Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar
The Government of India has introduced a prestigious set of National Awards in the fields of Science, Technology, and Innovation, known as the “Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar” (RVP). The primary objective of the RVP is to acknowledge and celebrate the significant and inspiring contributions made by scientists, technologists, and innovators, whether individually or in teams, across various domains of science, technology, and innovation.
Recognizing Outstanding Contributions
The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar (RVP) is positioned as one of the highest honors within India’s scientific and technological community. Eligible candidates encompass scientists, technologists, and innovators working within government, private sector organizations, or as independent individuals. They are recognized for their groundbreaking research, innovative discoveries, or contributions to advancements in any field of science, technology, or technology-led innovation. Additionally, individuals of Indian origin residing abroad whose exceptional contributions benefit Indian communities or society are also eligible for these prestigious awards.
Award Categories: Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar
The RVP is divided into four distinct categories:
- Vigyan Ratna (VR) Award: This accolade pays tribute to lifetime achievements and contributions in any area of science and technology.
- Vigyan Shri (VS) Award: Distinguished contributions in any field of science and technology receive well-deserved recognition through this honor.
- Vigyan Yuva-Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar (VY-SSB) Award: Young scientists, up to the age of 45, who have made exceptional contributions in any field of science and technology, are celebrated.
- Vigyan Team (VT) Award: Collaborative teams consisting of three or more scientists, researchers, or innovators who have made outstanding contributions in any field of science and technology, are acknowledged.
The eligibility for these awards extends to scientists, technologists, and innovators working in government or private organizations who have contributed to groundbreaking research, technology-led innovation, or significant discoveries in any scientific field. Furthermore, individuals of Indian origin residing abroad, who have made exceptional contributions benefiting Indian communities or society, are also eligible for these prestigious honors.
Domains of Excellence
The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar will be presented in 13 domains, including Physics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Mathematics & Computer Science, Earth Science, Medicine, Engineering Sciences, Agricultural Science, Environmental Science, Technology & Innovation, Atomic Energy, Space Science and Technology, and Others. The selection process ensures representation from each domain and strives for gender parity.
All nominations for the Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar awards will undergo thorough evaluation by the Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar Committee (RVPC). The committee, led by the Principal Scientific Adviser (PSA) to the Government of India and comprised of Secretaries of Science Departments, members of Science and Engineering Academies, and eminent scientists and technologists from various fields, will meticulously assess each nomination.
The nomination process for these awards commences annually on January 14th and remains open until February 28th, coinciding with National Science Day. The award recipients are officially announced on May 11th, National Technology Day, and the Award Ceremony for all award categories takes place on August 23rd, National Space Day. Each award includes a certificate (Sanad) and a medal.
A Transformative Recognition
The introduction of the Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar represents a transformative step by the Government of India in acknowledging the achievements of the scientific community at the highest level. By ensuring transparency and fairness throughout the selection process, this initiative aims to elevate the work of all scientific innovators and technologists, granting them recognition on par with other national awards.
Conclusion: Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar
The Rashtriya Vigyan Puraskar underscores India’s commitment to celebrating excellence in science, technology, and innovation. Through this platform, the exceptional contributions of scientists, technologists, and innovators are celebrated, fostering a culture of innovation and advancement within India’s scientific landscape.
- World AIDS Day 2023, History, Theme & Significance
- The Life and Legacy of India’s First Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
- AFCAT Syllabus & Exam Pattern 2024, Download PDF
- New Year’s Eve 2023, Its History & Celebration Around the World
- National Good Governance Day 2023, History and Challenges