With the release of exam dates for RRB Group-D, the preparation has taken up momentum among the students. So in order to excel in this exam, you have to maximize your score in each of the sections. One of the important sections in this exam is the General Science section. The general science section if prepared with the right strategy can definitely give you an edge over the other candidates. In this article, we shall discuss the detailed preparation strategy for General Science for RRB Group-D.
- Exam Pattern of RRB Group-D:
- General Science for RRB Group-D:
- Life Sciences:
- Tips to prepare for General Science for RRB Group-D:
- Sample Questions:
- What Oliveboard offers you:
Exam Pattern of RRB Group-D:
The Computer Based Test which is the first stage of the recruitment process involves the following sections:
- General Science
- General Intelligence and Reasoning
- General Awareness and Current Affairs
The distribution of questions among the different sections is as follows:
|TOPICS||No. of Questions*|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||30|
|General Awareness & Current Affairs||20|
General Science for RRB Group-D:
The syllabus for RRB Group-D broadly mentions that the General Science section will cover Physics, Chemistry and Life Sciences of the 10th standard level (CBSE). However, we shall have a detailed understanding of the complete syllabus of General Science for RRB Group D.
Following are the topics to be covered for Physics:
|Light – Reflection and Refraction||Human Eye and Colourful World|
|Management of Natural Resources||Magnetic Effects of Electric Current|
|Sources of Energy|
Let us have a look at the sup-topics in Physics for the General Science for RRB Group D.
Light – Reflection and Refraction:
- Reflection of Light
- Mirrors and Lenses
- Refraction of Light
Human Eye and Colourful World:
- Human Eye
- Defects of Vision and Their Correction like Myopia, hypermetropia etc.
- Refraction of Light through a Prism
- Dispersion of White Light by a Glass Prism
- Atmospheric Refraction
- Scattering of Light
- Electric Current and Circuit
- Electric Potential and Potential Difference
- Circuit Diagram
- Ohm’s Law
- Factors on which the resistance of a conductor depends
- Resistance of a system of resistors
- Heating Effect of Electric Current
- Electric Power
Magnetic Effects of Electric Current:
- Magnetic Field and Field Lines
- Magnetic Field due to a current carrying conductor
- Force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field
- Electric Motor
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Electric Generator
- Domestic Electric Circuits
Sources of Energy:
- Conventional Sources of Energy
- Alternative or Non-Conventional Sources of Energy
- Eco-System and its components.
- Activities affecting the Environment
Following are the topics to be covered for Chemistry.
|Chemical Reactions and Equations||Acids, Bases and Salts|
|Metals and Non-Metals||Carbon and its Compounds|
|Periodic Classification of Elements|
Let us have a look at the sup-topics in Chemistry for the General Science for RRB Group D.
Chemical Reactions and Equations:
- Chemical Reactions
- Balanced Chemical Equations
- Oxidation and Reduction
Acids, Bases and Salts:
- Acids, Bases and Salts
- Concept of pH Scale
- Bleaching Powder, Uses of Sodium Hydroxide, Baking Soda, Washing Soda, Plaster of Paris
Metals and Non-Metals:
- Metals and Non-metals
- Properties of Metals and Non-Metals
- Reactivity Series
- Formation and Properties of Ionic Compounds
- Basic Metallurgical Process
- Corrosion and its Prevention
Carbon and its Compounds:
- Carbon compounds
- Covalent bonding in carbon compounds
- Versatile nature of carbon
- Homologous series
- Nomenclature of carbon compounds containing functional groups (halogens, alcohol, ketones, aldehydes, alkanes and alkynes)
- Difference between saturated hydrocarbons and unsaturated hydrocarbons
- Chemical properties of carbon compounds (combustion, oxidation, addition and substitution reaction)
- Ethanol and Ethanoic acid (only properties and uses)
- Soaps and detergents
Periodic Classification of Elements:
- Periodic classification of elements : Need for classification
- Atomic number
- Metallic and non-metallic properties
|Life Processes||Control and Coordination|
|How do Organisms Reproduce||Heredity and Evolution|
Following are the topics to be covered for Life Sciences.
- What are Life Processes
- Nutrition, Respiration, Transportation, Excretion
How Do Organisms Reproduce:
- Modes of Reproduction
Heredity and Evolution:
- Heredity and Evolution
- Evolution and Classification
Control and Coordination:
- Animals – Nervous System
- Coordination in Plants and Hormones in Animals
Tips to prepare for General Science for RRB Group-D:
- The General Science section is expected to contain basic Science questions from Class 8- 10. So, a thorough read of these topics from the NCERT books can help to ace this section. One can also refer to NCERT Notes that are scattered across the internet.
- You can refer to the PDFs of science notes on the Oliveboard’s portal for the complete preparation of science section.
- Books like Lucent’s General Science, Arihant’s NCERT Practice Workbook Science can help you with the General Science section for RRB Group-D.
- How can the preparation of any competitive exam be holistic, if you do not practice? To test your understanding and gain confidence in General Science for RRB Group-D, attempt sectional test on daily basis and full length mock test at least once in a week .
Here are some Sample Questions on General Science for RRB Group D.
1.Decibel is the unit of which of the following?
- Speed of Light
- Intensity of Sound
- Intensity of Heat
- Amount of Electricity
2. Amphibians and many reptiles have how many chambered hearts?
3. What is the chemical name of Baking Soda?
- Sodium Carbonate
- Sodium Bicarbonate
- Sodium Thiocarbonate
- Sodium Tetracarbonate
What Oliveboard offers you:
Practice harder, the more questions one attempts, the higher are the chances of cracking the exam because “In Science We Trust”!
Hope this blog helped you in your preparation. If you have any queries feel free to post it below.
Best of Luck!
- Mission SSC CGL 2020-21 Online Course + Test Series: Join Now
- Attempt SBI PO Free Mock Test for Prelims now
- IB ACIO 2020 – 2000 Vacancies – Start Preparing a Free Mock Test now
- JK Bank Mains – Crash Course + Mock Tests – Join Now
- ECGC PO 2021 – Kickstart your preparation with a Free Mock Test
- Crack All IBPS Exams – Join Mega Banking Online Course Now