CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023 – The CAT 2023 exam by IIM is scheduled for November 26, 2023 (Sunday). The CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023 aids candidates in recognizing challenging topics and those needing extra time. It spans arithmetic, algebra, geometry, numbers, percentages, ratios, time-speed-distance, probability, profit-loss, trigonometry, data interpretation. Practice, concept mastery, and time management are key.
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023 – Overview
The Quantitative Aptitude section in CAT 2023 comprises 26 questions of varying types – MCQs and TITA. Worth 78 marks, including 24-26 MCQs and 6-8 TITA questions, it allows 40 minutes (53 minutes 20 seconds for PwD candidates). Difficulty ranges from moderate to high, with +3 for right and -1 for wrong answers.
|Name of the section||Quantitative Aptitude|
|Number of questions||26|
|Type of questions asked||MCQ and TITA (Non-MCQs)|
|Number of MCQs||24-26|
|Number of TITA questions||6-8|
|Sectional time limit for QA||Yes, 40 minutes (53 Minutes 20 Seconds for PwD candidates)|
|Difficulty level||Moderate to high|
|Marking scheme||+3 for every correct answer|
-1 for every wrong/incorrect answer
|Join Group||Telegram Group|
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023
In CAT 2023, the math part tests how well you solve numerical problems accurately. It checks your basic math skills. You have 40 minutes (or 53 minutes 20 seconds if you’re a PwD candidate) for this section. Based on past CAT papers, let’s see what important math topics are in the CAT 2023 syllabus.
|Coordinate Geometry||Mensuration||LCM & HCF|
|Set theory & Function||Probability||Quadratic and Linear Equations|
|Number System||Averages||Complex Numbers|
|Ratio, Proportion & Variation||Speed, Time and Distance||Geometry|
|Compound Interest||Profit, Loss and Discount||Algebra|
|Trigonometry||Permutation and Combination||Progressions and Series|
|Quantitative Aptitude Questions||Quantitative Aptitude Shortcut Techniques for CAT||Number System Shortcut for CAT|
|Shortcuts in Averages||Remainder Concepts||Circles|
|Factorials||Power Cycle||Relatives Speed|
|Arithmetic Progression||Polygons||Harmonic Progression|
|Quadrilaterals||Points, Lines and Planes||Circles|
|Angles||Geometric Progression||Weighted Average|
|Graphical Division Geometry||Similar Triangles||Derangement|
|Applications of Averages||Conditional probability||Application of Power Cycle|
|Constant Product Rule||Laws in Set Theory||Properties of Ratio|
|Triangles||Boats and Streams for CAT||Escalator Questions for CAT|
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023 – Important Topics
|Arithmetic Topics for CAT||Averages, Mean Median Mode, Percentages, Ratio and Proportion, Simple and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss Mixtures and Allegations,Time and Work, Time Speed and Distance|
|Algebra Topics for CAT||Basics Algebraic Formulae, Linear Equations, Problems on ages, Number of integer solutions, Quadratic Equations, Finding out roots, Maxima and Minima, Higher Degree Equations, Descartes Rule of Signs, Inequalities, Logarithm, Functions, Modifications of Graphs, The Smallest Value in a Maximum Function|
|Number System Topics for CAT||Basics of Numbers, Properties of Numbers, Divisibility Rules, Divisibility and Factors, Highest Common Factor and Lowest Common Multiple, Finding Out the Last Digit, Finding Out Last Two Digits, Number of Trailing Zeroes, Finding out Remainders based on, Basic Divisibility Rules, Binomial Theorem, Simplifying the Dividend (Single and/or Multiple Divisors), Fermat’s Theorem, Euler’s Theorem, Pattern Recognition and Cyclicity of Remainders, Wilson’s Theorem, Base Systems, Conversion of Bases, Addition / Subtraction / Multiplication in different bases|
|Geometry Topics for CAT||Lines and Angles, Triangles – Basic Concepts, Area, Angles, Similar Triangles, Polygons, Circles, Solids / Mensuration – 3D Geometry, Coordinate Geometry, Trigonometry|
|Modern Maths Topics for CAT||Sequence and Series, Binomial Theorem, Set Theory, Permutation and Combination, Probability|
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023 – Topics and Expected Number of Questions
We can predict that certain topics will show up again in CAT 2023 based on analyzing previous year’s questions. The test has 26 questions in total: 8 are TITA (where you type the answer) and 18 are MCQs (multiple-choice questions). Look at the table below to see which topics might come and how many questions from each.
|Topics||Number of Expected Questions|
|Geometry & Mensuration||8-6|
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023 – Best Books
Despite the extensive content in the Quant section, candidates should also consult the suggested books below to thoroughly cover the syllabus.
|Books Name||Author/ Publications|
|Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations||Abhijit Guha|
|NCERT Mathematics Books (Class 6 to 10)||NCERT|
|Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT||Sarvesh Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Nishit Sinha|
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Tips and Strategies
CAT aspirants should heed advice from experts and toppers for quantitative aptitude preparation. Strategies encompass grasping basics, progressing gradually, structured study plans, thorough syllabus understanding, mock test integration, performance analysis, adhering to time limits, targeting weak points, and maintaining a positive approach. These insights from accomplished individuals greatly enhance readiness for the CAT quantitative aptitude section. Here’s a detailed breakdown of the steps to prepare for the CAT Quantitative Aptitude section:
- Focus on Basics: Begin with a particular topic and solve a variety of questions to ensure a clear understanding. Start with simpler problems and gradually move towards more complex ones.
- Practice Each Concept: Take one concept at a time and practice it thoroughly. Once you’ve grasped it, move on to the next. This step-by-step approach builds a strong foundation.
- Prepare a Time Table: Create a study schedule that covers the CAT quant syllabus and aligns with the exam pattern. Identify areas you haven’t covered and allocate time for each topic.
- Understand the Syllabus and Pattern: Familiarize yourself with the CAT quant syllabus and exam pattern. Note which topics you haven’t studied and assess the time required for each.
- Take Mock Tests: Solve mock tests and previous year’s question papers to get accustomed to the exam’s question types. This practice recreates the exam environment and prepares you for the actual day.
- Analyze Your Performance: After mock tests, analyze your performance. Identify weak and strong areas. This analysis helps tailor your further preparation and focus on improving weaknesses.
- Practice with Time Limits: The quantitative aptitude section has a 40-minute time limit. During mock tests, adhere to this time constraint. Allocate time to each question but avoid getting stuck on any single question.
- Address Weak Areas: Identify weak areas based on mock test results. Practice additional questions on these topics from recommended books. Overcoming mistakes enhances your proficiency.
- Review and Repeat: Regularly review previously covered topics to maintain a good grasp. Repeated practice reinforces your skills and helps retain the concepts.
- Stay Positive and Consistent: Maintain a positive attitude and stay consistent in your preparation. Believe in your abilities and keep practicing to improve steadily.
By following these step-by-step guidelines, you can effectively prepare for the CAT Quantitative Aptitude section and increase your chances of success in the exam.
- UPSC CAPF Salary 2024, Pay Scale, Salary Structure
- Nagpur Mahanagarpalika 2023 Apply Online Link & Exam Pattern
- 7 December Current Affairs 2023 in English
- Important Days in February 2023, Check National and International Dates
- International Day of Zero Tolerance for FGM 2024 (6th February)
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2023 – Frequently Asked Question
Ans. The CAT Quantitative Aptitude section evaluates one’s capacity to perform numerical calculations within a time frame. It assesses the ability to manipulate numbers, a skill crucial for various competitive exams.
Ans. Many CAT 2023 examinees find Quantitative Aptitude to be the most challenging segment.
Ans. The CAT exam covers fundamental and elementary mathematics concepts.
|CAT 2023 Exam Date||CAT 2023 Application Form|
|CAT 2023 Exam Notification||CAT Cut Off 2023|
|CAT Eligibility Criteria 2023||CAT Admit Card 2023|
Sindhuja is a passionate content writer with a strong background in preparing for various state exams and defence examinations. Drawing on her own experiences as an aspirant, she brings valuable insights and expertise to her writing. With a keen understanding of exam patterns, syllabus, and effective study techniques, Sindhuja creates engaging and informative content to assist fellow aspirants in their preparation journey. Her dedication to accuracy and clarity ensures that candidates find convenience and reliability in her work. As a content writer, she aspires to empower others with the knowledge and guidance needed to excel in their respective exams and achieve their dreams.