In a significant and historic decision, the Vice-President and Chairman of the Rajya Sabha, Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar, has reconstituted a panel of Vice-Chairpersons, which includes 13 women members of the Rajya Sabha. This reconstitution was done specifically for the day when the Rajya Sabha was to discuss the Nari Shakti Vandan Vidheyak Bill, 2023.
This move underscores the importance of women’s representation and participation in legislative discussions and decisions, especially when addressing issues related to women’s empowerment and rights. It demonstrates a commitment to inclusivity and diversity in the legislative process, allowing women members to play a significant role in shaping the discussions surrounding the Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam or the Women’s Reservation Bill, 2023.
The Vice-President, Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar, highlighted the significance of having women members on the chair during the discussion of the Nari Shakti Vandan Vidheyak Bill, 2023. He emphasized that their presence would convey a powerful message to the global community, symbolizing that women held a “commanding position” during this transformative moment of change. This move underscores the importance of gender equality and women’s leadership in shaping policies and legislation that impact their lives and rights.
Women Rajya Sabha Members Nominated to the Panel of Vice-Chairpersons
- Shrimati P. T. Usha
- Shrimati S. Phangnon Konyak
- Shrimati Jaya Bachchan
- Ms. Saroj Pandey
- Shrimati Rajani Ashokrao Patil
- Dr. Fauzia Khan
- Ms. Dola Sen
- Ms. Indu Bala Goswami
- Dr. Kanimozhi NVN Somu
- Ms. Kavita Patidar
- Shrimati Mahua Maji
- Dr. Kalpana Saini
- Shrimati Sulata Deo
Panel of Vice-Chairpersons in Rajya Sabha
The Panel of Vice-Chairpersons in Rajya Sabha is a group of members who are appointed by the Chairman to assist him in the conduct of business in the House. The Vice-Chairpersons preside over the House in the absence of the Chairman. The Panel of Vice-Chairpersons is constituted at the beginning of each session of the Rajya Sabha.
Functions of the Vice-Chairpersons
- Presiding over the House in the absence of the Chairman
- Admitting and putting questions to the vote
- Maintaining order and decorum in the House
- Deciding on points of order
- Ruling on admissibility of motions and amendments
- Granting leave for the introduction of bills and resolutions
- Calling upon members to speak
The Vice-Chairpersons play an important role in the functioning of the Rajya Sabha. They help to ensure that the business of the House is conducted in a smooth and efficient manner.
The Panel of Vice-Chairpersons is a diverse group of members who represent different regions, parties, and ideological perspectives. This diversity ensures that the Vice-Chairpersons are able to discharge their duties in a fair and impartial manner.
- 8 December Current Affairs 2023 in English
- Legends League Cricket 2023 – Schedule, Venue, Teams
- APAAR One Nation One ID Card, Complete Information
- The Life and Legacy of India’s First Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
- PM Shri Narendra Modi Inaugurates Viksit Bharat Sankalp Yatra
- Armed Forces Flag Day 2023 – Background, Theme & Significance