Get All the Important Current Affairs of 4th Oct 2021 in this blog. It covers all imporant sections like Banking Current Affairs, Finance Current Affairs, Sports Current Affairs, Latest Appointments, Awards and more. In this blog you also get to solve Important Current Affairs MCQs of 4th Oct 2021
Table of Contents
Daily Current Affairs 4th Oct 2021
- World Habitat Day is observed every year on the First Monday of October throughout the world to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter as well as remind people that they are responsible for the habitat of future generations.
- In 2021, the World Habitat Day is being celebrated on October 04.
- It was officially designated by the United Nations in 1985 and first celebrated in 1986.
- Theme for 2021 World Habitat Day is “Accelerating urban action for a carbon-free world”
- World Space Week (WSW) is observed every year from October 4 to 10, to celebrate science and technology, and their contribution towards the betterment of the human condition.
- WSW was declared by the United Nations General Assembly on December 6, 1999.
- The 2021 theme is “Women in Space”!
- The dates commemorate the launch of the first artificial satellite, Sputnik I, on 4 October 1957
67th National Wildlife Week : 02 to 08 October 2021
- To conserve and protect the fauna or animal life of the country.
- Wildlife Week was conceptualized in 1952 to raise awareness of safeguarding the lives of wildlife through critical action.
- Theme 2021- “Forests and Livelihoods: Sustaining People and Planet”.
Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah flagged off All India Car Rally ‘Sudarshan Bharat Parikrama’ of the National Security Guard (NSG) on October 02, 2021, as a part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’, to celebrate 75th years of India’s Independence.
- The NSG’s car rally was flagged off from the historic Red Fort in Delhi. It will end on October 30, 2021 at the Police Memorial in New Delhi.
- The month long campaign will cover 7,500 kms long journey through 18 cities in 12 states, passing through important and historical places associated with the Freedom Movement and Freedom Fighters of the country.
- 47 NSG commandos embark on Sudarshan Bharat Parikrama in 15 Tata #Dark Harriers
World’s largest national flag, made up of Khadi cloth, has been installed in Leh, Ladakh, on the occasion of 152nd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on October 02, 2021.
- The Khadi national flag was inaugurated by Ladakh Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur.
- The tricolour is 225-feet long and 150-feet wide. It weighs around 1,000 kg.
- The flag has been prepared by the 57 Engineer Regiment of the Indian Army.
PM Modi virtually launched the Jal Jeevan Mission App and Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh, on October 02, 2021, as a part of the flagship Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM), launched in 2019.
- Jal Jeevan Mission App has been launched to improve awareness among stakeholders and for greater transparency and accountability o schemes under the Mission.
- Rashtriya Jal Jeevan Kosh: RJJK is a registered public charitable trust set up by department of drinking water and sanitation, under the ministry of Jal shakti. (Donation eligible for 50 per cent deduction under section 80G of the Income Tax Act.)
- Target Year: safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections by 2 024 to all households in rural India.
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched the second phase of the two flagship missions, namely, Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) and Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) on October 01, 2021, from Dr Ambedkar International Centre in New Delhi.
- The SBM-U 2.0 and AMRUT 2.0 have been designed to realise the aspiration of making all cities ‘garbage free’ and ‘water secure’.
- The outlay of SBM-U 2.0 is around Rs 1.41 lakh crore
- The outlay of AMRUT 2.0 is around Rs 2.87 lakh crore
Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has launched a month-long Clean India
Programme from October 01 to 31, 2021, as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
- The nation-wide cleanliness drive was inaugurated by the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Anurag Thakur, from Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh on October 01, 2021.
- The aim of the programme is to create awareness, mobilize people and ensure their involvement in cleaning waste mainly Single Use Plastic waste throughout the country.
- This cleanliness drive aims to propagate the mantra of “Clean India: Safe India”.
Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) under the Ministry of Rural Development is commemorating the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav
- As a part of the celebration, DAY-NRLM has launched an initiative named “One GP one B C Sakhi” mission, under which 50,000 women SHG members are dedicated to the nation as Business Correspondents (BC) Sakhi in the rural areas for providing basic banking services in the rural areas of the country, for a week.
- These BC Sakhi will provide doorstep services in every Gram Panchayat (GP).
- It is proposed that atleast one B C Sakhi will be deployed in the rural areas by the end of 2023-24.
Government has launched a web portal called “Waste to Wealth” to enhance cooperation for sustainable development through economy and community participation.
- The web portal will bring together technology providers, government stakeholders and urban local bodies to find solutions to India’s waste problems, mainly plastic waste.
- The portal has been launched by Office of the Principal Scientific Adviser and inaugurated by the Principal Scientific Advisor K. Vijay Raghavan on October 02, 2021, on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
Banking and Financial News
Loan and Finance
- World Bank has approved $150 million (around Rs 1,112 crore) loan for funding ‘Chennai City Partnership: Sustainable Urban Services Program’ of Tamil Nadu, with the vision of making Chennai into a world-class city that is more green, livable, and resilient to climate change.
- The project will drive significant improvements in the quality of four key urban services, including water supply and sewerage, mobility, health, and solid waste management.
- Apart form this, the World Bank has also approved $40 million (around Rs 296 crore) loan for a project which aims at improving the quality of health services in Meghalaya and strengthen the state’s capacity to handle health emergencies, including the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved a USD356.67 million loan to the Government of India to support the expansion of the Chennai metro rail system.
List of Loan approved by AIIB (Recently)
$750 million -Help the government strengthen its battle agains Covid-19
$500 million-COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project”
$145 million-Improve irrigation services in West Bengal
$500 Million: Improve the network capacity, service quality and safety of the suburban railway system in Mumbai.
Digital payment services provider Paytm has acquired 100% stake in Mumbai-based digital lending startup CreditMate. However, the transaction details of the deal have not been disclosed.
- The Paytm Group will now be the 100% beneficial owners of the business, while the cofounders of CreditMate will exit the business.
- CreditMate was founded in 2019 by Jonathan Bill, Ashish Doshi, Swati Lad and Aditya Singh as a collection platform that help lenders collect overdue payments from borrowers.
Uttar Pradesh government led by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has named veteran Bollywood actor Kangana Ranaut as the brand ambassador of the ambitious ”One District One Product (ODOP) scheme’‘ of the state.
- The UP government has launched the one district-one product (ODOP) programme with the aim to create product-specific traditional industrial hubs across 75 districts of the state.
- The scheme encourage such indigenous and specialized products and crafts of UP that are not found anywhere else.
Iconic Indian comic book cartoon character, Chacha Chaudhary, whose brain works faster than a computer, has been declared as the official mascot for the centrally sponsored NamamiGange Programme.
- An outlay of Rs. 2.26 crore has been dedicated to the project. The comics will initially be launched in Hindi, English and Bengali languages.
- ‘Namami Gange’ programme is an Integrated Conservation Mission initiated as a flagship programme with a budget outlay of Rs. 20,000 crore in June 2014.
Najla Bouden Romdhane has been appointed as the first ever female Prime Minister of Tunisia
- The 63-year-old has also become the first female prime minister in the whole Arab world.
- Prior to this appointment, Najla served in the education ministry in 2011.
- She is a geologist by profession and professor at the Tunis National School of Engineering.
Ministry of Labour has reconstituted the Expert Group on Fixation of Minimum Wages and National Floor Wages.
- The nine-member new committee will now be headed by the economist and statistician SP Mukherjee (emeritus professor at the University of Kolkata).
- Earlier in June 2021, government had constituted this committee under the Chairmanship of Professor Ajit Mishra (director of the Institute of Economic Growth).
- The new expert group has been constituted for a period of three years.
- Expert group is expected to look into international best practices on wages and evolve a scientific criteria and methodology for fixation of wage in the country.
Government has formed a 7 member group of ministers (GoM) for proposing
a rationalization of tax rates and considering the merger of different tax slabs under GST. This GoM will be headed by the Chief Minister of Karnataka Basavaraj S. Bommai.
The government has formed one more GoM which will look at tapping IT tools to minimize tax evasion and make compliance easier for taxpayers. Ajit Pawar, Maharashtra deputy CM has been made the convenor of this GoM.
Union Ministry of Education has formed a 12-member committee to develop new national curriculum frameworks (NCFs) for school, early childhood, teacher and adult education.
- The NCFs serve as a guideline for syllabus, textbook and teaching practices for schools in India.
- The panel will be headed by K Kasturirangan, former chief of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Chairperson of National Education Policy-2020 (NEP-2020) drafting committee.
- As per the terms of reference of the committee the panel will develop four NCFs, i.e. for school education, early childhood care and education, teacher education and adult education.
Current Affairs 4th Oct 2021 – MCQs
Q. International Financial Services Centres Authority has constituted an Expert Committee to recommend approach towards development of Sustainable Finance Hub at IFSC. Who is the head of this expert committee
a) Dr. K.P. Krishnan
b) Vandana Aggarwal
c) Nilesh Shah
d) Injeti Srinivas
e) Shri C.K. Mishra
Answer: Option E
The expert committee will be chaired by Shri C.K. Mishra, Former Secretary to Government of India, Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change.
The committee consists of total 10 members
Q. GOI kept interest rates on Small Savings Schemes unchanged for Quarter-3 of 2021-22. Consider the statement which is not correct about. Sukanya Samriddhi Account.
- ROI on Sukanya Samriddhi Account is the highest among all Small Savings Schemes that is
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account was launched by government under Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened at Post Office/Commercial Bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened anytime between the birth of a girl child and the time she attains 10 years age
a) Only 1
b) Only 3
c) 1 & 3
d) 2 & 4
e) 1 & 2
Answer: Option A
Q What is the maximum deposit per year in Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
a) Rs 50,000
b) Rs 1.5 Lakh
c) Rs 10,000
d) Rs 50 Lakh
e) Rs 5 Lakh
Answer – Option B
Q When is the maturity year for Sukanya Samriddhi Account?
a) When girl attains age of 18 years
b) 21 years from date of opening of account
c) After marriage of girl
d) A or C whichever is earlier
e) When girl attains age of 21 years
Answer – Option E
Q. Premature withdrawal is allowed in Sukanya Samriddhi Account after the girl attains the age of __ .
a) 10 years
b) 15 years
c) 18 years
d) 21 years
e) Premature withdrawal Not Allowed
Answer – Option C
50% of the balance lying in the account as at the end of previous financial year for the purpose of higher education, marriage after attaining the age of 18 years.
Q. Identify the false statement with respect of Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts:
a) Account shall be mandatorily operated by the girl child after she attains age of 18 years
b) Accounts for more than two girl children are allowed
c) Balance in SSA can be transferred anywhere in India and from or to post offices
d) All are correct
e) Only B
Answer – Option D
Accounts for more than two girl children are allowed in case of more than two girl children born in the first order of birth or in a scenario of one girl child in first order of birth and twins or more than twins in the second order of birth
Q. Which State is the highest contributor to the small saving schemes ?
c) West Bengal
d) Uttar Pradesh
Answer – Option C
West Bengal is the highest contributor to the small saving schemes while Uttar Pradesh is the second top contributor.
That is all from us in this blog on Current Affairs 4th Oct 2021.