Table of Contents
- CDS Salary
- CDS Salary – Overview
- CDS Salary – Salary Payscale
- CDS Salary – Training Period Stipend
- CDS Salary – Perks and Allowances
- CDS Salary – Travel allowance
- CDS Salary – Additional Benefits
- CDS Salary – Job Promotion and Career Growth
- CDS Salary – AFA
- CDS Salary – OTA
- CDS Salary – Frequently Asked Questions
CDS Salary – The salary for a CDS (Chief of Defence Staff) in 2023 varies depending on several factors such as experience, qualifications, and the country of employment. As the highest-ranking military officer responsible for overseeing and coordinating the armed forces, the CDS holds a crucial role in strategic decision-making and defense operations.
Besides a competitive salary, the job profile of a CDS involves significant responsibilities, including formulating military strategies, advising government officials, and maintaining effective communication between branches of the armed forces. Additionally, CDS positions often come with various allowances and benefits, such as housing, medical coverage, and pension schemes, to ensure a comprehensive package for those in this esteemed position.
CDS Salary – Overview
In 2023, the salary of CDS officers is determined by their rank, with higher ranks corresponding to higher salaries. The salary structure includes allowances and pay based on the officer’s place of posting. CDS officers enjoy an appealing compensation package that encompasses various benefits such as housing, health insurance, and travel reimbursements. Upon retirement, they receive pensions and other retirement benefits. The competitive salary and comprehensive benefits make a career as a CDS officer highly attractive due to the officer’s esteemed position and significant responsibilities.
|Name of the exam||CDS exam|
|Commonly known as||CDS examination|
|Conducting authority||Union Public Service Commission|
|Frequency of exam||Twice a year|
|CDS 2023 basic salary||Rs. 56,100 – Rs. 1,77,500 per month|
|CDS salary composition||Basic pay + grade Pay + allowance + other benefits|
|Mode of exam||Offline|
|Stages of exam||Written Exam SSB Interview (5 days)|
CDS Salary – Salary Payscale
During their training at the academies, gentlemen and ladies cadets receive a monthly stipend of Rs 56,100. It’s important to note that this period is not considered as commissioned service. Once successfully commissioned, CDS officers receive a salary in the level 10 pay matrix, along with arrears based on their pay matrix from the training period.
The table below provides information on CDS salary/grade pay, approximate in-hand salary for different posts, and the corresponding pay matrix level as per the latest 7th Pay Commission. Officers from the rank of Lieutenant to Brigadier receive a fixed amount of Rs 15,500 per month as Military Service Pay (MSP).
Please bear in mind that the given data can vary depending on factors like posting location, experience, and other considerations. The figures mentioned correspond to army ranks, but they remain equivalent for ranks in the air force and navy.
|Sr. No.||Ranks||Pay Scale||In-hand Salary (Approximate)||Pay Matrix Level|
|1||Lieutenant||Rs. 56,100 – 1,77,500/-||Rs. 68,000/-||Level 10|
|2||Captain||Rs. 61,300 – 1,93,900||Rs. 75,000/-||Level 10 B|
|3||Major||Rs. 69,400 – 2,07,200||Rs. 1,00,000/-||Level 11|
|4||Lieutenant Colonel||Rs. 1,21,200 – 2,12,400||Rs. 1,12,000/-||Level 12 A|
|5||Colonel||Rs. 1,30,600 – 2,15,900||Rs. 1,30,000/-||Level 13|
|6||Brigadier||Rs. 1,39,600 – 2,17,600||Rs. 2,00,000/-||Level 13 A|
|7||Major General||Rs. 1,44,200 – 2,18,200||Rs. 2,50,000 -3,50,000/-||Level 14|
|8||Lieutenant General||Rs. 1,82,200 – 2,24,100||–||Level 15|
|9||HAG + Scale||Rs. 2,05,400 – 2,24,400||–||Level 16|
|10||VCOAS/ Army Cdr/ Lieutenant General (NFSG)||Rs. 2,25,000 (fixed)||–||Level 17|
|11||COAS||Rs. 2,50,000 (fixed)||–||Level 18|
CDS Salary – Training Period Stipend
- The CDS starting salary refers to the stipend received by CDS Cadets during their training period.
- For Level 10, the CDS starting salary is Rs 56,100, which is the same as the stipend provided to cadets during training.
- The duration of the CDS training period varies depending on the academy: 18 months for the Indian Military Academy/Indian Navy Academy/Air Force Academy and 49 weeks for the Officers’ Training Academy.
- Army Officers and their equivalent counterparts in the Navy and Air Force receive a fixed CDS starting salary/stipend of Rs 56,100 per month.
- The purpose of the CDS starting salary is to cover the cadets’ expenses during training and is not their final salary as CDS officers.
- After completing their training, CDS officers receive various benefits, allowances, and a salary based on their rank and position.
- It’s worth noting that CDS officers enjoy an attractive salary package, and the starting salary is just the beginning of their successful career in the Indian Defence Services.
CDS Salary – Perks and Allowances
- Defence force personnel are eligible for various allowances and benefits. Here are some of the allowances to consider:
- Qualification Grant: The Higher Qualification Incentive (HQI) is yet to be issued by the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
- Flying Allowance: Army Aviators (Pilots) in the Army Aviation Corps, from Lieutenant rank and above in level 10, receive Rs. 25,000 per month.
- Dearness Allowance: Applies to defence personnel as it does to civilian personnel, with rates subject to change.
- Kit Maintenance Allowance: Combined with the proposed dress, the allowance is Rs. 20,000 per year.
- Field Area Allowance: Officers posted to Field Areas receive Field Area Allowances based on their rank and posting location. For Lieutenant rank and above in level 10 and above:
- Highly Active Field Area Allowance: Rs. 16,900 per month.
- Field Area Allowance: Rs. 10,500 per month.
- Modified Field Area Allowance: Rs. 6,300 per month.
- High Altitude Allowance: Varies for officers in Level 10 and above based on the following categories:
- CAT I: Rs. 3,400 per month.
- CAT II: Rs. 5,300 per month.
- CAT III: Rs. 25,000 per month.
- Siachen Allowance: Rs. 42,500 per month for candidates posted to Siachen.
- Uniform Allowance: Rs. 20,000 per year for the proposed dress allowance.
- Transport Allowance: Varies based on the officer’s city and pay level.
- Children Education Allowance: Provided for the two eldest children from Nursery up to Class 12th, amounting to Rs. 2,250 per month.
- House Rent Allowance: Officers not provided with government accommodation receive 10-30% of Basic Pay Pay Band + Grade Pay + MSP.
- Special Forces Allowance: Officers posted in Special Forces receive Rs. 1,200 per month.
- Parachute Pay: Officers posted in Active Parachute Battalions/Regiments receive Rs. 9,000 per month.
- Free Ration: Officers serving in field areas and peace are entitled to free ration.
- Note: Some allowances may not be applicable and are subject to factors such as posting location and rank.
CDS Salary – Travel allowance
- When it comes to travel allowance in CDS Salary, candidates should take note of the following instructions:
- Higher TPTA Cities (UA) include Patna, Lucknow, Kolkata, Delhi, Kanpur, Hyderabad, Ahmadabad, Surat, Kochi, Bengaluru, Kozhikode, Indore, Nagpur, Pune, Greater Mumbai, Jaipur, Coimbatore, Ghaziabad, and Chennai.
- The travel allowance is applicable for calendar months fully covered by leave.
- TPTA allowance is granted to CDS service personnel who have been provided with government transport facilities.
- Officers in CDS with Pay Level 14 and above, who have the entitlement to use an official car, can choose between availing the official car facility or receiving TPTA of Rs 15,750/+DA thereon.
CDS Salary – Additional Benefits
|Type of Benefit||Explanation|
|Leave and Leave Travel Concession||Officers in the Navy/ Army/ Air Force can get an annual leave of 60 days per year and a casual leave of 20 days per year. Officers of CDS can encash their Annual Leave up to 10 days in addition to the Leave Travel Concession till 60 days in a career span to cover incidental travel expenses.|
|Other Privileges||Officers and their family members get other benefits like free medical aid, group insurance scheme, accommodation on concessional rent, canteen facilities, group housing scheme, family assistance scheme, etc.|
CDS Salary – Job Promotion and Career Growth
To give an better understanding about promotion and career growth. We have curated an table below.
CDS Salary – IMA and INA
|Lieutenant||After completing training|
|Captain||2 years of commissioned service|
|Major||6 years of commissioned service|
|Lieutenant Colonel||13 years of commissioned service|
|Colonel (TS)||26 years of commissioned service|
|Colonel||15 years of commissioned service|
|Brigadier||23 years of commissioned service|
|Major General||25 years of commissioned service|
|Lieutenant General||28 years of commissioned service|
CDS Salary – AFA
|CDS Rank – AFA||Promotion by Time scale||Basic Pay|
|Flying Officer||On Commission||Rs. 56,100/-|
|Flight Lieutenant||2 Years of commissioned service||Rs. 61,200/-|
|Squadron Leader||6 years of commissioned service||Rs. 69,400/-|
|Wing Commander||13 years of commissioned service||Rs. 1,16,700/-|
|Group Captain||26 years of commissioned service||Rs. 1,25,700/-|
|Air Commodore||–||Rs. 1,34,400/-|
|Air Vice Marshal||–||Rs. 1,44,200/-|
|Air Chief Marshal HAG Scale||–||Rs. 1,82,200/-|
|Air Chief Marshal Apex Scale||–||Rs. 2,05,400/-|
|Air Chief Marshal||–||Rs. 2,50,000/-|
CDS Salary – OTA
|CDS Rank – OTA||Promotion by Time scale|
|Captain||On completion of 2 years of commissioned service|
|Major||On completion of 6 years of commissioned service.|
|Lieutenant Colonel||On completion of 13 years of commissioned service.|
We hope this article gave you clear view and understanding on the job profile, allowances and benefits that comes with UPSC CDS position. For more information like this visit oliveboard’s website.
- SSC CGL Selection Process 2023, Check Step by Step
- SSC CGL Eligibility Criteria 2023, Check Age Limit, Education Qualifications
- SSC CGL Admit Card 2023 Tier 2, Direct Link to Download
- SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Date 2023 Out, Check Now
- SSC CGL Syllabus & Exam Pattern 2023 for Tier 1, 2 – Download PDF
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests, and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
CDS Salary – Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. The time period of training for IMA, NA and AFA is 18 months.
Ans. The stipend an officer get during training is INR 56,100.
|DFCCIL Salary and Job Profile||CDS 2 2023 Notification|
|CDS Syllabus 2023||CDS Eligibility Criteria|
|CTET Result 2023||CTET Selection Process 2023|
Sindhuja is a passionate content writer with a strong background in preparing for various state exams and defence examinations. Drawing on her own experiences as an aspirant, she brings valuable insights and expertise to her writing. With a keen understanding of exam patterns, syllabus, and effective study techniques, Sindhuja creates engaging and informative content to assist fellow aspirants in their preparation journey. Her dedication to accuracy and clarity ensures that candidates find convenience and reliability in her work. As a content writer, she aspires to empower others with the knowledge and guidance needed to excel in their respective exams and achieve their dreams.