You might be wondering if its possible and if yes, then How to clear SSC CGL in the very first attempt. This is very much doable. With the right degree of determination, effort, and of course the right strategy, you can land your coveted job right away. Here a few guidelines that will help you. The SSC CGL 2022-23 Exam notification is out and without wasting any time you should get started with your preparations. For starting the studies, be it any examination, one needs to have a clear understanding of the syllabus, books & resources to refer to, a daily study plan, and a personalized preparation strategy so that the exam is cracked in the very first attempt.
Table of Contents
- SSC CGL Exam Pattern For Tier 1
- How to Score 185+ in SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam? – Know Here
- How to Clear SSC CGL 2022 In the First Attempt
- SSC CGL 2022 – 23 Practice Batch – Bilingual
- How to Clear SSC CGL – FAQs
SSC CGL Exam Pattern For Tier 1
Pattern of SSC CGL Tier – 1 is as follows :
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||25||50|
Total Duration is 60 minutes
Note: In this paper, there is a negative marking of 0.50 for every wrong answer. The questions will be set both in English & Hindi except for English Comprehension in Tier-I.
From 2022, SSC CGL Tier – 1 is a qualifying exam but you still need to clear the high cut off to be able to appear for Tier – 2.
How to Score 185+ in SSC CGL Tier 1 Exam? – Know Here
Tier 1 Score is extremely important as the marks that you score in each of the Tiers of SSC CGL are added to arrive at the final scores. If you score considerably high marks in the Tier 1 Exam, then it will give you an edge over your competitors. Going forward if you score a little less in any of the papers of Tier-II exam, nothing to worry then, your Tier I marks would take you through.
Here we would discuss a detailed strategy for Tier 1 of SSC CGL Exam 2022 in this blog. We would take up each of the sections asked in Tier I and go about understanding how to approach those in this limited time remaining with us.
Topic wise strategy for English language is given below :
Grammar Based Questions
|SR no||Topics||Number of Questions|
|1||Error Spotting||2 -3 Qs|
|2||Sentence Improvement||2-3 Qs|
|3||Sentence Completion||2-3 Qs|
|4||Direct / Indirect Speech||1-2 Qs|
|5||Active / Passive Speech||1-2 Qs|
|6||Question Tag||1 Q|
To prepare for Grammar based questions,
- Follow Oliveboard’s Youtube channel
- Fololw Oliveboard’s SSC and Railways Youtube channel for SSC dedicated videos
- Follow standard Grammar book
- Go through NCERT Class 6 -12 textbooks
- Take regular mock tests and analyse them thoroughly
Want To Attempt A Free SSC CGL Mock Test? Take A Free Mock Test Here
Pointers to be kept in mind:
- Give special emphasis on the previous years’ SSC papers. Solve the previous years’ SSC papers multiple times.
- Mock Tests will play a key role in your preparation. Do take up regular mock tests, attempt them as if you are attempting the real exam. Understand what kind of questions are being asked in Mock Tests and watch if you can attempt those questions in the time given.
- Devise your attempt strategy as to how much time is to be given to each of the sections.
- After taking up the Mock Tests, sit and understand your performance. The mock test analysis will give you the correct idea about your performance.
Vocabulary Based Questions
- These questions are very easy to attempt as these would take the least time to attempt but only if you know them. You can also take intelligent guesses but more or less you ought to know the answers to gain marks.
- And the only way to do this is to read daily and prepare for it regularly.
English Comprehension Based
Read daily for at least 20 minutes everyday. This will improve your reading speed as well as comprehension abilities.
|Sr no||Topics||No of questions (Approx)|
|1||Reading Comprehension or Cloze Test||5 Qs|
|2||Sentence Rearrangement||2 Qs|
General Awareness (Static + Dynamic)
Topic-wise breakup of General Awareness is as follows :
|Topics||Number of Questions|
|History||3 – 4|
|Polity||2 – 5|
|Geography||2 – 4|
|Economics||1 – 3|
|Static Awareness||2 – 6|
|Biology||1 – 4|
|Chemistry||2 – 4|
|Physics||1 – 3|
|Current Affairs||7 – 8|
Current Affairs includes – Important events of past 6 months, Important Government Schemes, Books and Authors, Important Days, Sports News
To prepare for General Awareness :
- Follow standard GK Books – Lucent or Arihant
- Practice Previous Year Questions
- Read GA daily for atleast 1/2 – 1 hour
- Make short notes to help in revision
- Go through Oliveboard’s BOLT series for monthly updates
- Read newspapers like The Hindu and Indian Express. It will help you improve your English as well as help in Current Affairs.
Pointers to be kept in mind:
- Once you go through the books, read it very attentively. When you read it twice, try and make short notes of important points and facts. These will help you when you revise the same topics right before the exam.
Also check ,
The topic-wise weightage of all topics in Arithmetic is is given below :
|Percentage||1 – 2|
|Ratio and Proportion||2 – 3|
|SI and CI||1 – 2|
|Time and Work||2 – 3|
|Speed, Time and Distance||1 – 2|
|Ages and Averages||1 – 2|
|Simplification||1 – 2|
Topic-wise weightage of Advanced topics are given below :
|Geometry||2 – 3|
|Mensuration||3 – 4|
|Algebra||3 – 4|
|Trigonometry||2 – 4|
|Number System||1 – 2|
|DI||4 – 5|
From Data Interpretation, 4-5 questions are asked.
To study for Quantitative Aptitude,
- Follow Standard book
- Solve Previous year Questions
- Attempt Mock Tests and analyse them to know track your progress
- Memorize Important Formulae, learn tips and tricks to solve questions faster
General Intelligence & Reasoning
|Missing and Wrong Number Series||2 – 3|
|Dice Based Questions||1 – 2|
|Odd one Out||1 – 2|
|Cube||2 – 3|
|Venn Diagram||1 – 2|
|Coding and Decoding||4 – 5|
|Blood Relation||1 – 2|
|Mirror image and Paper Folding Image||2 – 3|
|Figures (Hidden, Counting and Complete)||4 – 5|
To prepare for reasoning,
- Follow Standard Books for concept clarity
- Solve Previous Year Questions
- Take up Mock tests
- Practice from Oliveboard’s Free Ebooks
This section doesn’t have any fixed formula or rules, hence continuous practice of various type of questions is the only way to clear this section.
How to Clear SSC CGL 2022 In the First Attempt
Important tips to help you clear SSC CGL in the first attempt include :
1. Read the syllabus meticulously
Once you read the syllabus for all the tiers, you will get a rough idea of how you can go about preparing for the exam. Check out the pattern and syllabus online frequently because minor changes are often introduced.
If you are familiar with the syllabus, you will not study in excess and go off the track. When you glance at the syllabus, you will be able to tell right away where your strengths and weaknesses lie. Make a note of them.
2. Make a study plan
We can’t emphasize enough on how important it is to formulate a SSC CGL Study Plan. Dedicate the bulk of your study-time to your weak points. Start your day with the daily schedule – be it for Maths, Reasoning, or English. And make sure you revise whatever you have learned when you end your study session. This way, the lessons, and information will be ingrained in your mind.
3. Opt for the right books
Unlike school, you will not be prescribed specific books. You will have to use your discretion regarding the best possible study books. There are a lot of publications that have come up with books on SSC CGL. Use the internet to research which books you need so that you don’t end up spending a fortune on the wrong books. You can also refer to this list of best books for SSC CGL.
You can also refer to the Free ebooks on Oliveboard website and app.
4. Practice everyday
Cracking SSC CGL requires arduous effort. So be prepared to study 6-8 hours every day without any disruption.
Do not skip any segment no matter how easy you find it.
5. Solve practice papers
Once you have covered everything on the syllabus, it will be time to put your skills and knowledge to test. There are plenty of previous-year question papers available online. Try solving them. This will give you an idea about the state of your preparation. Keep doing practice papers every day to build your efficiency.
6. Sign up for Mock Tests
Mock tests play an instrumental role in your success in competitive exams. This is because these tests are close to the level of the real exam. There will be a time just like the entrance exam and you will be under the same pressure. So this will give you a hint of what the real exam will be like. So you can figure out how you are performing under stress and how much time each segment is taking up. Based on the results and feedback, you can tweak your strategy and work at those segments that are troubling you.
7. Learn to cope with stress
Preparing for SSC CGL is no child’s play. You will be under a lot of stress and anxiety. But they are not conducive to smart study. Anxiety can make you freeze on the day of the exam. So you have to manage stress. Here are a few tips that will help-
- Find a hobby and let it take your mind off the worries and anxiety
- Practise meditation and yoga
- Work-out every day
- Eat healthily
8. Revise rigorously
Plan your study in a way that you complete the entire syllabus at least 3 months before the exam. In those three months leading up to the exam, revise and practice again and again.
If you are wondering how to clear SSC CGL with your very first try, you should stick to these techniques.
This was all from us in this blog. If you follow the topics, resources, and strategy given in here, we are sure that you would also be able to score 185+ marks out of 200 in SSC CGL 2022 Tier 1 Exam. Do read the tips given below to successfully clear the exam in your very first attempt.
SSC CGL 2022 – 23 Practice Batch – Bilingual
|Number of Live Classes||220+ Classes (Live classes & Video sessions) for Complete Comprehensive Learning & Concept Building|
|Question Covered||21,500+ practice questions with solutions and proper explanations in the form of Topic tests, Sectional Tests, GK Tests, and Mock Tests|
|Number of Full-Length Mock Tests||40 Tier – 1 Tests|
|GK Tests||120 Tests|
|Sectional Tests||60 Tests|
|Topic wise Tests||53 Tests|
|Medium of Instruction||Bilingual|
|PDF Notes||Yes, will be provided after Class|
|Other Highlights||– Practice Questions of all topics are provided to increase the speed and accuracy|
– Special Score Booster tricks for the Prelims Exam
– Complete Coverage of History, Polity, Geography, Static, Economics, Science, In-depth coverage of CA
– Class notes in PDF format for easy learning and quick revision
SSC CGL 2022 – 23 Mock Test Series
Oliveboard, the Online Learning Portal, provides SSC CGL Mock Test Series to help the candidates clear the exam in one go. SSC CGL Online Mock Tests will help you prepare for the actual exam because as the interface and time limit is similar to the actual exam. These Mock tests will also give you an idea on which areas you are lacking and which topics you are good at.
You can Register to Oliveboard to attempt the First Free Mock Test and check the level of your exam preparation and your National Standing. Analyse your Performance with Oliveboard’s Analytics feature and get to know your Weak Areas. Get Oliveboard’s Expert Guidance to improve your score in subsequent Tests. Oliveboard’s SSC CGL Mock Test series contains :
- 40 Tier – 1 Tests
- 50 Tier – 2 Tests
- 15 Tier – 1 Past Year Papers
- 53 Topic Tests
- 60 Topic Tests
- GK Tests
- Vocab Flash Cards
Note: Get New Pattern SSC CGL Mock Tests from Oliveboard. Tests can be taken on Mobile App or PC.
How to Clear SSC CGL – FAQs
On an average last 6 months current affairs is the most important. Read selected important events for a minimum of 1 year.
To study for Quantitative Aptitude,
Follow Standard book
Solve Previous year Questions
Attempt Mock Tests and analyse them to know track your progress
Memorize Important Formulae, learn tips and tricks to solve questions faster
Reasoning section doesn’t have any fixed formula or rules, hence continuous practice of various type of questions is the only way to clear this section.
You can find important books for SSC CGL here
I have been creating exam related content for 3 years now. Having appeared for UPSC, SSC, Railway and Banking Exams myself, I understand and create relevant content, important from exams point of view. I am currently creating content for SSC, Railway, J&K and Law entrance exams. During my free time, I love bingewatching shows or read novels.