SBI Clerk Career Growth and Promotion : SBI is one of the country’s largest employers as well as the most popular ones. Every year, millions of students work hard to try and get in the elite banking organization that is also the largest lender in the country. This popularity is however completely justified, because no other banking commercial banking company pays as handsomely as SBI. Every year, SBI primarily recruits for 2 positions including the SBI Clerk and SBI PO; some aspirants manage to join SBI as POs while some others join as Clerks (Junior Associates). Hence, in this context, one common question that an aspirant may have is, “How does an SBI Clerk progress?” or “How does an SBI Clerk become an SBI PO?” or “What are the promotion pathways for an SBI Clerk?” Therefore, to answer the same, we at Oliveboard have brought a post titled, “SBI Clerk: What are the SBI Clerk Promotion Pathways?” It shall be of use for both current SBI Clerks working with SBI as well as aspirants preparing to join SBI in the clerical cadre as Junior Associates.
SBI Clerk: Career Growth and Promotion Opportunities – Important Dates
However, prior to doing that, let’s go through the SBI Clerk 2022 Important Dates:
|Notification release||September 6, 2022|
|The download of Call Letters for Prelims||To be Notified|
|Date of Prelims Examinations||October-November 2022|
|The download of Call Letters for Mains||To be Notified|
|Date of Mains Examinations||December 2022- January 2023|
SBI Clerk : Career Growth and Promotion Opportunities – SBI Clerk In-Cadre Promotions
An SBI Clerk (Junior Associate) can get promoted up to 3 times: once when they have completed 10 years of service, once more when they have completed 20 years of service, and finally, when they have completed 30 years of service.
- An SBI Clerk shall be promoted to Senior Assistant following the completion of 10 years of service.
- When they complete 20 years of service, they shall be promoted to Special Assistant.
- Upon the completion of 30 years of service, they shall be promoted Senior Special Assistant.
Each promotion results in some increments to the allowances provided to them. At SBI, In-cadre promotions are purely on basis of seniority. However, if you are preparing to become an SBI PO, check out this crash course by Oliveboard for a time-efficient study program:
SBI Clerk : Career Growth and Promotion Opportunities – SBI Clerk to Officer Cadre Promotions
Should an SBI Clerk really have the determination to make it to the Officer cadre, then SBI provides them with fair opportunities to do so. There are two main ways through which an SBI Clerk can make it to the Officer cadre:
The Fast Track Promotion Channel is applicable when an SBI Clerk becomes eligible to take the Officer Promotion examination after only 3 years of service. For them to be eligible after only 3 years of service, they must clear the 2 banking examinations (as in, secure passing marks in them):
- JAIIB – Junior Associate of the Indian Institute of Banking, and
- CAIIB – Certified Associated of the Indian Institute of Banking
If they clear only JAIIB, they will be eligible after 4 years of service; if they clear both JAIIB and CAIIB exams, they will be eligible after 3 years of service. Now if they do not clear even JAIIB, they will be eligible to take the normal track promotion channel.
- Normal Track Promotion Channel
Under the normal track promotion channel, the employee needs to serve minimum 6 years under the bank as a Bank Clerk to become eligible for promotion to Bank PO. After serving for 6 years minimum as an SBI Clerk, they become eligible to take the exam for internal promotion exam to be promoted to that of a Trainee Officer (TO). A Trainee Officer (TO) is at par with a Probationary Officer (PO) when it comes to rank or designation. However, TOs must work harder to reach the same level whereas POs get recruited directly at that rank.
SBI Clerk: Career Growth and Promotion Opportunities – Points to Note
- When an SBI Clerk is trying to get promoted to Officer cadre, they need to successfully pass SBI’s internal examination for promotion which includes a written test and an interview. This is applicable for both Fast Track and Normal Track promotion channels.
- SBI Clerks can take the SBI PO examination too if they wish, but they need to obtain SBI’s permission first. If they successfully clear the exam, they will be reinstated anew as Bank POs, but if they fail, they will have to continue as a Bank PO.
- Of the 2 banking examinations, CAIIB can be attempted only after an SBI Clerk (or anyone for that matter) has successfully cleared the JAIIB examination.
- When an SBI Clerk manages to clear the internal SBI promotion examination, they shall be recruited as Trainee Officers (TOs) for a probation period of 2 years during which they will be in the JMGS-I or Junior Management Grade Scale-I rank. Following their completion of the probation period, they will either be promoted to MMGS-II or Middle Management Grade Scale-II rank or sent back to the Clerical cadre if they fail to clear their probation.
We hope this clears your doubts and queries regarding the promotion process of an SBI Clerk to an SBI PO! All the Best for your Future Endeavors! STAY TUNED 😀
Also Read :
SBI Clerk Promotion FAQs 2022
Yes, every SBI Clerk gets promoted after a certain period of time. You can check the blog above to know more.
Yes, after a certain period of time, a SBI Clerk may get promoted to junior manager.
In order to become clerk at State bank of India, you can apply for SBI Clerk examination 2022.
The most comprehensive online preparation portal for MBA, Banking and Government exams. Explore a range of mock tests and study material at www.oliveboard.in