The Indian Revenue Service (IRS) is the largest Central Service in Group A, and it is one of the most significant services since it deals with revenue collecting in India. The Indian Revenue Service’s profile is discussed in this article.
Through the Income Tax Department, the IRS plays a critical role in executing direct tax legislation. With over 75,000 personnel scattered across 550 sites, the Income Tax Department is one of India’s largest government ministries. You may find an Income Tax office in almost every district across the country.
Aspirants can use this page to plan their next steps for the IRS exam. This page will assist aspiring candidates in understanding the Indian Revenue Service’s classification, pay range, functions, and responsibilities (IRS).
IRS Officer Job Profile
After the IAS, IPS, and IFS, the IRS officer is the fourth most regarded official in the Civil Services. They are made up of the Internal Revenue Service (C&CE) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (IT). Direct (Income, Corporate, Wealth, FBT, etc.) and indirect (Central Excise, Service Tax, and even Customs Duty) taxes are collected, administered, and policies are formed by IRS officers. India’s tax administrators are these officers. They are either under the Department of Revenue’s Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) or the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) under the Ministry of Finance’s Department of Revenue.
These are the officers in charge of ensuring the appropriate collection of money from the government’s taxes, whether federal or state, which is a major source of revenue for the governments concerned. It is the revenue that the different governments utilise to fund the social programmes they will implement.
IRS officers are responsible for collecting, administering, and formulating direct and indirect tax policies. IRS officials are commonly referred to as India’s tax administrators due to this. The collection of income for growth, security, and governance is one of the most crucial tasks of an IRS Officer. IRS officials’ primary responsibility is to collect taxes such as income tax, central excise tax, customs duty, and now service tax. An IAS Official is the highest-ranking officer in the executive branch of the Indian government’s civil service.
IRS Officer (Income Tax) Duties:
You will work as an Assistant Commissioner for around 8 years before being promoted to Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax (DCIT). You’ll look at circumstances when the tax assessed is more than the prescribed amount. Assistant Commissioners are in charge of revenue and losses ranging from Rs. 2 to Rs. 5 lakhs.
Indian Revenue Service (IRS) – Roles & Responsibilities
1. Formulation Of Policies
The IRS officials undertake indirect tax policy development and revisions through the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
2. Administration of taxation
An IRS officer’s primary responsibility in the field is to levy and collect taxes. One crucial purpose is to guarantee that willful tax evaders are prosecuted and that revenue collection is complete and consistent. IRS officials serve as investigators and prosecutors in addition to being tax administrators.
3. Fight Against Money Laundering
IRS employees are also tasked with combating black money. They must also establish international agreements with other tax jurisdictions in this regard.
4. Manage Relations
As an IRS Officer, you’ll be expected to manage policy issues in the context of tax evasion investigations via letters and phone conversations. They also have oversight of the government’s money collection department. An IRS Officer oversees workers to ensure that any funds owing to the government (state, central, or regional) are accurately billed and received in a timely way.
Training Of IRS Officers
IRS agents are primarily trained at Nagpur’s National Academy of Direct Taxes (NADT) when they first join the agency. Following a four-month Foundation Course, officers get thorough training in specifically created modules on taxation and related legislation, accounting, public finances, fiscal policy, office processes, and so on for sixteen months. They are deployed to various field offices and organisations around India for the training. They are also sent abroad to gain exposure to the finest taxing methods in different parts of the world.
Powers Of IRS Officers
When dealing with IRS Revenue Officers, keep in mind that they have a wide range of enforcement instruments at their disposal. These abilities include:
1. Securing the IRS’s interest in a taxpayer’s property by filing a federal tax lien.
2. Impose a fee on bank accounts, salary, and subcontractor earnings.
3. Assets with equity, such as real estate, vehicles, and business equipment, are seized.
4. Using a summons to compel a taxpayer to appear at the Revenue Officer’s office and submit a financial statement (followed by enforcement of #1, #2, and #3 above).
5. Inquire into the liability of firm owners and management for the trust fund recovery penalty.
6. Prepare “substitute returns” to create a liability on the IRS’s books when people refuse to file taxes freely.
7. Make referrals to the Criminal Investigation Division of the Internal Revenue Service.
8. Installment agreements and uncollectible status for grants. Offers in compromise and innocent spouse claims are not investigated or decided by Field Revenue Officers directly.
9. Pursue property transfer recovery to third parties designed to thwart the IRS’s interest, such as through transferee liability and nominee liens.
10. Pay a personal visit to a taxpayer’s residence or place of business. Expect a card in the door if you are not at home. The best time to go is before the long weekends.
Always respect the authority of an IRS Revenue Officer.
Hope you found this article helpful. For any queries, reach to us out at Oliveboard.
The collection of income for growth, security, and governance is one of the most crucial tasks of an IRS Officer. IRS officials’ primary responsibility is to collect taxes such as income tax, central excise tax, customs duty, and now service tax.
When you are assigned to tribunals at a later stage in your career, you may be working as an advocate or a judge. You may work at the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence and, in rare circumstances, even overseas. IRS (IT) is a typical office job in terms of working hours.
First, look at IRS officers’ authority under the Income Tax Act. An IRS official wields a great deal of influence, and you will be responsible for enforcing the IT Act from the moment you are hired.
- SSC CHSL Final Result 2023 Out, Check Cut Off and Merit List PDF
- SSC Selection Post Phase 12 Admit Card, Direct Link to Download
- SSC Selection Post Phase 12 Notification 2024 Out, Check Details
- SSC Selection Post Phase 12 Salary, Check the Pay Scale
- SSC Calendar 2024 Out, Check Official SSC Exam Dates
Oliveboard is a learning & practice platform for premier entrance exams. We have helped over 1 crore users since 2012 with their Bank, SSC, Railways, Insurance, Teaching and other competitive Exams preparation.