Let us move ahead in this new year by learning something new daily. What would be better than learning a few new English words daily which will not only enhance our English Language Vocabulary but also would raise our confidence levels while having day-to-day conversations in the English Language? We will be coming up with this daily article on Oliveboard giving you a list of English Vocabulary Words taken from The Hindu Editorial, with their correct meanings, synonyms, antonyms and correct usage. This blog-post will aid you immensely in your competitive exams preparation if you are consistent in reading this article daily. So, read along the Daily Vocabulary Words 14 January 2020.
The Hindu – Daily Vocabulary Words 14 January 2020
|Meanings & Synonyms||Antonyms||
|Accentuates||Make more noticeable or prominent.
Focus attention on, draw attention to, Point up, Underline
|Mask, Divert attention from
|The new policy only serves to accentuate the inadequacy of help for the homeless.|
|Combativeness||An inclination to fight or quarrel.
Aggression, Aggressiveness, Bellicosity, Belligerence
|The boxer was known more for his unbridled combativeness than for his technical skill.|
|Discriminatory||Making or showing an unfair or prejudicial distinction between different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.
Prejudicial, Biased, Prejudiced, Preferential, Unfair, Unjust, Invidious
|Business leaders must take a stand against discriminatory practices.|
|Disparage||Regard or represent as being of little worth.
Belittle, Denigrate, Deprecate, Depreciate, Downgrade, Play down
|Praise, Overrate, Complimentary
|He never missed an opportunity to disparage his competitors.|
|Extrapolation||The action of estimating or concluding something by assuming that existing trends will continue or a current method will remain applicable.
Conclude, Decide, Deduce, Derive, Gather, Infer
|Interpolate||You can’t really extrapolate a trend from such a small sample.|
|Inadequate||Lacking the quality or quantity required; insufficient for a purpose.
Insufficient, Not enough, Deficient, Poor, Scant, Scanty
|Adequate, Sufficient, Competent
|This work is woefully inadequate – you’ll have to do it again.|
|Latched on||To associate oneself intimately and often artfully.
Grab, Hog, Hold
|Free, Let go, Lose, Release, Surrender, Yield, Abandon, Forsake, Dispossess||As a prize is unwrapped, everyone’s eyes latch on to what’s inside to store that gift in their memory bank for later.|
|Misinterpret||Interpret something or someone wrongly.
Misunderstand, Misconceive, Misconstrue, Misapprehend, Mistake
|Clarify, Explain, Illuminate, Illustrate, Interpret
|My speech has been misinterpreted by the press.|
|Misleading||Giving the wrong idea or impression.
Deceptive, Confusing, Deceiving, Equivocal, Ambiguous
|Accurate, Correct, Frank, Honest, Right, Sincere, Straight, Truthful||This is a very crude and misleading way of describing ancient science.|
|Unfounded||Having no foundation or basis in fact.
Groundless, Baseless, Unsubstantiated, Unproven, Unsupported
|Well-founded, Proven, Substantiated
|Her fear that she had cancer was unfounded.|
|Zealous||Having or showing zeal.
Fervent, Ardent, Fervid, Fiery, Passionate, Impassioned
|The council was extremely zealous in the application of the regulations.|
We hope that you find the blog “Daily Vocabulary Words 14 January 2020“ and its contents beneficial. Stay-tuned to Oliveboard for more such articles.
- EPFO Enforcement Officer Recruitment 2020
- SSC CHSL Vacancies 2019 (Tentative): Released
- SSC CHSL Registration 2019 | Register before 10th January 2020
- SBI Clerk Apply Online 2020 – 8000 Vacancies – Application Link Activated – Apply Now
- NABARD Bank Recruitment 2020 – Grade A Officer Notification Released
- SBI PO Online Course 2020 – Join for Your Online Exam Preparation | Starts 13th Jan 2020
- RBI Assistant Apply Online 2019 – Check Now @ rbi.org.in
- RBI Assistant Online Course: Join The Course At Oliveboard Edge Now
Oliveboard Edge 2020 – Online Exam Preparation
Unlimited Access: Any Course, Any Time
1. Now don’t wait for any exam notification to come. Start preparing for it whenever you want.
2. The earlier you start, the better it would be.
3. Short term courses or the long term courses, choose what you need.
- IBPS RRB PO Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- IBPS RRB Assistant Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- Guarantee your success in 2020 with SBI PO Titan Course + 30 Full length SBI PO mock tests
- Attempt a Free SEBI Grade A Mock Test here
- UPSC EPFO EO 2020 – Attempt Free Mock Tests now
- Prepare for Railway RRB NTPC Exam – Take a Free Mock Test