With SBI PO 2019 Examination just round the corner, an aspirant needs to be very particular about his preparation for the Exam. The SBI PO prelims exam is scheduled in June and the main exam is scheduled to happen in July 2019. Aspirants have ample time at their disposal to prepare thoroughly for both Prelims and Mains of SBI PO 2019 Exam. You should leave no stone unturned when it comes to preparing for the actual Exam. We at Oliveboard have always been there to make preparations easier and comfortable for you. We have come up with a complete preparation guide for the English Language Section for the SBI PO 2019 Exam. Read the blog to know as to How to Prepare English for SBI PO 2019.
How to Prepare English for SBI PO 2019 – Previous Years Paper Analysis
SBI PO 2018 Exam Analysis – English Language
|Types of Questions asked in Prelims Exam 2018||Types of Questions asked in Main Exam
|Reading Comprehension||Reading Comprehension: 5Q|
|Phrase Replacement||Fill in the Blanks (3 Blanks, New Type): 3Q|
|Error Detection||Antonym Synonym Pair: 1Q|
|Sentence Rearrangement||Cloze Test (New Type): 1Q|
|Identifying Correct Sentence||RC (New Type with five-numbered Paragraphs): 13Q|
|Fillers||Odd One Out: 1Q|
|Sentence Connector: 1Q|
|Similar Meaning Sentences: 2Q|
|Para jumbles: 3Q|
|Blanks with Error Spotting (New Types): 5Q|
Note a Few Things about SBI PO Exam
With regards to the SBI PO Exam in general, please note a few things –
- This section is easiest for some and most difficult for others. However, if prepared properly and regularly, it can turn out to be the most scoring one.
- English Language Section usually has lengthy comprehension based questions that test the level of your understanding of the English Language.
- Questions in this section test your Grammar and Vocabulary too.
- Unlike other sections, English Language requires you to actively apply your knowledge to become better at it, and that can be done only by being an avid reader.
How to Prepare English for SBI PO 2019? Tips for English Section
The key to ace this section is reading extensively. With the changing exam patterns, only mugging up rules of grammar won’t help. One cannot be sure of the type of questions asked in this section so one must be able to read and comprehend the exam question without panicking. And this will happen only when one is in habit of reading.
Reading of an English newspaper is must. Not only will it put you in the habit of reading but also will enhance your vocabulary and general awareness.
Important Topics for English section:
- This may sound repetitive but reading articles extensively on different topics is the key to answering the questions asked here.
- Try practicing at least 2-3 passages daily to get hold of the topic. This is the lengthiest area in the subject; first read the questions and then skim through the passage.
- This way, you will be able to ‘pick’ out the answers from the passage as you go through it. If you are comfortable, try answering the vocabulary questions first.
For detailed tips regarding RCs refer to the below given links.
First be thorough with grammar basics using standard books like Wren and Martin or Objective General English by SP Bakshi. Then start practicing the type of questions by various quizzes and then try and attempt sectional tests which will give you grip over these types of questions.
Type of questions are mentioned below:
- Error Spotting
- Active and Passive Voice
- Direct and Indirect Speech
- Idioms and Phrases
- Arrangements and Rearrangements of Sentences
- Read through all the sentences to determine the gist or summary of the passage;
- Look up the sentences independently and then think of how they come or match together.
- Then try arranging them separately or one-by-one; try to identify the first and last sentences of the passage, because that helps build a mental image or idea of how the rest of the sentences should be like.
Spotting Errors/Sentence Improvement and Correction
- Read the sentence in its entirety and see if it makes sense to you; quite often, some error will be obvious and hence it will be easy to spot that out.
- If not, look for the options and see what appears to be the most logically correct choice.
- Once you read the initial sentence first, you shall be able to answer the question easily by eliminating the options.
- Ensure that your preparation and knowledge of grammar is at par, because often spotting a grammar error is one of the easiest ways to disregard an option.
- These questions might be asked directly as a standalone question or may be asked in RCs.
- For these reading newspapers and learning new words daily would help a lot.
- Also, when synonyms/antonyms are asked in RCs, try to understand the context in which a that particular word is used and then decide accordingly.
Type of questions asked are mentioned below:
These questions might be asked directly as a standalone question or may be asked in RCs. For these reading newspapers and learning new words daily would help a lot. Also, when synonyms/antonyms are asked in RCs, try to understand the context in which a that particular word is used and then decide accordingly.
- Cloze Test
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Practice is needed to familiarize yourself with more topics; when presented with the options.
- Make sure you read each word that is given as an option and try fitting it in the sentence and seeing if it makes sense to you; that way by the method of elimination, you can remove the parts that you think are not a good fit for the sentences.
We hope that the above information help you in your preparation and you like our blog “How to Prepare English for SBI PO 2019?” and all your questions How to Prepare English for SBI PO 2019 is answered now. Stay tuned to Oliveboard for much such informative material.
SBI PO Crash Course for SBI PO 2019 Preparation
For your complete SBI PO 2019 preparation, you can join Oliveboard’s Crash Course for SBI PO 2019.
It is a Live Online Course that offers:
✔ Full Syllabus + Day-wise Study Plan
✔ Live Classes & Live Practice Sessions
✔ Top Faculty for Each Section
✔ Sectional + All India Mock Tests
- Live Classes for Quant, English, Reasoning, and GA
- Live Practice sessions with Scores and Ranks
- Individual Video Doubt Clearing Sessions with faculty
- Topic wise Quizzes with discussions
- Sectional tests and SBI PO 2019 Mock Tests
So hurry up and Enroll now to not miss out on this excellent opportunity of getting the best online course for the SBI PO Exam.
Oliveboard Live Courses & Mock Test Series
- Prepare for RBI Assistant 2019 Exam with Mock Tests & Live Classes Here
- SSC CGL Brahamstra – Join Practice-based Online Tuition for SSC CGL 2019-20 Exam
- Attempt a Free IBPS Clerk Mains Mock Test here
- SSC CHSL 2019 – Attempt Free Mock Tests now
- Prepare for Railway RRB NTPC Exam – Take a Free Mock Test