Get All the Important Current Affairs of 7th Oct 2021 in this blog. It covers all important sections like Banking Current Affairs, Finance Current Affairs, Sports Current Affairs, Latest Appointments, Awards and more. In this blog, you also get to solve Important Current Affairs MCQs of 7th Oct 2021.
Table of Contents
Daily Current Affairs 7th Oct 2021
World Cotton Day (WCD) is observed every year on October 07 since 2019 to celebrate the international cotton industry and its contribution to communities and the global economy.
- The day was inaugurated by the World Trade Organization in Geneva on October 7, 2019.
- WCD Day was initiated by the Group of Cotton-4 countries namely Benin, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mali to reflect the importance of cotton as a global commodity.
2021 Nobel Prize in Physics on October 05, 2021.
- Half of the award has been given jointly to US-based Syukuro Manabe and Klaus
Hasselmann of Germany “for the physical modelling of Earth’s climate, quantifying variability and reliably predicting global warming”
- The other half of the award has been conferred to Giorgio Parisi from Italy “for the discovery of the interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales.”
- Prize amount: 10 million Swedish kronor.
Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the year 2021 has been awarded jointly to Benjamin List (Germany) and David MacMillan (the USA) “for the development of asymmetric organocatalysis”.
- The duo have been awarded for their work in developing a new way for building molecules known as “asymmetric organocatalysis.”
2021 Yidan Prize: It was founded by Charles Chen Yidan (co-founder of Tencent, founder of the Chen Yidan Charity Foundation) in 2016 to create a better world through education. Yidan Prize Laureate receives a gold medal and a sum of $3.9 million.
- US-based Stanford University’s Professor Eric A. Hanushek and Mumbai-based Dr Rukmini Banerji have been felicitated with the 2021 Yidan Prize, the world’s highest education accolade.
- The award carries prize money of $3.90 million (around Rs 28 crore), for each winner. Dr Rukmini Banerji is the CEO Of the Mumbai-based Pratham Education Foundation.
GOI has approved the setting up of seven new mega textile parks, or PM MITRA (पीएम मित्र) parks across the country in an effort to help further the growth of the textile sector
- The Mega Integrated Textile Region and Apparel Parks (PM MITRA) will be based on the 5F vision of the Hon’ble Prime Minister.
- ‘5F’ Formula consists of Farm to fibre; fibre to factory; factory to fashion; fashion to foreign.
- These parks will be setup at Greenfield and Brownfield sites in different States by a Special Purpose Vehicle which will be owned by State Government and Government of India in a Public Private Partnership (PPP) Mode.
- The total outlay for the project has been set at Rs 4,445 crore for five years.
- Additionally, the cost of setting up each park is estimated at Rs. 1700 crore.
- From this, upto 30 percent of the project cost or Rs, 500 crore in greenfield parks, and upto Rs. 200 crore in brownfield parks will be provided by the Central government as development capital support (DCS).
The famed white onion of Alibag in Maharashtra’s Raigad district was given the
Geographical Indication (GI) tag bringing worldwide recognition to its unique sweet taste, no-tears factor, as well as its medicinal properties.
- The soil of Alibaug taluka has low sulphur content
Judima, a homemade rice wine from Assam and Sojat Mehndi (Henna) from Rajasthan, has been awarded the geographical indication (GI) tag.
- Judima is a local fermented drink made with rice, brewed by the Dimasa community in Assam. It derives its name from words ‘ju’ which means wine and Dima means ‘belonging to the Dimasa’. It is the first traditional brew in all of northeast to bag GI tag.
- Sojat tehsil of the Pali district in Rajasthan has a suitable geological structure, topography and drainage system, climate and soil for naturally cultivating the mehndi leave crop.
Ministry of Textiles has approved the continuation of the Comprehensive Handicrafts Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS) up to March 2026.
- The total outlay of CHCDS will be Rs 160 crore.
- The objective of the scheme is the upliftment and development of handicrafts artisans.
- Under the scheme, Infrastructural support, market access, design and technology up-gradation support will be provided to handicrafts artisans.
- The mega handicraft clusters having more than 10,000 artisans will be selected for overall development under this scheme.
Vice-President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the Mahabahu Brahmaputra River Heritage Centre at Panbazar in Guwahati, Assam recently.
- The new heritage site has been made by renovating and converting a British-era bungalow atop the Barphukanar Tila (Barphukan’s Hillock) in Panbazar, which served as the residence of Deputy Commissioner till 2011.
RBI has granted the National Asset Reconstruction Company (NARCL) the licence to register as an asset reconstruction company (ARC) under Section 3 of the Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest (SARFAESI) Act 2002.
- As per Section 3 of the SARFAESI Act, a company can carry the business of asset reconstruction only after obtaining a certificate of registration from RBI and having the owned fund of not less than Rs 2 crore or such other amount not exceeding 15% of total financial assets acquired or to be acquired by the securitisation company or reconstruction company.
- The NARCL has been incorporated under the Companies Act, and public sector banks will hold 51 per cent in NARCL
PM Modi inaugurates ‘Azadi@75 – New Urban India: Transforming Urban Landscape’ Conference-cum-Expo in Lucknow Indira Gandhi Pratishthan
- PM virtually handed over keys of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U) houses to 75,000 beneficiaries in 75 districts of Uttar Pradesh and interacted with beneficiaries of the scheme of Uttar Pradesh.
- PM inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of 75 urban development projects of the state under Smart Cities Mission and AMRUT.
- He flagged off 75 buses under FAME-II for seven cities including Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi, Prayagraj, Gorakhpur, Jhansi and Ghaziabad.
- PM announced the setting up of Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Chair in Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU), Lucknow.
Assam In News
- GOI has signed a tripartite peace accord with the State government of Assam and five insurgent groups from the Karbi Anglong region in Assam, to end decades of violence in the region. A special development package of Rs 1000 crore will be released by the state and centre government over the next five years for undertaking specific projects for the development of Karbi areas.
- CM Himanta Biswa Sarma laid the foundation stone of the first-ever Bamboo Industrial Park of the Northeast in Dima Hasao district of Assam. Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER Ministry) at an estimated cost at Rs. 50 crores, over an area covering 75 hectares.
- World’s first genetically modified (GM) rubber plant has been planted by Rubber Board on June 22, 2021, at the board’s farm in Sarutari near Guwahati. GM rubber sapling was developed at the Rubber Research Institute of India (RRII), in Puthuppally, Kottayam, Kerala.
- Guardian Ministers’ to oversee the implementation of government policy decisions, administrative reforms, and other welfare schemes in all the 34 districts of the state.
- India and AIIB signs a $304 million pact for improving power transmission network in Assam first skill university of eastern India in Darrang district in Assam. The state-of-the-art skill university would be built with a financial outlay of Rs 1,000 crore.
- Sishu Suraksha app
- Arundhati Gold Scheme.
- Arunodoi Scheme for women empowerment
- Poba Reserve Forest in Assam”s Dhemaji to be upgraded to a wildlife sanctuary
- Paryatan Sanjeevani Scheme’, loan between Rs 1 lakh and Rs 20 lakh, the worst-affected sector by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Kritagyata is an online pension submission and tracking system
- India’s first ever multi-modal logistics park: cost of Rs. 700 crores at Bongaigaon district.
- Kati Bihu festival
- Assam’s Dehing Patkai Wildlife 7th NP of Assam
RBI superseded the Board of Directors of Srei Infrastructure Finance Limited (SIFL) and Srei Equipment Finance Limited (SEFL) under Section 45-IE (1) of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934. These both are NBFCs.
- Reason for superseding: This decision has been taken by RBI owing to governance concerns and defaults by these two NBFCs in meeting their various payment obligations.
- New Administrator: RBI has appointed Shri Rajneesh Sharma as the Administrator (EX GM of BOB)
- Apart from this, RBI has formed a three-member Advisory Committee to assist the Administrator.
The members of the Advisory Committee are as follows:
1. Shri R. Subramaniakumar, Former MD & CEO, Indian Overseas Bank
2. Shri T T Srinivasaraghavan, Former Managing Director, Sundaram Finance Limited
3. Shri Farokh N Subedar, Former Chief Operating Officer and Company Secretary, Tata Sons Limited
Moody’s Investors Service has upgraded India’s sovereign rating outlook to ‘stable’ from ‘negative’, on October 05, 2021, following an improvement in the financial sector and faster-than-expected economic recovery across sectors.
- However, Moody’s had retained India’s sovereign rating at Baa3.
- Moody’s expects India’s GDP for the financial year 2021-22 (FY22) at 9.3%, followed by 7.9% in FY23 (2022-23).
On October 04, 2021, the Parliament of Japan voted for former Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida to become the new Prime Minister of the country.
- The 64-year-old Kishida received 257 votes, from 249 parliament members to be sworn in as the 100th Prime Minister of the country.
- He replaces Yoshihide Suga, who submitted his resignation along with his entire cabinet on October 04, 2021
Crypto exchange CoinDCX roped in Amitabh Bachchan as brand ambassador to spread awareness about cryptocurrencies.
- Through this collaboration, CoinDCX wants to increase awareness around crypto and popularise it as an emerging asset class.
Prime Minister of Ethiopia, Abiy Ahmed has been sworn in for a second five-year term on October 04, 2021.
- Mr Abiy, the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize winner, is serving as prime minister of Ethiopia since 2018.
- He was administered the oath of office by Supreme Court Chief Justice Meaza Ashenafi.
Colonel Mamady Doumbouya has been sworn in as the Interim President of the coastal West African country of Guinea
- Doumbouy, led the military coup on September 05, 2021, to overthrow 83-year-old President Alpha Conde.
- Doumbouya will serve as transitional president until the country returns to civilian rule.
B C Patnaik has taken charge as the managing director (MD) of the Life Insurance Corporation of India.
- He was appointed as Managing Director vide a government notification dated July 5, 2021.
- Prior to taking charge as MD of LIC, Patnaik was the Secretary-General, Council for Insurance Ombudsman, (CIO) Mumbai.
- He joined as a Direct Recruit Officer in 1986
Government is considering appointing Soma Sankara Prasad, the deputy managing director of State Bank of India, as managing director of Kolkata-based UCO Bank.
- The Banks Board Bureau (BBB) has suggested the name of UCO Bank Managing Director Atul Kumar Goel for heading Punjab National Bank as MD.
- The managing director position of PNB will fall vacant after the superannuation of S S Mallikarjuna Rao in January.
Automotive Skills Development Council (ASDC) has appointed automobile industry veteran Vinod Aggarwal as its president.
- Aggarwal, who is currently the managing director and CEO of VE Commercial Vehicles Ltd (VECV), replaces Nikunj Sanghi, who will leave ASDC after serving it for four years.
Executive Council of the Indian Society of Advertisers (ISA) has elected Sunil Kataria, Chief Executive Officer, India and SAARC, Godrej Consumer Products Limited as the Chairman of the ISA
- Sunil has led the Society over the past five years to greater heights garnering support from the fellow Executive Council members, the ISA members and other industry bodies.
Veteran television actor Arvind Trivedi, who is famously known for his iconic role of demon-king Raavan in Ramanand Sagar’s TV serial Ramayan, has passed away suffering from age-related issues. He was 82.
- He had acted in 250 to 300 Gujarati and Hindi films.
- Apart from Ramayan, he also acted in other TV series like ‘Vikram aur Vetal’ and Vishwamitra.
- He was also part of the political field, as an MP from Sabarkatha constituency in Gujarat, and had served the Parliament from 1991-96.
- He served as the acting chairman of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) from 2002 to 2003
Current Affairs 7th Oct 2021 – MCQs
Q. In September 2021, footprints of three different species of dinosaurs have been found from which Indian state?
Answer: Option C
- Footprints of three different species of dinosaurs have been found in the Thar desert of Jaisalmer district at Rajasthan. The footprints were spotted in the deposits of the seashore, which eventually became permanently stone-like figures.
- It is to be noted that Eubrontes is the name of the footprints, identified by their shape, and not of the genus or genera that made them.
- All three species, belonging to the early Jurassic period, were carnivorous.
Q. Who among of the following have been honoured with the 2021 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine?
a) David Julius and Klaus Hasselmann
b) David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian
c) Syukuro Manabe and Klaus Hasselmann
d) Syukuro Manabe and Ardem Patapoutian
e) Giorgio Parisiand Ardem Patapoutian
Answer: Option B
- Two American scientists David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian have jointly won the 2021 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine on October 04, 2021.
- They have been honoured for the discovery of receptors in the skin that sense temperature and touch and could pave the way for new pain-killers.
- The prestigious award comes with a gold medal and 10 million Swedish kronor (over $1.14 million)
Q. Which Edition of the “India Sri Lanka bilateral joint Exercise” called Mitra Shakti will be conducted from October 4 to October 15, 2021 at Combat Training School, Ampara in Sri Lanka.
Answer: Option B
This exercise will be conducted with the aim of promoting close relations between Armies of India and Sri Lanka. It also seeks to enhance inter-operability and share best practices to counter insurgency and terrorism operations.
Q. Which edition of India – Japan Maritime Bilateral Exercise, JIMEX, between the Indian Navy and the Japan Maritime Self-Defence Force, will be held in Arabian Sea from 06 to 08 October 2021.
Answer: Option A
JIMEX series of exercises commenced in January 2012 with special focus on maritime security cooperation. JIMEX-21 aims to develop common understanding of operational procedures and enhance inter-operability through conduct of a multitude of advanced exercises, across the entire spectrum of maritime operations.
Q. Who has been selected for Golden glove as best goalkeeper Durand Cup 2021?
a) Marcus Joseph
b) Edu Bedia
c) J Karlson
d) Naveen Kumar
e) Amit Acharya
Answer: Option D
2021 Season awards winners
Golden glove for best goalkeeper – Naveen Kumar (FC Goa)
Golden boot for top scorer – Marcus Joseph (Mohammedan)
Golden ball for best player – Edu Bedia (Goa)
That is all from us in this blog on Current Affairs 7th Oct 2021.