Table of Contents
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Selection Criteria For Lectureship
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Selection Criteria 2023 For JRF
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Conclusion
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Frequently Asked Questions
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023: UGC NET Examination takes place twice a year. The National Testing Agency is the conducting body. The UGC NET notification and application forms are released by the commission along with the eligibility criteria. A thorough reading of the detailed UGC NET Eligibility criteria is a must for candidates before applying. The exam will take place in various subjects at selected exam centers spread across the country.
The candidates have to specify their choice between Assistant Professor Junior Research Fellowship, or both. This is done while filling out the application. Sincere preparation and hard work are significant for the appearing candidates.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023
UGC NET is a qualifying exam for Post Graduate students. Through this they can become Assistant Professors in colleges, or apply for Research Fellowships. The educational and age criteria for the same is as follows.
A Master’s degree holder or equivalent from recognized universities in Electronic Science, Computer Science and Applications, Social Science and Humanities (including languages), etc. with at least 55 % marks are eligible for the exam.
- Candidates must secure 50 % marks for certain categories. These include Persons with Disability, Transgender, Non-Creamy Layer of Other Backward Classes, Scheduled Caste, and Scheduled Tribe.
- Candidates waiting for their results or pursuing their Master’s degree or whose qualifying examinations have been delayed can apply for the test.
- 55 % marks in Master’s degree is a must for candidates to be considered for Junior Research Fellowship and 50 % marks for reserved category and they will be admitted provisionally.
- Completion of a master’s degree within two years from the date of the UGC NET 2023 results with the necessary percentage of marks has to be fulfilled, and the candidate will be disqualified if failed.
- A relaxation of 5 % in aggregate marks from 55 % to 50 % who completed the Master’s level examination before September 19, 1991, irrespective of the date of declaration of result is applicable for Ph.D. degree candidates.
- A transgender candidate has the same provision of relaxation in fee, age, and qualifying criteria for NET as available for SC/ST/PwD candidates. The transgender category with subject-wise cutoffs is lowest among those for ST/SC/PwD/OBC-NCL categories in the respective subject.
- It is advisable for candidates to opt similar NET subject for Paper 2 as their specialization is in post-graduation. The candidate can appear in a related subject if the post-graduation subject is not a part of 81 NET subjects.
- A post-graduate diploma/certificate holder who completed under an Indian university/Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate holder who completed under a foreign university/institute should in their own interest, hold a degree similar to a Master’s degree of recognized Indian university from Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Age Limit
The following is the age limit and relaxation for Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professorship in UGC NET 2023 –
- Eligibility for Junior Research Fellowship – Candidates should not be more than 30 years as on the 1st day of the month in which the examination is concluded i.e. 01.06.2023.
- OBC-NC, SC, ST, PwD categories, transgenders and women applicants – 5 years relaxation
- Candidates with a research experience also get age relaxation. This period is similar to the years/period spent on research in the respective subject or post-graduation degree.
- 5 years is the limit to researchers and the relaxation will be provided if the candidate has a certificate from the appropriate authority.
- LLM degree candidates of 3 years can avail upper age relaxation.
- Benefits for a candidate who served in Armed Forces is in the form of relaxation of up to 5 years subject to the length of service in the armed forces up to 01.06.2023.
- Age relaxation cannot exceed 5 years on the above grounds under any circumstances.
- Assistant Professor – A candidate can apply for Assistant Professor and comprises no upper age limit.
UGC NET Exemptions For Assistant Professor
The minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professorship is NET/SET/SLET in Indian universities and colleges. UGC regulations and amendments in the Gazette of India govern some exemptions from NET/State Eligibility Test/SLET from time to time.
- Candidates who passed the examination of UGC/CSIR/Junior Research Fellowship conducted in 1989 will be exempted from appearing in NET.
- Candidates who were successful in SET accredited by UGC for Assistant Professor held before June 1, 2002, are exempted to appear in NET and can apply for the same anywhere in India.
- SET held after June 1, 2003, and candidates successful in it can apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in colleges and universities in respective states.
- The reservation of seats for Scheduled Castes candidates is 15 %.
- The reservation of seats for Scheduled Tribes candidates is 7.5 %.
- The reservation of seats for Other Backward Classes Non-Creamy Layer candidates is 27 %.
- The reservation of seats for General – Economically Weaker Sections candidates is 10%.
- The reservation of seats for Persons with Disability with 40 % or more disability is 4 % in the above categories.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Selection Criteria For Lectureship
Only 6 percent of candidates who appear will qualify for the examination. They will become eligible for the post of Assistant Professor. Qualified candidates will be subject to a category-wise reservation policy.
The following is the basis for the subject-wise merit list. Also for UGC NET qualifying criteria for Lectureship as per the category.
|Number. of Qualified Candidates (General Category) for Lectureship in English Subject||The number of candidates (General category) who secure a minimum of 40 percent aggregate marks in papers 1 &and paper 2 taken for ‘English’ multiplied by the total number of slots available for the General category, divided by the total number of candidates (General category) overall subjects who secure at least 40 percent aggregate marks in both papers combined.|
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Selection Criteria 2023 For JRF
For Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) only 1 percent of the appeared candidates will be eligible for the certificate. The formula to select the qualified candidates for JRF is:
|Number. of Qualified Candidates (General Category) for Lectureship in English Subject||The number of candidates (General category) who opted JRF and have qualified for assistant professor in English subject multiplied by the total number of slots available for JRF (General category), divided by the total number of candidates (General category) over all subjects who opted for JRF and qualified for Assistant Professor.|
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Conclusion
This blog will be updated as and when UGC provides further updates for the exam. Until then candidates can prepare according to the syllabus and exam pattern provided and practice using the mock tests.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023 – Frequently Asked Questions
A1. No, negative marking is not applicable.
A2. The duration of the examination is 3 hours (180 minutes).
A3. No, the UGC NET application form can be submitted online on the official website of the examination only.
A4. No, the UGC NET application fee can be paid in online mode through credit card/ debit card/ net banking/ UPI only.
A5. Last date to apply for UGC NET 2023 will be announced.
A6. Visit the official UGC NET website – https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/ to download your admit card.
|UGC NET Application Form 2023||UGC NET Syllabus 2023||UGC NET Notification 2023|
|UGC NET Admit Card 2023||UGC NET Exam Date 2023||UGC NET Salary 2023|
- UGC NET Exam Date 2023 December Out, Know the Schedule
- UGC NET Notification for December 2023, Download PDF
- UGC NET Result 2023 Out for June Cycle, Direct Link to Check
- UGC NET Salary 2023, Check in Hand Salary, Job Profile and Allowances
- UGC NET Cut Off 2023, Check Previous Year Cut Offs
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023, Check Age Limit, Relaxation and Educational Qualification
DOWNLOAD THE OLIVEBOARD APP FOR ON-THE-GO EXAM PREPARATION
- Video Lessons, Textual Lessons & Notes
- Topic Tests covering all topics with detailed solutions
- Sectional Tests for QA, DI, EL, LR
- All India Mock Tests for performance analysis and all India percentile
- General Knowledge (GK) Tests
Free videos, free mock tests, and free GK tests to evaluate course content before signing up!
I write content to help people prepare for banking exams because I have experience as an aspirant myself. My goal is to provide accurate and easy-to-understand information for candidates. I cover various topics such as exam patterns, syllabus, study techniques, and time management to support those preparing for the exams. As a former aspirant turned content writer, I want to make the information accessible and helpful for others so that they can do well in their banking and government exams and achieve their goals.