a cyber security incident within the prescribed time period
Kumar Mangalam Birla, the Chairman of Aditya Birla Group, is set to invest in Zand, the first digital only independent bank in UAE.
- For this investment, Birla will partner with Hamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Managing Director of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA).
- Initial investment is projected between $50-$100 million, which is expected to be made from Birla’s private family office.
- Birla is the first Indian to make an invest in the banking system of UAE.
- Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL) has launched India’s first FASTag-based metro parking facility, at the Kashmere Gate metro station in partnership with Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC)
- HDFC Bank and Paytm have partnered to build comprehensive solutions across payment gateway, point of sale machines and credit products.
- Paytm Payments Bank has become the first bank in the country to achieve the milestone of issuing 1 crore FASTags.
- Paytm has announced the launch of Postpaid Mini, small-ticket loans that will give users the flexibility to access loans ranging from Rs 250 – Rs 1,000, in partnership with Aditya Birla Finance Ltd.
- HDFC Bank has announced its partnership with leading payments company Paytm, to offer co-branded credit cards on the Visa platform to businesspersons, millennials and merchants.
- Indonesia beat defending champion China, 3-0, to win the Thomas Cup final played at the Ceres Arena in Aarhus, Denmark
- Japan and hosts Denmark shared the bronze.
- Meanwhile, in Uber Cup, China beat defending champions Japan 3-1, to clinch their 15th Uber Cup trophy.
- South Korea and Thailand shared bronze.
- Thomas Cup is the biennial international badminton championship contested by the men’s national teams of the member associations of Badminton World Federation (BWF) while Uber Cup is women’ team event.
- The 2020 Thomas & Uber Cup was the 31st edition of the Thomas Cup and the 28th edition of the Uber Cup.
Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has appointed veteran sports administrator Sahdev
Yadav as the President. He has been appointed for a period of four-year term.
- Indian Weightlifting Federation otherwise known as IWLF, is the national governing body overseeing the sport of weightlifting in India.
- Other appointments include, Secretary general – Anand Gowde and Treasurer – Naresh Sharma.
- Besides this, 10 vice presidents, four joint secretaries and seven executive committee members were also elected.
Ayushmann Khurrana has been roped in as the brand ambassador of the cryptocurrency
exchange platform CoinDCX to promote its ‘Future Yahi Hai’ campaign.
- Under the campaign, Ayushmann Khurrana will address major questions and doubts and myths related to crypto investments from the perspective of young India.
- Crypto exchange CoinDCX has roped in Amitabh Bachchan as a brand ambassador to spread awareness about cryptocurrencies
- Ranveer Singh appointed as brand ambassador of CoinSwitch Kuber
Chinese Smartphone maker OnePlus has announced the appointment of Navnit Nakra as
its India CEO and Head of OnePlus India region operations.
- Prior to this, Nakra served as the Vice President, Chief Strategy Officer and Head of Sales of OnePlus in India.
- He had joined the company in February 2020.
The renowned film director, producer, and writer, Imtiaz Ali has been roped in as
the ambassador of the Russian Film Festival in India.
- The first-ever online Russian Film Festival in India is organized by ROSKINO, a Russian film promotion body, from October 16 to November 27, 2021.
- As a part of the festival, ten notable Russian films of various genres will be premiered on Disney+ Hotstar for Indian audiences.
- The Russian Film Festival provides an effective platform to Russian government to promote domestic content abroad as well as will act as a ground for many future cinematic collaborations between the India and Russia.
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has set up an expert group headed by Vikas Sheel,
additional secretary in MoHFW to develop a comprehensive tax policy for all tobacco
- The group will analyze the current tax structure of all forms of tobacco, including smokeless tobacco, and suggesting various tax rate models for the preparation of the FY23 and future Union budgets.
- The reason behind this is to prepare a roadmap for reducing tobacco demand according to World Health Organization’s (WHO) plans.
- Union Minister– Mansukh Laxmanbhai Mandaviya (Constituency– Gujarat)
- Minister of State (MoS)– Bharati Pravin Pawar (Constituency- Dindori, Maharashtra)
Current Affairs 22nd Oct 2021 – MCQs
Q. PM Modi inaugurated the Kushinagar International Airport in Uttar Pradesh on
October 20, 2021. The airport has been built at an estimated cost of ________.
a) Rs 140 crore
b) Rs 260 crore
c) Rs 450 crore
d) Rs 390 crore
e) Rs 500 crore
Answer: Option B
- It will facilitate domestic & international pilgrims to visit the Mahaparinirvana sthal of Lord Buddha in Kushinagar.
- The first international flight at the Kushinagar International Airport landed from Colombo, Sri Lanka, carrying Sri Lankan delegation of over hundred Buddhist Monks & dignitaries.
Q. What is the Rank of India in the Global Food Security (GFS) Index 2021
Answer: Option D
- India has achieved the 71st position in the Global Food Security (GFS) Index 2021 from among a list of 113 countries. The overall score of India is 57.2 points on the GFS Index 2021.
- GFS Index: London-based Economist Impact and is sponsored by Corteva Agriscience
- Ireland, Australia, the UK, Finland, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Canada, Japan, France and the US shared the top rank.
- Four main factors include: affordability, availability, quality and safety, and natural resources and resilience.
Q. NITI Aayog in collaboration with which of the following and Energy Ministries of
Government has launched Geospatial Energy Map of India or Geographic Information System (GIS) Energy Map of India to provide a holistic picture of all energy resources of the country.
a) Indian Space Research Organization
b) Defence Research and Development Organisation
c) Geological Survey of India
d) The Energy and Resources Institute
e) Energy Corporation of India Ltd
Answer: Option A
It will identify and locate all primary and secondary sources of energy and their
transportation/transmission networks for a comprehensive view of energy production and
distribution in a country.
Q. Which of the following organisation has organised an International Conference and
Exhibition on Digital technologies, “Future Tech 2021- a Journey of digital transformation to technology adoption and acceleration” from October 19 to 27, 2021.
a) NITI Aayog
c) IISc Bangalore
d) IIT Madras
Answer: Option E
- Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has organised it.
- Theme of the conference is “Driving technologies for building the future, we all can trust”
- The theme will have 5 pillars: Strategy, Growth, Resilience, Inclusiveness, Trust
Q. Who has been elected as the new Chairman of Association of Mutual Funds in India
a) Radhika Gupta
b) Nilesh Shah
c) A Balasubramanian
d) Arun Kumar Mishra
e) Rajnesh Kumar
Answer: Option C
- He replaces Nilesh Shah, the Managing Director of Kotak Mutual Fund.
- Balasubramanian is Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Aditya Birla Sun Life Asset Management.
- Meanwhile, Radhika Gupta, the MD and CEO of Edelweiss AMC, has been appointed as vice chair of AMFI
That is all from us in this blog on Current Affairs 22nd Oct 2021.