Two of the most prestigious government organizations in India are the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) and the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). While SSC CPO exams are conducted to appoint worthy candidates to the post of Sub-Inspector and Assistant Sub-Inspector, UPSC exams are held to recruit candidates for the post of Assistant Commandants in CAPF. In this blog we will compare SSC CPO vs UPSC CAPF.
Those aspiring to sit for the entrance exam should have an in-depth knowledge of both the positions under CAPF (Central Armed Police Force); otherwise, you may not be able to determine which one to go for. Here is a look at the job profile, emolument and career prospects of SSC CPO vs UPSC CAPF.
SSC CPO vs UPSC CAPF – SSC CPO Job Profile
CAPF is responsible for ensuring national security. The force takes on the toughest situations and is often pressed into various security operations. During the state elections, CAPF plays an active role to ensure that the votes are cast in an orderly manner.
Central Armed Police Force is governed by the Home Ministry, and as a Sub-Inspector, you will be working under these departments-
- BSF (Border Security Force)- Responsible for protecting the border between India-China and India-Bangladesh
- CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force)- Responsible for managing and controlling Naxalites and riots
- ITBP (Indo-Tibetan Border Police)- Responsible for providing security to the Indo-China border and preventing cross-border crimes such as illegal immigration, smuggling etc.
- SSB (Sashastra Seema Bal)- Responsible for protecting the border between India-Bhutan and India-Nepal
- CISF (Central Industrial Security Force)- Responsible for providing security to the industrial units and government infrastructure projects
CAPF postings take place all over India so be prepared to move out of the state/city if you are looking to join CAPF SI.
SSC CPO vs UPSC CAPF – CPO Salary Structure
Sub-Inspector in Central Armed Police Force is a Level- 6 Group- B (Non-gazetted) post and the detailed salary structure is given as follows-
In-hand salary= Rs 35400- Rs 112400
Grade pay= Rs 4200
SSC CPO vs UPSC CAPF – SSC CPO Career Growth
The opportunity for career growth looks promising for CAPF SI. The first promotion takes about 7-8 years and gradually, you rise up to a higher rank based on your performance and experience.
Sub-Inspector -> Inspector -> Director General -> Special Director General -> Additional Director General -> Inspector General -> Deputy Inspector General -> Commandant -> Deputy Commandant -> Assistant Commandant
SSC CPO vs UPSC CAPF – UPSC CAPF Job Profile
The position of Assistant Commandant in CAPF is equivalent to that of Assistant Commissioner of Police/ Deputy Superintendent of Police. It is a Group-A (Gazetted Officer) rank.
The job of an Assistant Commandant involves an array of duties. They are assigned with the responsibility of guarding the borders but the duties differ depending on the type of paramilitary force you are working for. The main responsibilities include-
- Performing managerial functions besides managing the troops on the field
- Serving various defence organizations such as RAW, SPG, NSG, IB, CBI, and the Indian Army on deputation
As a CAPF AC, you need to bear extra responsibility and motivate your subordinates to be on their heels round-the-clock, all through the year.
SSC CPO vs UPSC CAPF – CAPF Salary Structure
The salary structure of a CAPF AC looks like this-
Basic pay= Rs 15600
Grade pay= Rs 5400
DA or Dearness Allowance= Rs 26250
In-hand salary= Rs 44135
Total= Rs 51480
Additionally, Assistant Commandants are eligible to receive various government allowances- DA, Travel Allowance, City Compensatory Allowance, Medical Allowance, Subsidized Housing etc.
SSC CPO vs UPSC CAPF – CAPF Career Growth
The prospects of career growth for an Assistant Commandant in CAPF depend on which force you are being appointed to. Ideally, a CAPF AC is promoted to the rank of-
- Deputy Commandant – after completing 6 years of service
- Second-in-Command – after completing 11 years of service
- Commandant – after completing 15 years of service
As you can see, quite distinctively, the position of Assistant Commandant is a high-rank position while that of a Sub-Inspector is an entry-level position. If you are selected for the post of an AC, you will be able to start your career on a high note; it will take time to achieve a higher rank if you join as an SI. Both the exams are quite tough to crack and require diligent practice and preparation to qualify. However, with proper competitive exam preparation, you are sure to achieve your target.
- यहाँ पर नि: शुल्क उत्तर प्रदेश पुलिस एसआई मॉक टेस्ट के लिए रजिस्टर करें
- Join SBI Clerk Selection Batch: Live Classes, Practice Sessions & Mock Tests
- Mission SSC CGL 2020-21 Online Course + Test Series: Join Now
- Join SSC CHSL 2021 Crash Course for Complete Exam Practice
- JK Bank Mains – Crash Course + Mock Tests – Join Now
- ECGC PO 2021 – Kickstart your preparation with a Free Mock Test