30 November 2019 is the date when IBPS PO 2019 Mains Exam is scheduled to be conducted. All the candidates who had cleared the IBPS PO Prelims exam would be appearing in the Phase 2, i.e. Main Exam. In this Final stage of IBPS PO 2019 Main Exam preparation every candidate should be focused on “Practice” to be able to score 35+ in the English section. The special IBPS PO series started here will help candidates achieve the said score and clear the IBPS PO Main Exam. Free English Practice Quiz 03 is the third quiz of this series. Solve the 10 English practice questions given here and let us know how you performed in the comments below -:
Free English Practice Quiz 03 -: Questions
Directions for Questions 01 to 05: In each of the following questions, rearrange the given sentences (A), (B), (C) and (D) and indicate the correct sequence in which these sentences must appear so as to make a meaningful paragraph.
Q1. (A) By increasing these connections the intelligence is also increased.
(B) Classical music has been proved to be very helpful in child development.
(C) Many doctors nowadays use it for therapeutic purposes which are based upon the findings of this research.
(D) The research has demonstrated that listening to classical music increases the rate of nervous connections in brain.
Q2. (A) This right, however, comes along with the responsibility which the press is forced to work with.
(B) It means that the pressmen have every right to expose matters related to public and national interest.
(C) Such responsibilities include not broadcasting matters related to national security and other sensitive issues.
(D) Freedom of press is symbolic of democracy.
Q3. (A) A popular example of this damage is the Taj Mahal, whose marble has been corroded due to acid rain.
(B) It changes the acidic content of water bodies, thus affecting the lives of the living organisms of this habitat.
(C) Acid rain has been a major factor responsible for the degradation of the environment.
(D) Along with affecting the living beings, it is also responsible for the corrosion of several heritage buildings, thus causing irreparable damages to them.
Q4. (A) Along with missing their education, these children also face life-threatening dangers by working in hazardous chemical factories.
(B) Child labour has been interfering with the education of millions of children across India.
(C) However, there is a dire need to reinforce these laws strictly throughout the country.
(D) Many laws have been framed in order to curb this evil.
Q5. (A) Their invention has been proved to be a boon to the society since many diseases caused by the microbes could be cured by these antibiotics.
(B) The scientists, therefore, face a continuous challenge to keep inventing newer drugs to counter this problem.
(C) A major hurdle in the use of antibiotics, however, is that the microbes develop resistance to the antibiotics, thus rendering these ineffective.
(D) Antibiotics are chemical substances produced by microbes which are capable of inhibiting the growth of other microbes.
Directions for Questions 06 to 10: In each of the following sentences, an idiomatic expression or a proverb is highlighted. Select the alternative which best describes its use in the sentence.
Q6. Although Ravi felt lonely in his fight against the wrong, he decided to take the bull by the horns.
(1) Ravi decided to convince others of his stance.
(2) Ravi decided to give up his fight.
(3) Ravi decided to put forward all his courage and strength.
(4) Ravi decided to apologize for his actions.
(5) None of these.
Q7. As the situation got out of control, the speaker of the parliament tried to put oil over troubled waters.
(1) The speaker tried to calm the situation.
(2) The speaker tried to take advantage of the situation.
(3) The speaker jumped into the fight.
(4) The speaker remained indifferent to the situation.
(5) None of these
Q8. The researcher tried his best to explain the importance of his new discovery to the panel members but soon realised that he was casting pearls before a swine.
(1) He realised that the panel members would take his suggestions seriously.
(2) He realised that he disclosed the information to a greedy panel.
(3) He realised that he had come to the right group of people.
(4) He realised that the panel members cannot appreciate his findings.
(5) None of these
Q9. The chairman had to eat a humble pie after the workers decided to go on strike to protest against the biased promotions.
(1) The chairman politely refused to take the promotion orders back.
(2) The chairman gave up his pride and apologised for the mistake.
(3) The chairman had to face defeat by a group of ordinary workers.
(4) The chairman’s career was tinted due to the allegations of biased promotions.
(5) None of these
Q10. The bankrupt organisation has been handed over to its new owners, lock, stock and barrel.
(1) Only a few departments of the bankrupt organisation have been taken over by the new owners.
(2) The new owners have bought the bankrupt organization for a very nominal amount.
(3) The owners have bought the bankrupt organisation in a hurry.
(4) The new owners have completely taken over the bankrupt organisation.
(5) None of these
Free English Practice Quiz 03 -: Answer Key
That is all from us in today Free English Practice Quiz 03. Keep visiting this space for more free quizzes and practice questions for IBPS PO Mains Exam. All the best for your preparation.
IBPS PO Special Series -:
Also Check Out -:
- Free Mock Tests
- Oliveboard Mobile App – Study materials, Podcasts, Wordlists
- Oliveboard’s discuss forum – Share, Discuss and Learn with fellow aspirants
- Oliveboard Telegram Group – Clear your doubts and Interact directly with our Expert Faculty
- Crack IBPS Clerk 2020 Online Course – Join Now
- Join EDGE Courses for Bank Exams – Get personal mentoring by experts
- IBPS PO 2020 Mock Tests – Attempt a Free Mock Test Now
- IBPS RRB PO Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- IBPS RRB Assistant Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- Guarantee your success in 2020 with SBI PO Titan Course on EDGE + 30 Full-length SBI PO mock tests
- Attempt a Free SEBI Grade A Mock Test here