Let us move ahead in this new year by learning something new daily. What would be better than learning a few new English words daily which will not only enhance our English Language Vocabulary but also would raise our confidence levels while having day-to-day conversations in the English Language? We will be coming up with this daily article on Oliveboard giving you a list of English Vocabulary Words taken from The Hindu Editorial, with their correct meanings, synonyms, antonyms and correct usage. This blog-post will aid you immensely in your competitive exams preparation if you are consistent in reading this article daily. So, read along the Daily Vocabulary Words 16 January 2020.
- The Hindu – Daily Vocabulary Words 16 January 2020
- Oliveboard Edge 2020 – Online Exam Preparation
The Hindu – Daily Vocabulary Words 16 January 2020
|Meanings & Synonyms||Antonyms||
|Astronomical||Extremely large amount.
Huge, Enormous, Very Great, Very Big, Prodigious, Tremendous, Monumental, Mammoth, Colossal, Vast, Gigantic, Massive, Epic, Monstrous, Terrific, Titanic, Towering, King-sized
|Bantam, Bitty, Diminutive, Infinitesimal, Lilliputian, Little bitty, Micro
|The cost of the office building was astronomical.|
|Authoritative||Commanding and self-confident.
Likely to be respected and obeyed.
Self-assured, Assured, Self-confident, Confident
|Timid, Diffident||His manner is polite but authoritative.|
|Detriment||A cause of harm or damage.
Harm, Damage, Injury, Hurt, Impairment, Loss, Prejudice, Disadvantage, Disservice, Ill, Wrong, Mischief, Disbenefit
|Beneficial||Are you sure that I can follow this diet without detriment to my health?|
|Dissenting||A strong difference of opinion on a particular subject, especially about an official suggestion or plan or a popular belief.
Differing, Disagreeing, Non-concurring
|Assent, Agree, Accept||When the time came to approve the proposal, there were one or two voices of dissent.|
|Emanate||To come out from a source.
Cast, Discharge, Emit, Evolve, Exhale, Expel, Expire
|Terminate, Culminate, End, Issue, Arrive, Eventuate||Good smells emanated from the kitchen.|
|Inconsequential||Not important or significant.
Insignificant, Unimportant, Inconsequential, Irrelevant
|Big, Consequential, Eventful, Important, Major, Material, Meaningful||That’s an inconsequential problem compared to the other issues.|
|Regressive||Returning to a former or less developed state;
Characterized by regression.
|Liberal, Progressive, Radical
|The movement will defeat the autocratic and regressive regime.|
Lucrative, well paid, financially rewarding, Financially worthwhile, Moneymaking
|Unprofitable||Charity work is not very remunerative.|
|Convalescing, Rallying, Rebounding, Recovering, Recuperating, Gaining||He said he cut taxes by $9 billion as mayor to revitalize the city’s sagging economy.|
|Stagflation||Persistent high inflation combined with high unemployment and stagnant demand in a country’s economy.||Growth, Boom, Upturn, Rise
|The oil shock helped tip the US into stagflation with prices rising 13% a year.|
We hope that you find the blog “Daily Vocabulary Words 16 January 2020“ and its contents beneficial. Stay-tuned to Oliveboard for more such articles.
- NABARD Bank Recruitment 2020 – Grade A Officer Notification Released
- EPFO Enforcement Officer Recruitment 2020
- SSC CHSL Vacancies 2019 (Tentative): Released
- SBI Clerk Apply Online 2020 – 8000 Vacancies – Application Link Activated – Apply Now
- SBI PO Online Course 2020 – Join for Your Online Exam Preparation | Starts 13th Jan 2020
- RBI Assistant Apply Online 2019 – Check Now @ rbi.org.in
- RBI Assistant Online Course: Join The Course At Oliveboard Edge Now
Oliveboard Edge 2020 – Online Exam Preparation
Unlimited Access: Any Course, Any Time
1. Now don’t wait for any exam notification to come. Start preparing for it whenever you want. The earlier you start, the better it would be. Short term courses or the long term courses, choose what you need. Once you subscribe to Edge 2020, you’ll get access to all the courses* available at the platform. Choose any course, any time, whenever you like. Just Do it Your Way!
Current Courses Running on Oliveboard EDGE:
1. IBPS PO Interview Batch
An interview special series for the upcoming IBPS PO interviews. Everything you need to know to successfully showcase yourself as the perfect candidate for the job. Includes pointers on Preparation, Expected conversation topics, Dress code and Body Language in the interview through a series of sessions, a sample interview and doubt resolution by SME.
2. SBI Clerk Cracker 2020
Oliveboard brings you a unique course that will help you crack the exam by focusing on the most important topics.
3. RBI Assistant Cracker
RBI Assistant Cracker is a well-designed course covering all the sections for RBI Assistant Prelims and Mains exams. The course has been designed to help you master the tips, tricks and strategies to clear the prelims exam.
4. SSC CGL Brahmastra
This course will cover all topics under Quant, English, Reasoning and General Awareness. Extra sessions for Tier 2 will be conducted after the Tier 1 exam.
5. SBI PO 2020 Foundation Course
SBI PO Basic course is a part of SBI PO 2020 Complete course and will help you strengthen your basic concepts of each section purely from an exam standpoint.
- IBPS RRB PO Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- IBPS RRB Assistant Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- Guarantee your success in 2020 with SBI PO Titan Course + 30 Full length SBI PO mock tests
- Attempt a Free SEBI Grade A Mock Test here
- UPSC EPFO EO 2020 – Attempt Free Mock Tests now
- Prepare for Railway RRB NTPC Exam – Take a Free Mock Test