How to Prepare for JAIIB PPB: IIBF will conduct the JAIIB exam in May/June 2023. There are four papers in JAIIB. These are: Indian Economy and Indian Financial System, Principles and Practices of Banking, Accounting and Financial Management for Bankers and Retail Banking and Wealth Management. PPB is the second paper of JAIIB. With the new syllabus and topics introduced, we will provide an updated guide to preparing for PPB.
Table of Contents
How to Prepare for JAIIB PPB
The most important part of the preparation for any subject is knowing the contents of that subject. This means being aware of the exam pattern, units, and specific topics that are asked. This will give you a better idea of where to start and how to proceed.
JAIIB PPB Exam Pattern
First, let’s take a look at the exam pattern
|Subjects||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Duration|
|Principles & Practices of Banking||100||100||2 hours|
JAIIB PPB Modules
Now let’s check out the modules in PPB
Principles & Practices of
|B||Lending Operations of|
|D||Ethics in Banks and Financial Institutions|
Now let’s check out the detailed syllabus for PPB. The topics are given module-wise:
A- General Banking Operations
The topics covered are:
- Banker-Customer Relationship
- AML-KYC Guidelines
- Operational Aspects of KYC
- Opening Accounts of Various Types of Customers
- Operational Aspects of Deposit Accounts
- Operational Aspects of Handling Clearing/Collection/Cash
- Banker’s Special Relationship
- Foreign Exchange Remittance Facilities for Individuals,
- Operational Aspects of NRI Business
- Foreign Currency Accounts for Residents and Other Aspects
- Cash Management Services and Its Importance
- Payment and Collection of Cheques and Other Negotiable Instruments
- Responsibility of Paying Bank
- Responsibility for Collecting Bank
- Ancillary Services
- Financial Inclusion & Financial Literacy
- Customer Service Guidelines
- Duties & Rights of a Banker and Customer Rights
- Grievance Redressal & RBI Integrated Ombudsman Scheme 2021
- The Consumer Protection Act, 2019: Preamble, Extent, and Deflations
- The Right to Information Act, 2005
B- Lending Operations of Banks
- Principles of Lending, Different Types of Borrowers, and Types of Credit Facilities,
- Appraisal and Assessment of Credit Facilities
- Operational Aspects of Loan Accounts
- Types of Collaterals and Their Characteristics
- Different Modes of Charging Securities
- Non-Performing Assets! Stressed Assets
- Important Laws Relating to Recovery Of Dues
- Contracts of Indemnity
- Contracts of Guarantee & Bank Guarantee
- Letters of Credit,
- Deferred Payment Guarantee
- Laws Relating to Bill Finance
- Personal Finance
- Priority Sector Advances
- Agricultural Finance
- Finance to MFIs/Co-Lending Arrangements With NBFCs
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in India
- Government Sponsored Schemes
- Self-Help Groups
C- Banking Technology
- Essentials of Bank Computerisation
- Operational Aspects of CBS Environment
- Alternate Delivery Channels Digital Banking
- Data Communication Network and EFT Systems
- Digital Payment Systems ~ NPCI
- Impact of Technology Adoption and Trends in Banking Technology
- Security Considerations and Mitigation Measures in Banks
- Operational Aspects of Cyber Crimes/Fraud Risk Management in Cyber Tech
- Technology Trends in Banking, e-RUPI, Fintech – RegTech, SupTech, Hashtag Banking etc.
D- Ethics in Banking and Financial Institutions
- Ethics, Business Ethics & Banking: An Integrated Perspective
- Ethics at the Individual Level
- Ethical Dimensions: Employees
- Work Ethics and the Workplace
- Banking Ethics: Changing Dynamics
How to Prepare for JAIIB PPB: Tips and Tricks
This is a subject that all candidates who have a thorough knowledge of banking awareness will find easy. Since banking awareness is a section in the qualifying tests for most bank exams, most candidates will be able to learn this section easily.
The most important topics for this paper are in the first two modules- General Banking Operations and Lending Operations of Banks. The other 3 modules are more general in content and can be covered easily. So Paper-II is quite easy to clear if you revise all the known topics of banking awareness.
1. Identify Key Improvement Areas
If you’ve been preparing for JAIIB for a while but feel that your preparation isn’t moving forward pause. Analyze the syllabus and identify the areas you’re not strong in. Start your preparation again from there. Make sure to make Modules A and B as thorough as possible at this time.
2. Make Notes for Easy Revision
Preparation for JAIIB takes place under time constraints considering your working schedule. Try and make notes of only the most important points. Highlight points that you may forget for revision right before the exam.
3. Prioritise Important Sections
Module A and Module B- General Banking Operations and Lending Operations of Banks are very important. These should be key focus areas. Modules C and D is easier and this will take a shorter time to learn.
4. Revise in Order of Priority
Similarly while revising, make sure to focus on the first two modules. Make these thorough then revise the main topics of the remaining modules. This will help you boost your confidence and your overall performance.
5. Mock Tests
Mock tests will always help you get used to the exam before you even sit for the actual exam. For JAIIB, Oliveboard provides a collection of mock tests that you can attempt throughout your preparation to keep track of your progress. These mock tests also come with AI-powered analysis which means you get a comprehensive idea of your strong and weak areas. This way you can save time by learning those topics that you need to focus on rather than the ones you’re consistently scoring well in.
The main focus of your PPB preparation should be the first two modules. Module A is about the General Banking Operations while Module B is the about the Lending Operations of Banks. Both these modules have topics that are a part of most banking awareness syllabi.
A: General Banking Operations
This module mainly focuses on the general functions of banks. As a bank exam-qualified candidate, these topics may be familiar to you. If not you can refer to the recommended study material for the specific topics.
The following topics are of priority for Module A so make sure to make these thorough:
Banker-Customer Relationship, AML-KYC Norms, and Opening account for customers: These are very practical and important topics that should be covered and studied thoroughly. KYC is an important aspect of helping customers open their bank accounts so knowing all about it is important.
Operational Aspects, Foreign currency and business, Rights of Customer:
These cover the different procedures concerning different types of accounts, foreign investment and business, and rights of customers. It includes responsibilities of banks, aspects of negotiable instruments, and aspects of grivience redressal. These are very important to be thorough in.
B: Lending Operations of Banks
One of the basic functions of banks is their ability to lend money to customers. Being such a fundamental aspect of banking as a whole, this module also requires a lot focus. The following are the topics that are a priority for Module B so make sure these are thorough:
Principles of lending, operational aspects, assessment of credit facilities:
What are the different aspects to consider when a bank lends anyone money? What types of transactions happen in lending and borrowing? How do loan accounts function? These are the different topics covered in these headings. These are the fundamental concepts when it comes to borrowing-lending and loan operations of banks.
Non-performing assets, recovery of dues, letters of credit, MSMEs in India, SHGs:
How do banks recover loans when the borrower is unable to repay them? What are the different categories of assets according to the profit they bring to the bank? What is the scenario of different businesses in India and how does the government and economy help these grow? Such are the topics in the latter part of Module B of PPB. These are important concepts to cover as situational questions can be asked from these.
C: Banking Technology
This module mostly covers the various ways in which technology has been incorporated into banking. This mainly includes the computerization of banking, digitalization of payment methods, and other ways in which tech has made banking easier. It also covers the various security concerns and considerations with regard to technology in banking.
E: Ethics in Banks and Financial Institutions
Ethics is not a subject but a life skill. In banking, ethics is a necessary life skill to ensure quality service to customers. It is awareness of ethics and moral rules that helps prevent illegal activities and enables reform. This module covers most broad rules of ethics. These are with respect to the various banking activities themselves, or even to the workplace.
How to Prepare for JAIIB PPB: Study Material
|Principles And Practices Of Banking||Principles And Practices Of Banking | Study Notes For JAIIB (oliveboard.in)|
|Reserve Bank of India||Reserve Bank of India: Organisation & Functions – Oliveboard|
|Types Of Shares And Their Issue||Types Of Shares And Their Issue- Types, Classification, Bonus Shares (oliveboard.in)|
|Understanding The Balance Sheet And Its Format||Understanding The Balance Sheets And It’s Format (oliveboard.in)|
|Functions of Bank||Functions of Bank – Short Notes for JAIIB Exam | Oliveboard|
Subscribe to our JAIIB-CAIIB channel for exclusive JAIIB PPB Preparation content:
How to Prepare for JAIIB PPB: Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, but aspirants need a robust preparation strategy to back it up.
The online application process for JAIIB will start in April 2023.
The dates for the JAIIB 2023 May/June cycle will be announced by IIBF.
The revised JAIIB syllabus will be implemented from the May/June cycle in 2023.
- IBPS PO Prelims Exam Analysis 2023, 1st October, All Shifts
- India Set to Host the 46th PATA Travel Mart 2023
- International Day of Older Persons 2023, Date, Theme, and Impact
- NOC Full Form, All You Need to Know About NOC
- CS Full Form, All You Need to Know About CS
- IBPS PO Prelims Exam Analysis 2023, 30th September, All Shifts
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests, and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
Dikshant (DJ) is an engineer turned banker. He has cleared many competitive exams before his current placement. Being an officer in the bank, DJ is super busy but makes sure that he always finds time for writing informative & exam-oriented content to help students in cracking competitive exams such as SBI, IBPS, SSC, JAIIB/ CAIIB and many more.