The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) and Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) are two different Central Government bodies that perform different duties. The SSC recruits eligible candidates for Central Government posts in different Ministries/Departments/Institutes. ESIC is a central government body that manages the insurance of laborers and employees to ensure their well-being in different industries.
The SSC has released the notification on 23-12-2021 to recruit candidates for various Central Government posts. One of them is an assistant appointed in other Departments/ Ministries/Organisations in four stages. The ESIC has released the notification on 27-12-2021 to recruit candidates for the post of Upper Division Clerk (UDC) in different states by conducting exams in three stages. Both the bodies have invited applications from the eligible candidates with the time duration prescribed in the notification. Let’s take an overview of ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant.
Table of Contents
- ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Overview
- ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Eligibility
- ESIC UDC v/s SSC CGL Assistant: Salary
- ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Vacancy
- ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Selection Process and Examination Pattern
- ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Job Profile
- ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Application Process
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Overview
|Particulars||ESIC UDC||SSC CGL Assistant|
|Name of the post||Upper Division Clerk||Assistant|
|Name of the exam conducting body||Employees State Insurance Corporation||Staff Selection Commission|
|Number of Vacancies||1769||230|
|Online application for the post||23-12-2021 to 23-01-2022||15-01-2022 to 15-02-2022|
|Status of the Job||Central Government Job||Central Government Job|
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Eligibility
1. Age Limit:
-SSC CGL Assistant in Group “B” post in the central Government. The age limit range prescribed for this job lies between 18 and 30 years. The candidates should have been born not earlier than 02-01-1992 and not later than 01-01-2004.
-The age limit range for the ESIC UDC job lies in the range of 18 to 27 years as prescribed on the last date of the application, i.e., 15-02-2022.
2. Nationality: This condition is the same for both the post:
The candidates should be either be
- citizen of India, or
- the subject of Nepal or Bhutan or Tibetan Refugee who came to India before the 1st January 1962 for permanently settling in India,
- a person of Indian origin who had migrated from Burma, East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, Sri Lanka, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Zaire, Ethiopia, and Vietnam for permanently settling in India.
3. Educational Qualification:
For ESIC UDC, the candidates should possess a degree from a recognised University or its equivalent. They should also have the working knowledge of computers, including office suites and databases.
For the Assistant post, the candidates should possess Bachelor’s degree from a recognised University by law or equivalent education.
ESIC UDC v/s SSC CGL Assistant: Salary
The salary of UDC is paid at Pay Level-4 (Rs. 25500-81100) as per the 7th Central Pay Commission.
|Particulars||Amount in Rupees|
|Pay Band||Pay Level-4, i.e., 2800 of the 7th Pay Commission|
|Pay Scale||25,500 – 81100/-|
|Basic Salary||Rs. 25500|
The salary of an Assistant appointed under SSC CGL ranges between Rs 41,003 to 46,183 with a Grade Pay Rs.4600. The Government will pay the salary to the Assistant at Level 6 (35400-112400).
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Vacancy
ESIC UDC: For the UDC post, the ESIC has released the vacancies for different states in different notifications:
|Name of the State||Number of Vacancies|
|Jammu and Kashmir||08|
|West Bengal and Sikkim||113|
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
SSC CGL Assistant:
The vacancies for Assistant post is released in different departments and ministries:
|Post Code||Name of Department||UR||SC||ST||OBC||EWS||Total|
|B20||Ministry of Mines||11||3||0||2||2||18|
|B21||Ministry of Corporate Affairs||2||0||0||0||0||2|
|B14||Bureau of Police Research & Development||1||0||0||0||0||1|
|B15||Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry||2||0||0||0||0||2|
|B16||Coast Guard Headquarters||2||1||1||1||0||5|
|B17||Narcotics Control Bureau||0||0||0||0||2||2|
|B06||Ministry of External Affairs||38||13||6||24||8||89|
|B07||AFHQ (Ministry of Defence)||36||15||9||20||8||88|
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Selection Process and Examination Pattern
ESIC UDC Selection Process
The selection of the candidates is conducted in three phases as discussed below:
The first phase is Preliminary examination, an objective type MCQ-based question paper. The exam is qualifying in nature
|Sr. No.||Name of the Tests (Objective Tests)||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Language|
|1.||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||Hindi and English|
|2.||General Awareness||25||50||Hindi and English|
|3.||Quantitative Aptitude||25||50||Hindi and English|
The marks obtained in the Preliminary examination are not considered for the decision of the Merit list. There is a negative marking of one-fourth of the marks assigned to the question whose wrong answer has been provided by the candidate. The selection ratio is 1:10 (10 times the number of vacancies in each category). The duration of the examination is 1 hour.
The second phase is the Mains examination, an MCQ-based objective type exam.
|Sr. No.||Name of the Test (Objective Tests)||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Language|
|1.||General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50||Hindi and English|
|2.||General Awareness||50||50||Hindi and English|
|3.||Quantitative Aptitude||50||50||Hindi and English|
This phase also has a negative mark of 0.25 marks or one-fourth for every wrong answer. The duration of the examination is 2 hours.
The third phase is Computer Skill Test:
It is qualifying in nature that comprises three parts. The marks obtained in the computer skill test will not be recognised for merit ranking
|Sr. No.||Description of Test||Marks|
|1.||Preparation of 02 PowerPoints Slides||10|
|2.||Typing matter on MS Word with formatting||20|
|3.||Preparation of Table on MS Excel with use of formulae||20|
The qualifying marks for both phases are given below for different categories:
|Sr. NO.||Specified Categories||Percentage of Qualifying marks for the given category for both phases (Phase-I and Phase-II)|
|2.||OBC and EWS||40%|
|3.||SC, ST, and Ex-Serviceman||35%|
SSC CGL Assistant Selection Process
Tier-I and Tier-II are Computer Based Examination with question papers consisting of Objective-based Multiple Choice Questions. The question paper is set in both the languages, i.e., Hindi and English, except for English comprehension in Tier-I and Paper-II: English Language and Comprehension in Tier-II.
|Tier-I||Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum marks|
|A. General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
|B. General Awareness||25||50|
|C. Quantitative Aptitude||25||50|
|D. English Comprehension||25||50|
|Tier-II||Paper-I: Quantitative Abilities||100||200|
|Paper-II: English Language and Comprehensive||200||200|
The duration for the Tier-I exam will be 1 hour, and for the Tier-II exams, it will be 2 hours. There will be a negative marking of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer. While in Tier-II exams, there will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer in English Language and Comprehension. For the remaining papers, the negative marking will continue to be 0.50 mark for each wrong answer. The Tier-II papers are compulsory.
The Tier-III examination will be in form Descriptive format conducted in both the languages, i.e., Hindi and English.
|Tier||Mode of Examination||Examination Scheme||Maximum Marks|
|III||Pen and Paper Mode||Descriptive Paper in English or Hindi||100|
The Tier-IV is a Skill Test in which a Computer Proficiency Test will be conducted.
The Commission will conduct the Computer Proficiency Test (CPT) for selected candidates who will be posted in the following Departments of the Central Government:
- Assistant in Serious Fraud Investigations Office (SFIO) under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs
- Assistant (GSI) in the Ministry of Mines
- Assistant in National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT).
The Commission will conduct the CPT in three modules
- Word Processing
- Spread Sheet
- Generation of Slides
The duration of each module will be provided for 15 minutes, and there will not be any break between the modules.
Format of conducting Skill Test
- In Module-I, the DEST will be conducted in a passage of about 2000 (two thousand) key depressions.
- In Module-III, the candidates will be required to prepare the spreadsheet as per the exercise given in the test.
- In Module-III, with the help of PowerPoint, the candidates will have to prepare the PowerPoint presentation as per the predefined exercise.
- The Commission will decide the schedule. Since CPT is qualifying in nature, all three modules must be cleared by the candidates. There is No exemption from appearing for CPT for any category of candidates.
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Job Profile
Now let’s understand the job profile of these posts, in brief, to get an overview of duties to be performed on this post.
If the candidates are posted in Regional Office or Headquarters or Sub-Region Office:
- They will have to perform office clerical work related to accounting of various aspects.
- Drafting of Notices and Letters to be sent to different departments and organisations in case of non-compliance with the Act.
- Maintenance of File to enhance their accessibility
- Processing of Data online to make the data available for access for Organisations and employees.
If the candidates are posted in any of the Branch Office on the Non-Cashier post:
- Maintaining of Registers
- Drafting of Letters
- Preparation of Monthly, Quarterly, and Yearly Reports
- Preparation and uploading of various certificates
- Preparing Online Payment Dockets.
If the candidates are posted in Branch Office (Cashier):
- Clerical work related to Banks
- Maintenance of Cashbook
- Issuance of cheques for making payments
SSC CGL Assistant:
- Assistants need to perform important clerical work in different ministries and departments.
- They have to maintain records about different investigations undertaken in SFIO, court cases, and different processes.
- Regular upgradation of data in the computer system is their main function which enables the respective department to keep track of different aspects.
- Assistant is also required to maintain the reports, PowerPoint presentations, and statements for their seniors.
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant: Application Process
- Candidates should visit the ESIC website and select the option “Apply Online for Recruitment to the Post of UDC in ESIC”. Here you will be directed to a new screen.
- For making the application, select the tab “Click here for registration” and provide your credentials such as Name, Contact details, and E-mail ID. This step will generate the Provisional Registration Number and Password, which will be communicated to the candidates through an E-mail and SMS.
- They can recheck their provided details by clicking on the “SAVE and NEXT” tab. After verification, by clicking on the “Validate your details” and “Save and Next” Button, the candidates should upload their scanned photo and signature image.
- Once all the details are submitted, the candidates must click on the “Complete Registration Button”.
- Make the payment and click on the “Submit” button.
SSC CGL Assistant
- The candidates are required to submit the online application on its website.
- Click on the “Apply” link for making an application present on the “Combined Graduate Level Examination 2021” section accessed under the “Latest Notification” tab.
- One-time registration will be provided that will fill the information S. No-I to 14.
- Fill in the relevant information such as selection of exam centres, educational qualification, category, and so on.
- Upload the scanned image Signature and photo (Photo should not be more than three months old)
- Make the payment of the application fee.
- Once the application is accepted provisionally, the candidates should take the printout of the application form.
The window to make an application for both the posts, i.e., UDC in ESIC and Assistant post, is open. After making a reasonable analysis of their benefits, salary package, educational qualification, and various other aspects, the candidates should approach the examination. Candidates should carefully go through the official notification to understand the details that will help them further get the distinction between ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL Assistant. They should also stay in touch with the respective website to stay updated regarding changing circumstances.
The application fee for ESIC UDC is Rs. 250 for SC/ST/PWD/Departmental Candidates, Women candidates, ESM. However, these fees will be refunded once the candidate appears for Phase-I written examination after deducting Bank charges. For other categories, the ESIC UDC application fee is Rs. 500/-
For SSC CGL Assistant, the candidates have to make a payment of Rs. 100/- The women candidates, SC, ST, ESM (eligible for reservation), and PwD are exempted from payment of fees.
There is no descriptive examination for UDC posts of ESIC as compared to SSC CGL Assistant.
Aadhar Card, PAN Card, Voter ID card, Driving License, Passport, Government School/ College ID Card, Employer ID, or any ID proof issued by Central/ State Government bearing photo will be considered as valid ID proof.
The Tier-I exams are tentative to be held in April 2022 for the post of SSC CGL Assistant.
- SSC CGL Previous Year’s Cut Off Scores Tier 1 & 2 Exam
- SSC CGL Tier 2 English Memory Based Questions – Check Now
- SSC CGL 2020 Tier 2 Result Out | Check Cut Off
- SSC CGL 2022 General Awareness Memory Based Questions
- SSC CGL Divisional Accountant – Job Profile, Salary & Promotion