CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2023
CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2023: National Testing Agency (NTA) will be conducting CSIR NET December 2023 Exam from 26th to 28th December 2023 to determine the candidate’s CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 for a Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) or Lectureship (LS) in the areas of Chemical Sciences, Atmospheric, Earth, Ocean and Planetary Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Physical Sciences. The online application process has been started on 01st November 2023 and will last till 30th November 2023 (05:00 pm). This article will provide a detailed account of the CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2023.
CSIR NET 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Exam organizers keep eligibility criteria according to their requirements of qualifications and experience. Candidates should first check the eligibility criteria placed for any exam before applying for it. CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 are listed below. NTA’s nationality, age limit, and educational qualification requirements for CSIR NET 2023 may be found here.
CSIR NET Eligibility – Nationality
The nationality criteria for CSIR NET has the following points-
- Candidates must be Indian citizens.
- Indian nationals living abroad can also apply for the exam.
- Candidates who are not Indian citizens but have a valid work permit in India can also apply for the exam.
CSIR NET Eligibility – Age
The CSIR NET Age Limit for General category Junior Research Fellows (JRFs) is 28 years, although there is no age limit for lecturers. The age criteria helps narrow down desirable candidates according to the job. CSIE NET’s age criteria is as follows.
- Upper Age Limit:
- 28 years for General/OBC candidates applying to JRF
- None for Lecturership
The age limit is calculated on the basis of the candidate’s date of birth as on the 1st of July of the year in which the CSIR NET exam is being held. For example, for 2023, the upper age limit for General/OBC candidates will be 28 years. This means that candidates who are born on or before 1st July 1988 will be eligible to apply for the exam.
The age relaxation is for candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD and OBC (Non-creamy layer) categories. This means that these candidates can apply for the exam even if they are above the upper age limit.
Candidates from SC/ST/OBC/PwD must check the age relaxation criteria as they can get a 3 or 5 year relaxation. SC/ST/PWD or female applicants must not exceed the age of 33 years. Whereas, the maximum age limit for OBC candidates is 31 years.
The education criteria has two parts- the general qualifications and the subject-wise qualifications required. Candidates can check both below.
Basic Educational Criteria
The basic educational criteria for CSIR NET 2023 is as follows –
- Candidates must have a BE, B.Pharma, B. Tech, MSc, Integrated BS-MS, MBBS, or any other science degree with a minimum of 55%.
- Candidates in the Reserved category receive a 5% mark relaxation. Candidates who are studying for an M.Sc and have finished their graduation (10+2+3) are also eligible to take this exam.
- Candidates who have completed a B.Sc. or are enrolled in an Integrated MS-Ph.D. program and have at least a 55% mark are eligible to apply.
- Candidates with an Engineering or Science background can satisfy the CSIR NET Eligibility for the fellowship if they enroll in a Ph.D. or Ph.D. Integrated program within two years of graduation.
CSIR NET Eligibility 2023 includes qualifications with at least 55% for General and Other Backward Class (OBC) candidates and 50% for Scheduled Caste (SC)/ Scheduled Tribe (ST)/ Persons with Disability (PwD) candidates. Candidates can check the Subject-wise qualification for the exam.
- Life Science – As per the eligibility for Life Science, Candidates need to pursue academic qualifications in the field of life sciences. This is crucial as the CSIR NET Life Science Syllabus is complex and requires knowledge of the subject.
- Chemical Sciences – Candidates must have M.Sc./BS/B-Tech or a similar degree in Chemistry with the required percentage.
- Earth Sciences – As per CSIR NET Eligibility for Earth Science, Candidates must pursue an M.Sc./BS-MS/BS-4 Years/B-Pharma or any similar degree in the subject of Earth Science.
- Mathematical Sciences – Candidates must have earned an M.Sc./BS-MS/BS/B-Tech or equivalent degree in Mathematics. Only then they will be able to understand the CSIR NET Syllabus for Mathematics.
- Physical Sciences – Having a valid M.Sc. Physics or BS-MS in Physics degree, or any equivalent degree, within the required percentage, is a basic requirement.
Important Note :
- Candidates in an M.Sc. program are eligible to apply. Those who have completed the 10+2+3 year education program are eligible to apply under the Result Awaited (RA) category if they will finish the qualification degree with qualifying marks inside the two-year validity period and are eligible for the fellowship from the effective start date.
- Only Ph.D. holders who received a 50% mark on their master’s degree before September 19, 1992, are eligible for a Lectureship.
- Candidates who qualify for a Lectureship will be considered for a Lectureship and a Junior Research Fellowship in a Scheme/Project.
- Candidates will receive JRF fellowships from the CSIR or the UGC, depending on their assignment, or from programs in which they may have an affiliation.
- Candidates who are eligible for a Junior Research Fellowship or a Lectureship under the UGC scheme will be subject to UGC rules and regulations under the CSIR NET Eligibility.
CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Frequently Asked Questions
A1. Candidates should be M.Sc. or equivalent degree with at least 55% marks.
A2. The age limit is 35 years for General category, 40 years for OBC, and 45 years for SC/ST/PwD candidates.
A3. Candidates must have a Master’s degree in a science subject from a recognized university with at least 55% marks.
A4. The language of the CSIR NET exam is English.
A5. The minimum qualifying marks required are 33% for General, EWS and OBC category, and 25% for SC, ST and PwD candidates.
A6. There is no limit on the number of times you can appear for CSIR NET.
- CSIR NET 2023 Notification Out, Registration started
- CSIR NET Exam Date 2023, Know the December Schedule
- CSIR NET Eligibility Criteria 2023, For JRF and Lecturer
- CSIR NET Salary 2023, Job Profile, Per Month, Pay Scale
- CSIR NET Syllabus 2023, Know the Topics and Exam Pattern
- CSIR NET Result 2023 Out, Link to Download Score Card and Result
I write content to help people prepare for banking exams because I have experience as an aspirant myself. My goal is to provide accurate and easy-to-understand information for candidates. I cover various topics such as exam patterns, syllabus, study techniques, and time management to support those preparing for the exams. As a former aspirant turned content writer, I want to make the information accessible and helpful for others so that they can do well in their banking and government exams and achieve their goals.