When we talk about preparing for the CAT exam, the first thought that hits us is how will I crack the Verbal Ability section, isn’t it? Well if you answer to that question is yes, then this blog has the answer for you. In the verbal ability section, that majority value is of Reading comprehension and it requires more than just regular efforts to ace the topic. Here, we will be sharing tips on How to Prepare reading comprehension for CAT 2020.
Before, starting with the tips we will first have a look at the exam pattern of the CAT 2020.
1. CAT 2020 Exam Pattern
|Sections||Total Questions in each Section||Total Time Allotted|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||34||60 mins|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||34||60 mins|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||32||60 mins|
2. How To Prepare Reading Comprehension for CAT 2020?
Reading comprehension forms a major part of the VARC section. 24 questions out of 34 are based on reading comprehension.
You can guide your preparations by following the below-mentioned tips:
- Reading an English newspaper is a must. Not only will it put you in the habit of reading but it also will enhance your vocabulary and general awareness. Read the editorial section of the newspaper to enhance your reading skills and understanding of the editorial.
- Reading daily will increase your reading speed as well as enhance your comprehension powers. Gradually you will be able to understand the passage in its entirety and this again will help you answer any question related to the passage.
- Since 2017, IIMs have started releasing CAT exam papers with answer keys, attempt those RC passages from actual CAT test papers, and answer questions on them. This would help you immensely in understanding the pattern of questions and passages asked in the actual CAT Exam.
- Monitor the time you take to solve the complete reading comprehension passage. Solve it in the least time possible. Now this will require continuous practice on your part to solve the comprehension questions within a limited time.
- Solve RC on a regular basis. Solve questions on Central idea of the passage, the meaning of the passage, and more. Give yourself the exposure to multiple websites and try and understand their passages and figure out the central idea and gist of the passage yourself.
- Keep practicing.
3. How To attempt the Reading Comprehension in CAT 2020?
The topics in the exam range from economy, social, editorial, and other topics. It often includes website articles, international newspaper articles, and more.
Read the following tips to keep in mind before starting to attempt the questions:
- Choose the topic you are most comfortable with
- Work out on the questions that are fairly direct and straight as they will consume less time.
- The first few sentences of the RC passage gives the major hint for the entire text. Also, more often than not the first question will be from the first few sentences and so on.
- Always stick to the passage while answering questions from RC.
- Read the passage thoroughly first then move onto answer the question as that will save your time.
- Do not stick on attempting all the questions, remember every wrong answer will attract a negative marking f 1/3rd.
4. Preparation For CAT 2020 – Complete Mock Test Series
While preparing for CAT 2020, having the right material and a clever approach is what is gonna take you past the exam and get you into your dream college.
Here is what we have for you:
That brings us to the end of this article, how to prepare Reading Comprehension For CAT 2020. We hope that the tips shared here help you prepare well for the exams and you find them useful in the long run.