Major Straits of the World: Static GK is an integral part of the general awareness section. Questions related to the world’s major straits are common in the general awareness section of Government exams like SSC CGL, SSC CPO, RRB ALP, RRB Group D, UPSC, and more. In competitive exams, as little as 1 mark can make a lot of difference. For your assistance, we bring to you complete study notes on Major Straits of the World. The following blog list down all you need to know about: the Major Straits of the World.
Table of Contents
Major Straits In The World
Static GK consists of many different types of facts and information. The focus of this blog will be geographical formations, namely, straits. You will learn what a strait is, how it’s formed, it’s importance and the major straits of the world. We have provided this information in an easy-to-learn way which you can also revise easily. We will also provide an e-book for the same for the ease of your learning.
What is a strait?
A strait is a narrow body of water that connects two larger bodies of water.
Strait of Hormuz
How does it form?
- It can be formed by a fracture in an isthmus, a narrow body of land that connects two bodies of water.
- It can also be formed by a body of water overflowing land that has subsided or has been eroded.
- If fractures in an isthmus are created by human activity, the straits are usually called canals. The Suez canal is one such canal. This was constructed in 1869 as a waterway between the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea.
Importance of straits
Straits have great strategic importance. Whoever controls a strait is likely to control the sea and shipping routes of the entire region. There are many narrow straits that work as major gateways for trade.
These narrow water bodies sometimes become a bone of contention between countries.
List of Major straits in the world:
|1||Malacca Strait||The Andaman Sea & South China Sea||Indonesia –Malaysia|
|2||Sunda Strait||Java Sea & Indian Ocean||Indonesia|
|3||Palk Strait||Palk Bay & Bay of Bengal||India-Sri Lanka|
|4||Yucatan Strait||Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea||Mexico-Cuba|
|5||Messina Strait||Mediterranean Sea||Italy-Sicily|
|6||Otranto Strait||Adriatic Sea & Ionian Sea||Italy-Albania|
|7||Bab-el-Mandeb Strait||Red Sea & Gulf of Aden||Yemen-Djibouti|
|8||Cook Strait||South Pacific Ocean||New Zealand (North& South Islands)|
|9||Mozambique Strait||Indian Ocean||Mozambique-Malagasy|
|10||North Channel||Irish Sea & Atlantic Ocean||Ireland-England|
|11||Taurus Strait||Arafura Sea & Gulf of Papua||Papua New Guinea- Australia|
|12||Bering Strait||Bering Sea & Chukchi Sea||Alaska-Russia|
|13||Bass Strait||Tasman Sea & South Sea||Australia|
|14||Bonne-Fasio Strait||Mediterranean Sea||Corsica-Sardinia|
|15||Bosphorus Strait||Black Sea and Marmara Sea||Turkey|
|16||Denmark Strait||North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean||Greenland-Iceland|
|17||Dover strait||English Channel & North Sea||England-France|
|18||Florida Strait||Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean||USA-Cuba|
|19||Hormuz Strait||Gulf of Persia & Gulf of Oman||Oman-Iran|
|20||Hudson strait||Gulf of Hudson & Atlantic Ocean||Canada|
|21||Magellan strait||Pacific and South Atlantic Ocean||Chile|
|22||Gibraltar Strait||Mediterranean Sea & Atlantic Ocean||Spain-Morocco|
|23||Foveaux Strait||South Pacific Ocean||New Zealand (South Island- Stewart Island)|
|24||Tatar Strait||Japan Sea & Okhotsk Sea||Russia (East Russia-Sakhalin Islands)|
|25||Formosa Strait||South China Sea & East China Sea||China-Taiwan|
Here’s a Sample Question:
Ques 1: The Strait of Malacca connects which to important water bodies?
- The Andaman Sea and South China Sea
- Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea
- North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean
- Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea
Answer: The correct answer is Andaman Sea and South China Sea
Major Straits of the World: Conclusion
That is all for straits and the major straits of the world. You can find the e-book format of this blog in the above link. Register now for more resources and GK.
You can download 200+ ebooks important for SSC, Banking, Railway, Insurance, and other government exams here.
Oliveboard Bolt series E-books:
- Oliveboard Bolt – General Awareness
- Bolt – Monthly Current Affairs PDF
- Banking Bolt – Free E-book for Banking Awareness
- Economy Bolt – Free E-book for Economy
- JAIIB 2023 Exam Registration Dates Out – Know Here
- Success Story of Anantha Giri Padmanabhan | Cleared NABARD Grade A 2022
- Best Books for JAIIB 2023 [UPDATED]: Preparation Resource
- JAIIB Study Materials – Free JAIIB Mock Test And Notes
- Important Tribes of India for SSC CGL – Types and Names Check Here
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests, and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
Dikshant (DJ) is an engineer turned banker. He has cleared many competitive exams before his current placement. Being an officer in the bank, DJ is super busy but makes sure that he always finds time for writing informative & exam-oriented content to help students in cracking competitive exams such as SBI, IBPS, SSC, JAIIB/ CAIIB and many more.