The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) recruits eligible candidates for different posts in the Central Government by conducting the Combined Graduate Level examination. The SSC has released notification for the recruitment of candidates to various posts such as Assistant, Assistant Section Officer, Sub-Inspector, and many more. One of them is Senior Secretariat Assistant in the Ministry or Departments. The Commission has released the notification on 23-12-2021 and invited online applications for all these posts, and no other mode is acceptable.
Similarly, the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has released state-wise notification for the recruitment of Upper Division Clerk (UDC), Stenographer, and Multi-Tasking Staff (MTS) in different states. The ESIC will recruit eligible candidates after they clear three stages of the selection process for the UDC post. The Corporation has invited applications only through online mode, and the candidates must go through the notification in advance to avoid any last-minute discrepancies. Continue reading for the ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL SSA comparison.
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL SSA Overview
|Particulars||ESIC UDC||SSC CGL SSA|
|Name of the Exam Conducting Body||The Employees’ State Insurance Commission||Staff Selection Commission|
|Name of the Examination||Combined Graduate Level Examination||–|
|Number of Vacancies||1769||203|
|Mode of application||Online||Online|
|Commencement date of making the online application||23-12-2021||15-01-2022|
|Last date for making the application||23-01-2022||15-02-2022|
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL SSA Eligibility:
The eligibility criteria for every post are based on three basic criteria, i.e., Age limit, Educational Qualification, and Nationality. Understand them in detail by scrolling further.
1. Age Limit
SSC CGL SSA:
The candidates should lie between 18 and 27 years to be eligible to make an application. The candidates should not have been born earlier than 02-01-1995 and not later than 01-01-2004. It is a Group “C” post.
The candidates should ensure that their age should lie between 18 to 27 years as on the last date for receipt of the application, i.e., 15th February 2022
Various age relaxations are provided for different categories such as SC/ST, OBC, PwD, Ex-Servicemen, and many others.
The nationality condition is the same for the post:
A candidate should be either,
- a citizen of India, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a Tibetan refugee who had come to India, before 1st January 1962 for settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African Countries of Kenya, United Republic of Tanzania (Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia, Zambia, and Vietnam for settling in India.
- Candidates other than citizens of India should possess the Certificate of Eligibility which the Government of India has issued.
3. Educational Qualification:
The candidates making applications for SSC CGL SSA should possess a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized University or equivalent qualification.
The candidates should possess the degree procured from the recognized University or equivalent education to apply for the post of UDC for ESIC. They should possess working knowledge of computers that includes office suites and databases.
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL SSA Vacancy
Both the bodies have released vacancies for different categories. For ESIC, the vacancies are released state-wise.
|ESIC Region||Number of Vacancies|
|Jammu and Kashmir||08|
|West Bengal & Sikkim||113|
The vacancies for Senior Secretariat Assistant are released for different categories. The selected candidates will be appointed to different Ministries/ Departments.
|Sr. No||Post Code||Name of the Department||UR||SC||ST||OBC||EWS||Total||ESM||OH||HH||VH||Others PWD|
|1||D40||Ministry of textiles||3||0||0||0||0||3||0||0||0||00||0|
|2.||D41||Directorate General of Defence Estates (Ministry of Defence)||10||3||1||5||1||20||2||0||0||0||0|
|3.||D42||Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology||7||2||1||3||1||14||1||0||0||1||0|
|4.||D43||Department of Science and Technology||55||19||9||33||6||122||12||2||3||0||0|
|5.||D44||Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (Ministry of Jal Shakti)||0||2||0||0||0||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|6.||D45||Office of the Development Commissioner (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) [MSME]||15||3||0||5||3||26||0||0||0||0||0|
|7.||D46||Department of Agriculture, Co-operation and Farmers Welfare||3||1||0||1||0||5||0||0||0||0||0|
|8.||D47||Central Bureau of Narcotics||3||2||0||1||0||5||0||0||0||0||0|
|9.||D48||Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying & Fisheries||2||0||0||2||1||5||0||0||0||0||1|
The candidates who want to benefit from the reservation should submit the required certificate in prescribed format from the competent authority when they’re asked to submit such certificate by the Regional Offices at the time of their Document Verification. The candidate should claim the benefits of reservation up to the closing date of submitting the online application form, i.e., 23-01-2022.
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL SSA: Salary
The selected candidates will be appointed in different states where the ESIC will provide them with the salary as per the latest 7th pay commission. They will also provide them with certain allowances as per their service category.
The UDC will be paid a salary as per the Level-4 of PayScale. The salary will range between Rs. 25500 to Rs. 81100 with a Grade Pay of Rs. 2800.
They will also be paid different allowances such as Dearness Allowance, House Renting Allowance (HRA), Transport Allowance, and other allowances.
SSC CGL SSA:
The salary of the Senior Secretariat Assistant is also paid as per the 7th pay commission. The salary to SSA is paid as per Level-4 of the Payscale, ranging between Rs. 25500 to Rs. 81100. They will also provide them with a dearness allowance of 31 percent.
They will provide them city-wise HRA. The Grade pay for this job will be Rs. 2400.
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL SSA: Selection Process
The selection process for ESIC UDC is conducted in three phases:
- Preliminary Examination
- Main Examination
- Computer Skill test
The candidates will have four papers in the preliminary examination, answerable in Hindi and English except for the English Comprehension paper, which they can answer only in English. The duration for this examination is provided for 1 hour, and this exam is qualifying in nature. The question paper consists of objective-based multiple-choice questions.
|S.No.||Name of the test||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|1.||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
The second phase is Mains Examination which is also an MCQ-based objective test that has four subjects. The duration of this exam is 2 hours.
|S.No.||Name of the Tests||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|1.||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
There will be negative marking for each wrong answer provided of one-fouth or 0.25 mark assigned to the wrongly answered question.
The third phase is the Computer skill test, where the candidates are tested for capabilities to run a computer. The duration of this test is 30 minutes. There are parts of this test as provided below:
|Sr. No.||Description of Test||Marks|
|1.||Preparation of 02 PowerPoints Slides||10|
|2.||Typing matter on MS Word with formatting||20|
|3.||Preparation of Table on MS Excel with use of formulae||20|
The Corporation has fixed the qualifying marks for both the initial phases, i.e., Prelims and Mains, for all the subjects.
SSC CGL SSA: Selection Process
In Tier-I, the duration for all four subjects is 1 hour.
|Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|A. General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
|B. General Awareness||25||50|
|C. Quantitative Aptitude||25||50|
|D. English Comprehension||25||50|
|Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Paper-I: Quantitative Abilities||100||200|
|Paper-II: English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
Important Points regarding the Tier I and II:
- Tier-I and Tier-II exams consist of Objective-based Multiple choice questions. In this exam also the papers are set in two languages, i.e., Hindi and English, except for the English COmprehension in both examinations.
- There is a negative marking of 0.50 marks of the marks allotted to the question for each wrong answer.
- In Tier-II, the negative marking is 0.50 marks of the question for which the wrong answer is provided except for Paper-II English language and Comprehension.
- The time allowed for Tier-I is 1 hour, and the duration for Tier-II examination is 2 hours.
The Tier-III examination is a descriptive paper answerable in English or Hindi with the maximum marks allotted as 100 marks. The time allowed for this paper is 1 hour, and the mode of examination for this stage is Pen and Paper.
The last stage, i.e., Tier-IV, a Skill test, is based on the Data Entry Speed Test (DEST). It is conducted for selected candidates who have applied for their appointment in the Central Bureau of Narcotics.
- The candidates are tested at 8000 Key Depression per hour on Computer.
- The DEST is conducted for the passage of 2000 key depressions for 15 minutes.
- It is qualifying in nature.
- The skill test is conducted at the Regional Offices of the Commission or other centres, and the Commission will provide computers on these venues.
- The result of this test will be available on the Commission’s official website.
ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL SSA: Job Profile
ESIC UDC: Job Profile
The selected candidates are appointed in different branch offices as per their preferences while submitting the online application form. They have to perform various duties:
If the selected candidates are posted in the Regional Offices/Sub-Regional Offices/ Headquarters, then the following duties need to be performed:
- Accounting of daily transactions by the higher authorities.
- Drafting of Letters or Notices to different organisations ensuring compliance with the guidelines issued by the Corporation.
- Maintaining Documents and Files assisting in future references.
- Submission and Processing of Data online to make it visible to concerned people.
If the candidates are posted in Branch Office as Non-Cashier:
- They will have to draft letters.
- Maintain Registers to maintain the record of routine transactions
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for higher authorities.
- Preparation of Online Payment Dockets
- Making available the certificates to the organisation by timely uploading.
If the candidates are posted in Branch Office on the post of Cashier:
- Managing the bank-related works
- Issuance of cheques for different expenses
- Maintaining records in the cash book.
Career Growth Opportunities for UDC:
After providing service for a definite prescribed period, they will promote the candidates to the post of Assistant, where the initial Grade pay is Rs. 4200.
The definite prescribed period to serve to become eligible for this post is 3 years continuously in the same cadre. However, this promotion is depended on the number of vacancies available.
After serving as an Assistant for 3 years, the candidates will be eligible for the promotion at the post of Social Security Officer where the Grade Pay of Rs. 4600 in the initial stage.
SSC CGL SSA:
The selected candidates will be posted in different Ministries and Departments. The candidates will be posted in Ministries and Departments such as the Ministry of Textile, the Department of Science and Technology, the Central Bureau of Narcotics, and many others as per their preference while submitting the online application form.
Let’s take an overview of the duties to be imparted by the employees after being posted in these departments:
- The job of SSA’s is clerical.
- You will be required to perform most of the office routine work.
- The job profile of SSA is more internal than visiting the field.
- SSA must maintain and organise the documents, files, and various other official papers to improve their availability for future reference.
- Providing Response to Notices and Letters in an official manner on behalf of the department in which they are posted.
- They are also required to reply to RTI (Right to information) filed by any segment of the public. However, before providing the reply, they should obtain the permission of senior officials.
- Performance of data entry activities.
- There are no legal responsibilities for the decisions taken by the senior officials.
- There is no continuous work pressure for the SSAs.
- The selected candidates are first provided with their postings in Delhi and then are likely to be sent to different metro cities.
As we read the comparison between ESIC UDC vs SSC CGL SSA, it is clear that both the Central GOvernment jobs are reputed ones and require less educational qualification. These jobs provide you with financial security at an early age. With proper planning and preparation, the candidates can successfully get these jobs. Candidates should take some guidance to understand the examination pattern.
The application fee for SSC CGL SSA is Rs. 100/- while for ESIC UDC, the application fee for general candidates is Rs. 500/-. These application fees are exempted for women candidates and other specified reserved categories.
The candidates can make applications for more than one post i.e., Upper Division Clerk, Stenographer, and Multi-Tasking Staff in the same or different states while making applications.
The candidates should stay in touch with the official website as the admit cards will be uploaded only on these websites.
- SSC CGL Notification 2024, Check Latest Information
- CGL Full Form, All You Need to Know About SSC CGL
- SSC CGL Application Form 2024, Check Last Date
- SSC CGL Salary 2024, Check Perks, Allowances and Benefits
- SSC CGL Selection Process 2024, Check Step by Step
Oliveboard is a learning & practice platform for premier entrance exams. We have helped over 1 crore users since 2012 with their Bank, SSC, Railways, Insurance, Teaching and other competitive Exams preparation.