The Karnataka State Police Board conducts the Karnataka PSI examination for recruiting personnel for the post of Sub Inspector Karnataka Police. There are three parts to the exam: a written test, a physical test, and an endurance test. All three stages must be cleared before a candidate can be selected for Karnataka PSI. With the help of a proper strategy, it is easier to crack this exam. In this blog, we will provide you with the Karnataka PSI prelims exam Strategy, which will help you analyze how you can attempt the exam and what your preparation strategy should be.
Karnataka PSI Exam Pattern-Prelims:
The KSP SI Exam Pattern consists of three stages which are namely the Written-test, Physical Standard Test, and the Endurance Test. The candidate should clear all the rounds for final selection.
It consists of two papers :
1. Descriptive Examination
2. Objective-Type Examination
The pattern for the Paper – I – Descriptive type exam has been given below in the following table-
|Subject Name||Total Marks|
|Writing an essay of 600 Words||20|
|Translation from Kannada to English and vice versa||20|
The total time duration of the exam is 1 hour 30 minutes.
The pattern for Paper-II Objective Type Exam has been given below in the following table-
|Subject Name||Total Marks||Total Time Allowed|
|Mental Ability and Current Affairs||150 marks||1 hour 30 minutes|
After clearing the above two papers the candidate will give the physical standard test and the endurance test. After passing all three rounds the candidate will clear the Karnataka PSI Exam.
Karnataka PSI Exam preparation Strategy 2021 – Section-wise Approach:
Let us dive deep into each subject separately for the better preparation of Karnataka PSI Exam Prelims 2021.
Writing an essay of 600 Words: Prelims Exam Strategy
- Update your notes with the latest data. It will help you to keep updated with the facts and and while updating the notes, you can revise the data again. It is a win-win situation.
- Essay requires a lot of practice. So practice solving as many previous year question papers as you can. It will help you not only in writing good answers but also in managing time in the exam hall.
- While practising the essay writing for the exam, make sure to assess the weak areas of yours, where you need to improve.
- Practice writing at least 4-5 essays before appearing in the exam.
- Prepare some essays on the commonly asked topics.
- Do not use fancy language, make your point of view clear to the examiner.
- Make sure your writing is legible to the reader, as well as take proper care of the grammar portion.
Precis writing: Prelims Exam Strategy
- Read the comprehension carefully, Note down the important points, and Make a rough draft of the precis.
- Make use of simple and precise language, as much as possible
- Draft the final precis once all the points have been included
- Do not write a lengthy precis. In most cases, the number of words must be almost one-third of the word count of the passage or comprehension.
- Make sure that the precis you write does not have too complex a vocabulary or is too complicated to understand.
- While reading the passage, make a note of the important points and ensure that no point is skipped.
- The important terms with respect to the passage must be included in the precis as well.
- The precis needs to have a title. So, the candidates must ensure that the title is in sync with the comprehension.
Translation from Kannada to English and vice versa: Prelims Exam Strategy
- Start practicing translation on a daily basis. That way it will be easier for you to translate the text easily.
Mental Ability: Prelims Exam Strategy
- Use Venn Diagrams for solving the questions of Syllogism.
- Blood Relation questions can be easily solved by applying real-life relations to the questions.
- Make it a point to practice puzzles daily. With practice you will gain expertise over this topic.
- The input-output questions seem to be lengthy but once you decode the pattern, you can easily arrive at the solution by proceeding in a stepwise manner.
- Study all the basics and gain knowledge about the methods of solving various kinds of questions.
- Practice about 150–200 questions from each chapter.
- Try to mark out the incorrect options.
Current Affairs: Prelims Exam Strategy
- The questions asked in the General Knowledge section will be one-liner fact based questions.
- A number of questions from the General Science section also asks. so candidates can focus more on studying General Science.
- Attempt previous year questions, as many times the questions are repeated.
- Attempt Questions that you are fully sure of.
- As many fact based questions are asked, you can prepare them from Lucent.
- For general awareness questions, you need to prepare for the last 6 month current affairs.
- For current affairs questions you can refer to any standard magazines where last 6 month current affairs are covered in one book.
Karnataka PSI Exam: General Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks for Karnataka PSI exam preparation.
- Make Time Table- Many students apply for any exam but then do not study systematically. For systematic study you need a proper time table. So first of all prepare a time table covering all the topics asked in the exam.
- Read good books: There are plenty of books available in the market, but reading all of them will be of no use. Refer to the standard books only. If you have notes from your coaching institute then refer to them for your preparation.
- Read Newspaper: For current affairs section in general Knowledge, newspapers will be very helpful.
- Revision is the key: One thing that sets toppers apart is the habit of revision. For this exam, revision is the key, you have to remember whatever you are reading.
- Mock Tests for Prelims: Join a mock test series for better understanding of the actual exam level, test series can immensely help you in acing this exam.
- Previous Year Question Papers: Go through the previous year question papers, It will help you to get a better idea of the level of exam and the kind of questions asked.
- Keep a check on time: While attempting the mock test, make sure to attempt it in the prescribed time slot.
- Physical Test Prep: make sure to prepare for the PET in advance. Many candidates start preparing for PET, once prelims results are declared. Do NOT repeat this. Start preparing for the physical exam once the prelims is over.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
A candidate has to clear three stages namely the Written Test, Physical Standard Test, and the Endurance Test for being available for selection as Karnataka PSI.
There are 4 subjects in the Karnataka PSI Exam Pattern namely Mental Ability, Current Affairs, General English, and Kannada Language.
The Mental Ability and the Current Affairs are the most important of all the subjects in the Karnataka PSI Exam Pattern. This is because they cover 150 marks out of 200.
The total number of vacancies that need to be filled for the post of Karnataka PSI is 402.
I have been writing blog content for different exams for more than 3 years now. Being an aspirant myself and having closely worked with students and mentors, I know what kind of content an aspirant is looking for. Apart from writing content, I like watching movies.