The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a computer-based test for admission to a graduate management program. The test consists of three sections: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) and Quantitative Ability (QA). The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) started this exam and use the test for selecting students for their business administration programs (MBA or PGDM). The test is conducted every year by one of the IIMs based on a policy of rotation.
CAT 2022 Exam - Notification
CAT Notification 2022 is expected to be released in the month of August 2022. Last year the notification was released on 1st August 2021 and the Exam was conducted by IIM Ahmedabad. CAT 2022 will be conducted by IIMs as a prerequisite for admission to various management programmes of IIMs. Here, we will take you through all the important aspects of the Exam like Important Dates, Eligibility Criteria, Application form, Exam Pattern, etc.
CAT 2022 Exam - Overview
|Name of the Exam||Common Admission Test|
|CAT 2022 conducting body||One of the IIMs|
|Mode of the CAT Registration 2022||Online|
|CAT Registration Fees||For General Category – Rs 2200|
For Reserved Category – Rs 1100
|Duration of the exam||2 Hours (120 Minutes)|
|Medium of CAT Exam 2022||CBT mode|
Take a Free Mock Test Here
CAT 2022 – Important Dates
CAT 2022 exam tentative dates are expected as follows. CAT 2021 was held on the last Sunday of November 2021 i.e. November 28, 2021. Below are common admission test dates to allow all candidates to keep track of all major CAT 2022 exam events.
|CAT 2022 notification announcement release date||1 August 2022|
|CAT 2022 Form start date||4 August 2022|
|Last Date to submit the CAT Application form||21st September 2022|
|Availability of Admit Card||26 October 2022|
|CAT Exam Date||November 27, 2022|
|Release of Final Answer key of CAT 2022||Second Week of December 2022|
|CAT Result 2022||Second Week of January 2023|
|CAT 2022 Selection Process||April – June 2023|
CAT Mock Test
CAT Mock Test series has the following features:
- 10 Mock Tests (Only In English) in the latest pattern with detailed solutions
- AI-Based Detailed Performance Analysis
- Know your Strong & Weak Areas
- Prepared By Subject-Matter Experts.
- Detailed Notes covering all topics.
CAT 2022 Notification - Download Here
The CAT 2022 notification is not out. You can have a look at the CAT 2021 notification given below.
Download CAT 2021 Notification PDF
CAT 2022 Online Registration
The registration guide for CAT 2022 exam is not out as the notification is not released yet. You can check the CAT 2021 notification guide by clicking on the link below.
REGISTRATION FOR CAT – GUIDE
CAT Exam Guidelines 2022
As per the latest notification released, IIMs are going to conduct the exam in the exam pattern for CAT 2020 entrance examination. The revised duration of the test will be 120 minutes. There will be three sections:
Section I: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
Section II: Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
Section III: Quantitative Ability
- Candidates will be allotted exactly 40 minutes for answering questions in each section and they will not be allowed to switch from one section to another while answering questions in a section.
- Some questions in each section may not be of multiple-choice type. Instead, direct answers will have to be typed on the screen. Also, they will allow the use of a basic on-screen calculator for computation.
Tutorials to understand the format of the test is available on the CAT website from October 2020. Candidates are advised to work on the tutorials available on the CAT website well in advance.
The relevant sections of the CAT website will be updated later to reflect changes as per the above announcements and the candidates are advised to check it regularly for further details
Take a Free Mock Test Here
CAT 2022 Exam Pattern
The likely exam pattern for CAT 2022 is as follows
|Section ||Total Questions||MCQs||Non-MCQs||Maximum Marks|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)||24||19||5||72|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||20||15||5||60|
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)||22||14||8||66|
CAT Notification 2022 – Programmes Offered
A. Post Graduate Programmes in Management (PGP)
|IIM Ahmedabad||PGP, PGP-FABM, ePGP||www.iima.ac.in|
|IIM Amritsar||MBA, EMBA, MBA-Business Analytics, MBA-HRM||www.iimamritsar.ac.in|
|IIM Bangalore||PGP, PGPEM, PGPBA||www.iimb.ac.in|
|IIM Bodh Gaya||PGP||www.iimbg.ac.in|
|IIM Indore||PGP, PGP-HRM||www.iimidr.ac.in|
|IIM Kashipur||MBA, MBA (Analytics), MBA (WX)||www.iimkashipur.ac.in|
|IIM Kozhikode||PGP, PGP-BL, PGP-F, PGP-LSM||www.iimk.ac.in|
|IIM Lucknow||PGP, PGP-ABM, PGP-SM||www.iiml.ac.in|
|IIM Ranchi||PGP, PGP-HRM, PGP (Business Analytics)||www.iimranchi.ac.in|
|IIM Rohtak||PGP, EPGPX, EPGDSM||www.iimrohtak.ac.in|
|IIM Shillong||PGP, PGPEX, PGPWE||www.iimshillong.ac.in|
|IIM Sirmaur||MBA, MBA (T&HM)||www.iimsirmaur.ac.in|
|IIM Tiruchirappalli||PGPM, PGPM-HR, PGPBM||www.iimtrichy.ac.in|
|IIM Visakhapatnam||PGP, PGPEx, PGPDGM||www.iimv.ac.in|
B. Fellow Programmes in Management (FPM) [Doctoral]
|IIM Bodh Gaya||PhD (FPM)|
|IIM Kashipur||FPM, EFPM|
|IIM Kozhikode||PhD, PhD (PT)|
|IIM Raipur||FPM/ PhD, EFPM|
|IIM Ranchi||PhD, EPhD|
|IIM Rohtak||PhD, Part-Time FPM|
|IIM Sambalpur||PhD, E PhD|
|IIM Shillong||PhD, PhDWP|
|IIM Tiruchirappalli||FPM, E-FPM|
CAT Notification 2022 – Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate must hold a Bachelor's Degree, with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA [45% in case of candidates belonging to the Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Persons with Disability (PWD) categories], awarded by any University or educational institution as incorporated by an Act of Parliament or State legislature in India or declared to be deemed as a University under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
- The percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by the respective University/Institution. In the case of grades/CGPA, the conversion to percentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/Institution. If any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate's CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA and multiplying the result with 100.
- Candidates appearing for the final year of the Bachelor's degree/equivalent qualification examination and those who have completed degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply. However, it may be noted that such candidates, if selected, will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if they submit a certificate from the Principal/Registrar of their University/Institution (issued on or before the date as stipulated by the respective IIM) stating that they have completed all the requirements for obtaining the Bachelor's degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate. IIMs may verify eligibility at various stages of the selection process.
Take a Free Mock Test Here
CAT 2022 Application Fees
Payment of CAT Registration Fee
- ₹1100 for SC, ST and PwD candidates.
- ₹2200 for all other candidates.
Please note that a candidate needs to pay the registration fee only once, irrespective of the number of institutes he/she is applying for. SC, ST and PwD candidates must upload a copy of their SC/ST/PwD certificates at the time of registration. Fees once paid cannot be refunded under any circumstances.
CAT 2022 Test Centres
CAT will be conducted in centres spread across 156 test cities. Test cities will be mentioned on the CAT website and the name of the test centre will be indicated in the Admit Card. IIMs reserve the right to change or cancel any test centre/city and/or change the test time and date at their discretion.
CAT 2022 Booklist
Learning resources like books are a great way to stay involved while preparing for CAT. Here are the CAT 2022 Booklist
CAT Books For Quantitative Ability:
How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT by Arun Sharma
This book is very popular among CAT aspirants and really easy and simple to understand. The USP of this book is that it has 3 levels of difficulty for each topic and builds your concepts gradually.
Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Verma
Students who wish to attend IIMs should read this comprehensive book. Due to its lucid and tailor-made content that revolves around CAT, it is a one-stop book for people with as well as without mathematical backgrounds.
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Nishit Sinha
The topics covered in this book by Pearson are crucial to a solid basic and advanced understanding of the material. The book has the unique feature of being written by a CAT trainer and coach from IIM Lucknow.
Verbal Ability Books For CAT:
How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay
Reading this book is a great way to improve your verbal and reading comprehension skills. It covers three major topics: verbal ability, reading comprehension, and verbal reasoning. The practice papers and mock exams that it offers will be enough for self-assessment.
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension For The CAT by Nishit Sinha
In addition to an exhaustive resource for verbal ability, this book by Pearson also provides a range of other useful information. It includes numerous tests in addition to integral problem-solving techniques and approaches. This is one of the best books you can find on the topic.
High School Grammar and Composition by Wren and Martin
If you want to improve your grammar skills, this book is a holy book. For those who are unable to grasp verbal abilities, this book is a must-have. It helps to understand and conceptualize different aspects of grammar.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning Books For CAT:
A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by R.S. Agarwal.
There is a CAT book written by R.S. Agarwal is best to start with the most basic reasoning task, since it's quite easy to understand. Logic, statements, inferences and arguments, assumptions, conclusions, action plans, logical puzzles, etc., are grouped together in different sections.
How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT book by Arun Sharma.
There are many topics covered in this book by Tata McGraw Hill on Logical Reasoning for CATs and other entrance exams. There are solved examples for each topic, followed by a set of challenging problems for practice, allowing an individual to prepare adequately for this section.
How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT book by Arun Sharma.
It discusses all aspects of Interpretation and Sufficiency of Data. This book emphasizes the importance of developing our calculations, so we can gain an advantage with DI. Furthermore, this book contains past test papers, sample test papers, and questions from previous years.
Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT by Nishit Sinha.
There are six sections in this book, and each subject is explained with an example, case study, and exercises. It can also be used for other exams.
Data Interpretation by Nishit Sinha.
This book provides ample practice, and it sharpens the skills of interpreting data for CAT exams and other MBA entrance exams. Additionally, it can be helpful for other competitive exams such as NMAT, GMAT, SNAP, XAT, CMAT, etc.
In addition, previous years' CAT papers can prove to be useful in preparing for the CAT as you become familiar with the questions asked in the CAT, giving you an edge. They can be used as mock examinations, and their analysis can give you a lot of insights into your preparation.