SSC CGL Tier 2 Preparation Tips : Having received multiple queries from our readers regarding SSC CGL Tier-II preparation, we would be addressing these queries by giving preparation tips for each section of the Tier-II examination. We bring to you an E-book on SSC CGL 2022 Tier-II Preparation Tips for both English and Quantitative Aptitude.
The SSC CGL Tier-II exam demands a lot of hard work and diligent preparation. The aspirants MUST start their preparation NOW!
Table of Contents
SSC CGL Tier 2 Preparation Tips for Quantitative Ability & English
Before we proceed, let’s take a look at the SSC CGL Tier-II exam pattern.
SSC CGL Tier-II : Exam Pattern 2022
|Serial No.||Papers||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|1||Paper-I: Quantitative Ability||100||200||2 hours|
|2||Paper-II: English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 hours|
|3||Paper-III: Statistics||100||200||2 hours|
|4||Paper-IV: General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200||2 hours|
Note that :
- In Tier-II, there will be negative marking of 0.25 for each wrong answer in paper II (English Language & Comprehension) of Tier-II and 0.50 for each wrong answer in Paper-I, Paper III and Paper IV of Tier II.
- Also, this will be treated as a qualifying paper only.
Let us now look at the syllabus and preparation tips for each of the above-mentioned sections.
SSC CGL Exam 2022 Tier-II Preparation Guide : Quantitative Ability
Based on the past few years’ papers (last 3 years at least), it would be safe to say that the following topics cover almost 50% of this section:
These topics fall under the advanced math category and require conceptual clarity and regular practice. Hence, make sure you thoroughly clear the basics for these topics. After a thorough analysis of the Previous year’s SSC CGL question papers, we discovered that questions from topics under Advanced Mathematics are repeated year after year. So, it’s a good idea to refer to Previous Year SSC CGL Question Papers and solve all the Quant questions.
Strengthen your strong and mediocre areas so much so that you can attempt at least 75% of the questions. Then start working on building speed and accuracy. Also, diversify the questions you solve in a day. This will keep you mentally engaged and will ensure better learning.
Some preparation resources for you:
- Practice Sets
- Previous Year SSC CGL Question Papers (organized chapter-wise)
Notes on ebooks:
It has been noticed time and again, that a lot of books containing SSC CGL practice sets and previous year question papers have a lot of errors. Therefore, one needs to be extremely careful when it comes to choosing books for exam preparation. Make sure you pick the best and the most recommended preparation material with the least errors.
Oliveboard provides Concept Lessons, Video lectures, Comprehensive Quantitative Aptitude Sectional Tests, and Topic Tests to practice questions and understand the concept better. These questions are created by exam toppers & experts after thorough research and analysis.
Try it out for yourself for free here: Quantitative Aptitude Preparation Material
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests, and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
SSC CGL Exam 2022 Tier-II Preparation Guide : English Language Comprehension
The main topics to be covered under the English Language Comprehension section of the SSC CGL Tier-II exam are as follows:
- Direct Indirect Speech
- Cloze Test
- Active Passive Voice
- One-word Substitution
- Idioms and Phrases
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence Jumbles
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Sentence Completion
- Wrongly Spelt Words
One must realize that scoring in the English section is always easier as it is less time-consuming. However, there is a caveat: one MUST establish a stronghold over basics such as grammar and vocabulary. In the following section, we share some tips for the RC section. Many people face problems here, so read the following tips to ace your RCs for the SSC CGL Tier-II exam.
Use the following tips as a guide to prepare for or to attempt RC questions:-
A good reading speed gives you an edge to score well in the exam, so make sure while preparing for RC you also work on your reading speed.
Read how to increase your reading speed here.
- Strictly stick to what is given in the passage and assume NOTHING else; even if it is true in day today situations. Do NOT make any assumptions whatsoever.
- It is essential to balance speed and accuracy to score well in any competitive exam. The best way in which you can gauge this is via practicing multiple mock tests. Mock tests not only condition you for the real time exam but also help you analyze your areas of strength and weaknesses.
- RC passages can range from a variety of topics such as: Philosophy, Psychology, Economics, Politics or even Science. We never know what might come our way. Hence, it is important that we establish a level of comfort with all such genres by reading from multiple sources. Newspapers, especially the editorials and the weekend specials are a good place to start.
- A major problem that all candidates face while solving RC questions is that they get confused between 2 options. This happens because we read to understand only what the statements say; whereas the RC questions demands our understanding of the writer’s/author’s perspective as well (this is known as reading between the lines).
- We suggest the following preparation strategy for your SSC CGL Tier-II Exam 2022:
Brush up concepts -> Practice Questions -> Solve Previous year question papers -> Revise -> Take Full Mock Tests
2. After learning each topic, take a sectional test for that topic to measure your progress. Continue learning and practising till you’re thorough in that concept and then move on to the next one.
3. Chances of questions similar to ones that appeared in the 2020 paper appearing in the 2022 exam are high. Solving the previous year’s quant question paper will familiarize you with the question patterns and difficulty levels.
4. Revision is important to retain the concepts learned. Revise each concept 2-3 times before the exam. It’s also important that you practice sectional tests after revising each topic to master it.
5. Take full-length mock tests after your preparation to measure your progress. Mock tests provide you instant feedback in the form of analytics, which will help you determine your speed & accuracy in solving questions and identify your strong and weak areas. You can also use your performance analysis to fine-tune your preparation by practising more questions from topics you’re weak or slow at.
Hope this helps.
All the Best!
- 10 Common Mistakes to avoid during SSC CGL preparation
- 100 Important General Awareness Questions asked in Railway RRB Group D Exams
- 100 Important General Awareness Questions asked in Railway RRB Group D Exams – Part 2
The most comprehensive online preparation portal for MBA, Banking and Government exams. Explore a range of mock tests and study material at www.oliveboard.in
Oliveboard Live Courses & Mock Test Series