Jammu and Kashmir Geography : Questions on geography under the topic India and World Geography are commonly covered in various J & K exams. Questions pertaining to the state of Jammu and Kashmir also hold significant weightage in each section. In this blog, we have provided some important information regarding various Jammu and Kashmir Geography Features.
Table of Contents
Click on the link below to download the free Jammu and Kashmir Geography PDF.
How To Download the Free PDF?
- Click on the above-given download link. You will be taken to Oliveboard’s FREE Ebooks Page.
- Register/Login to the Free E-Books Page of Oliveboard (It is 100% free, You just enter your valid email id and a password to be able to download the PDF ).
- After Logging in, you will find the message ‘Click here to download Free E-book’
- Click on the message to download the Free E-book
Jammu and Kashmir Geography PDF | Highlights
Jammu and Kashmir Geographical extent:
- Latitudinal extent: 32°17′ and 37°05′ N
- Longitudinal extent: 72°31′ and 80°20′ E
- Neighbouring states and UTs of India: Himachal Pradesh, Punjab and Ladakh
- Neighbouring countries: Pakistan, Afghanistan, China
Important Geographical Features:
|Range||Location||Highest Point||Important Passes||Characteristics|
|Karakoram Range||From Wakhan Corridor in Afghanistan in the west and extends into Ladakh and Aksai Chin||Mount K2 (8,611m) Second highest mountain range in the world||Karakoram Pass, Khunjerab Pass, Shimshal Pass||Most heavily glaciated region outside the poles. Eg., Siachen Glacier and Biafo Glacier|
|Zanskar Range||Karcha (Suru) River to the upper Karnali River||Kamet Peak (7756 m)||Shipki, Lipu Lekh, and Mana||It separates Ladakh from Kashmir Valley and the Chenab River|
|Ladakh Range||Between the Indus and Shyok river valleys||Average height of the range is 6000 m with no known major peak||Chorbat, Digar La, Khardung La, Chang La and Tsaka La|
|Pir Panjal Range||It lies south of the Indus River in the Gilgit–Baltistan of PoK||Manimahesh Kailash Peak (5,653 m)||Pir Panjal Pass, Haji Pir Pass, Banihal Pass, Rohtang La,||Jawahar Tunnel through the Banihal pass in Pir Panjal mountain connects Banihal with Qazigund|
|Siwalik Range||Between the Ravi and the Jhelum rivers and extend from Tista River in Sikkim||Nanda Devi (7816 m)||Mohan Pass|
- The alluvial plains of the Jammu and Kashmir state are formed by the depositions of Chenab, Tawi, Ravi and their tributaries
- It stretches in the southern parts of Akhnoor, Ranbirsinghpura (R.S. Pura), Samba and Kathua
- They are traversed by numerous hill torrents, locally known as Khad
|River||Originates from||Left Bank Tributaries||Right Bank Tributaries||Dams|
|Indus||Bokhar Chu (glacier) of Mount Kailash||Jhelum, Beas Ravi, Sutlej Chenab, Zanskar||Shyok Gilgit Kabul||Chasma Barrage, Diamer-Bhasha Dam, Guddu barrage|
|Jhelum||Vernag||Ningal, Vishav, Romshi, Doodganga, Rambiara, and Sukhnag||Pohru, Sandrin, Arapal, Sindh, Arapath, Bringi, and Liddar||Mangla dam|
|Ravi||Bara Bangal near Rohtang pass in Himachal Pradesh||Chirchind Nala||Budhil, Tundahan Beljedi, Saho and Siul||Bassi Dam, Chamera (I, II and III) Dam, Malana I Dam|
|Chenab||From by the Chandra and Bhaga rivers which rise in Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh||Tawi , Ravi||Marusudar , Jhelum||Baglihar Dam, Dulhasti Dam, Salal Dam, Pakul (Proposed)|
|Sutlej||Lake Rakshastal in Tibet||Baspa||Spiti, Beas, Chenab||Bhakra Dam, Nangal Dam, Kol Dam, Nathpa Jhakri Dam|
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests, and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
For more eBooks, Click Here
I have been creating exam related content for 3 years now. Having appeared for UPSC, SSC, Railway and Banking Exams myself, I understand and create relevant content, important from exams point of view. I am currently creating content for SSC, Railway, J&K and Law entrance exams. During my free time, I love bingewatching shows or read novels.
- Free Mock Tests, Courses, Videos and Ebooks – DOWNLOAD Oliveboard App
- Attempt Free SBI PO Mock Test now
- Attempt IBPS SO 2022 – Free Mock Test
- Attempt Free SBI Clerk Mains Mock Test now
- Latest Pattern SSC CGL Tier 2 Mock Test – Attempt Now
- Latest Pattern SSC CHSL Tier 1 & Tier 2 Mock Tests – Attempt Now