Let us move ahead in this new year by learning something new daily. What would be better than learning a few new English words daily which will not only enhance our English Language Vocabulary but also would raise our confidence levels while having day-to-day conversations in the English Language? We will be coming up with this daily article on Oliveboard giving you a list of English Vocabulary Words taken from The Hindu Editorial, with their correct meanings, synonyms, antonyms and correct usage. This blog-post will aid you immensely in your competitive exams preparation if you are consistent in reading this article daily. So, read along the Daily Vocabulary Words 13 January 2020.
The Hindu – Daily Vocabulary Words 13 January 2020
Meanings & Synonyms
|Abdicate||Renounce one’s throne.
Resign, Retire, Quit, stand down, step down, Bow out
Fail to fulfil or undertake a responsibility or duty.
Disown, turn down, spurn, Reject, Renounce, Give up
|Be crowned, Accede to
|King Edward VIII abdicated the British throne in 1936.
She abdicated all responsibility for the project.
|Anticipate||Regard as probable; Expect or predict.
Foresee, Predict, think likely, Forecast, Prophesy
|Doubt, be amazed, be surprised, Be unready||We don’t anticipate any problems during the construction.|
|Caveat||A warning or proviso of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations.
Caution, Admonition, Monition, Red flag, Alarm bells
|Injudiciousness, Inattentiveness, Incaution||He agreed to the interview, with the caveat that he could approve the final article.|
Susceptible to the jurisdiction of a court
|Unknowable, Not knowable, Transcendent||In such circumstances, a claim may be cognizable under Article 3 which would fail under the Convention on Refugees.|
|Confrontation||A hostile or argumentative situation or meeting between opposing parties.
Conflict, Clash, Brush, Fight, Battle, Contest, Encounter
|Agreement, Calm, Peace
|Some couples seem to like confrontation, but Josh and I hardly ever argue.|
|Egregious||Outstandingly bad; Shocking, Appalling, Horrific, Horrifying, Horrible, Terrible||Marvellous||It was an egregious error for a statesman to show such ignorance.|
|Ominous||Giving the worrying impression that something bad is going to happen.
Threateningly Inauspicious., Menacing, Baleful, Forbidding, Sinister, Doomy
|Promising, Auspicious, Propitious
|There were ominous dark clouds gathering overhead.|
|Retaliation||The action of returning a military attack; Counterattack, Revenge, Vengeance, Reprisal, Retribution, Requital, Recrimination||Pardon, Condonation, Forgiveness, Remission||The demonstrators threw rocks at the police, who retaliated by firing blanks into the crowd.|
|Spike||A sharp increase in the magnitude or concentration of something.||Diminish, Decrease, Dwindle, Lower, Reduce, Weaken
|If price spikes continue, people will not be able to afford the new houses they want.|
|Tragic||Causing or characterized by extreme distress or sorrow.
Disastrous, Calamitous, Catastrophic, Cataclysmic, Devastating
|His friends were deeply shocked and saddened by the tragic news of his death.|
|Veered||Change direction suddenly.
|Straighten, keep to, Retain, Stay, Endure, Remain, Continue||All of a sudden, the car veered off the road.|
We hope that you find the blog “Daily Vocabulary Words 13 January 2020“ and its contents beneficial. Stay-tuned to Oliveboard for more such articles.
- EPFO Enforcement Officer Recruitment 2020
- SSC CHSL Vacancies 2019 (Tentative): Released
- SSC CHSL Registration 2019 | Register before 10th January 2020
- SBI Clerk Apply Online 2020 – 8000 Vacancies – Application Link Activated – Apply Now
- NABARD Bank Recruitment 2020 – Grade A Officer Notification Released
- SBI PO Online Course 2020 – Join for Your Online Exam Preparation | Starts 13th Jan 2020
- RBI Assistant Apply Online 2019 – Check Now @ rbi.org.in
- RBI Assistant Online Course: Join The Course At Oliveboard Edge Now
Oliveboard Edge 2020 – Online Exam Preparation
Unlimited Access: Any Course, Any Time
1. Now don’t wait for any exam notification to come. Start preparing for it whenever you want.
2. The earlier you start, the better it would be.
3. Short term courses or the long term courses, choose what you need.
Oliveboard Live Courses & Mock Test Series
- Prepare for RBI Assistant 2019 Exam with Mock Tests & Live Classes Here
- SSC CGL Brahamstra – Join Practice-based Online Tuition for SSC CGL 2019-20 Exam
- Attempt a Free IBPS Clerk Mains Mock Test here
- SSC CHSL 2019 – Attempt Free Mock Tests now
- Prepare for Railway RRB NTPC Exam – Take a Free Mock Test