UGC NET Notification
UGC NET Notification: National Testing Agency (NTA) every year conducts the University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) exam. UGC NET 2024 is being conducted as an Eligibility Test for the recruitment of Assistant Professors and Junior Research Fellowship posts. NTA has announced the UGC NET exam date 2024 for the June session. UGC NET 2024 exams will be held from 10th to 21st June 2024. To get the details of the UGC NET exams 2024 read the complete article.
UGC NET Notification – Overview
UGC NET Notification 2024 pdf will be released by National Testing Agency (NTA) soon on the official website at https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/login/. Check the below table for important details regarding the UGC NET 2024 Exam.
|Examination conducting Authority||National Testing Agency|
|Name of the Examination||UGC- NET|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Frequency of Examination||Twice a year|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree with minimum 55 percent marks|
|Age Limit||JRF- 30 Years or below Assistant Professor-No age limit|
|Official website||Click Here|
|Commencement of Registration process||TBA|
|Last date of submission||TBA|
|Announcement of city of exam center||TBA|
|Availability of Admit card||TBA|
|UGC NET Exam Date – June 2024||10th to 21st June 2024|
|Release of Answer Key||TBA|
|Announcement of Results||TBA|
UGC NET Notification – Important Dates
The UGC NET 2024 exam for June will be held from 10th to 21st June 2024. The other important dates will be provided by UGC through the official UGC NET Notification 2024 when it is released. The following table will be updated with the release of the UGC NET Notification 2024.
|Registration process starts||TBA|
|Last date of submission||TBA|
|Availability of Admit card||TBA|
|Exam Dates||6th to 22nd June 2024|
|Release of Answer Key||TBA|
|Announcement of Results||TBA|
UGC NET 2024 – Application Link
Candidates can apply for UGC NET 2024 through the link below. Candidates should also make sure to read the selection criteria, eligibility, and steps of the application process before applying for a smoother application process.
UGC NET Notification – Selection Criteria For Lectureship
Only 6 percent of candidates who appeared will qualify for the examination and become eligible for the post of Assistant Professor. A category-wise reservation policy will be applied for these qualified candidates.
The subject-wise merit list and UGC NET qualifying criteria for Lectureship as per category are prepared on the basis of the following:
|Number. of Qualified Candidates (General Category) for Lectureship in English Subject||The number of candidates (General category) who secure a minimum of 40 percent aggregate marks in papers 1 &and paper 2 taken for ‘English’ multiplied by the total number of slots available for the General category, divided by the total number of candidates (General category) overall subjects who secure at least 40 percent aggregate marks in both papers combined.|
UGC NET Notification – Selection Criteria 2024 For JRF
For Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) only 1 percent of the appeared candidates will be eligible for the certificate. The formula to select the qualified candidates for JRF is:
|Number. of Qualified Candidates (General Category) for Lectureship in English Subject||The number of candidates (General category) who opted JRF and have qualified for assistant professor in English subject multiplied by the total number of slots available for JRF (General category), divided by the total number of candidates (General category) over all subjects who opted for JRF and qualified for Assistant Professor.|
UGC NET Notification – Eligibility Criteria:
The various criteria of eligibility for UGC NET are given below :
Before applying for the UGC NET 2024 exam, interested candidates must read the UGC NET Notification 2024 pdf and ensure they satisfy the UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2024. If candidates fail to fulfill the eligibility criteria as mentioned in the UGC NET Notification 2024 pdf their application form will be rejected. The UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2024 in terms of age limit and education qualification are mentioned here.
- Candidates belonging to the non-creamy layer of other backward classes (OBC-NC), scheduled tribe (ST), scheduled caste (SC), persons with disability (PwD), and transgender categories must have a minimum of 50 per cent marks.
- Candidates who are pursuing their Master’s degree or are waiting for the result or whose qualifying examinations have been delayed too can apply for the examination. Such candidates will be admitted provisionally and will be considered for award of JRF or recruitment as Assistant Professor only when they will pass their Master’s Degree with at least 55 per cent marks (50 per cent marks for the reserved category).
- Such candidates will also have to complete their Master’s degree within two years from the date of the UGC NET Result with the required percentage of marks, failing which they will be treated as disqualified.
- Candidates with a PhD degree whose Master’s level examination was completed before 19th September 1991 will be eligible for a relaxation of 5 per cent in the aggregate marks.
- Transgender candidates will be provided with the same relaxation in fee, age, and qualifying criteria for NET (i.e. JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ ST/ PwD categories.
- The requiredsubject wise cut off marks for the transgenders will be the lowest among those for SC/ ST/ PwD/ OBC–NCL categories in the respective subject.
Age Limit And Upper Age Limit Relaxation
NET Age Criteria
UGC NET 2024 Age Limit and Relaxation for Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professorship are given below:
Junior Research Fellow (JRF) Eligibility:
- The age limit for JRF 2024 will be announced in the UGC NET Notification 2024.
- Candidates belonging to OBC-NC, SC, ST, PwD categories, transgenders, and women applicants are provided with an upper age limit relaxation of up to 5 years.
- Candidates with research experience will also be provided age relaxation equivalent to the years/ period spent on research in the respective subject or Post Graduation Degree.
- Relaxation to researchers can be of up to 5 years and will only be provided on production of a certificate from the appropriate authority.
- Candidates with L.L.M. Degree will be provided with an upper age relaxation of 3 years.
- Candidates who have served in the armed forces will be provided with the benefit of relaxation of up to 5 years subject to the length of service in the armed forces up to June 1, 2021.
- Total age relaxation on the above grounds shall not exceed five years under any circumstances.
- There is no upper age limit to apply for Assistant Professor.
NET/ SET/ SLET is the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment as an Assistant Professorship in Indian Universities and Colleges. There are certain exemptions from NET/ SET/ SLET which will be governed by UGC amendments and regulations notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
- Candidates who have passed UGC/ CSIR/ JRF exam before 1989 are exempted from appearing in the National Eligibility Test.
- Candidates who have passed the State Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for Assistant Professor held before 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in National Eligibility Test and are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor anywhere in India.
- Candidates qualified in SET held after 1st June 2003, are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities and colleges situated in their respective states.
The reservation policy applicable to the UGC NET examination is as per the rules and regulations of the Government of India. Accordingly, the seats are reserved in the central universities and institutes which are deemed to be universities. The reservation of seats is mentioned below:
|Category||Reservation of seats (In percentage)|
|Scheduled Castes (SC)||15|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||7.5|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non-Creamy Layer (NCL)||27|
|General-Economically Weaker Sections (General-EWS)||10|
|Persons with Disability (PwD) with 40 percent or more disability||4|
- Candidates are recommended to give the UGC NET examination in the subject of their post-graduation only
- If the post-graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects given by UGC, candidates may appear in a related subject as per the official recommendation
- Those holding a post-graduate diploma/ certificate from an Indian university or a degree/ diploma/ certificate from a foreign university must determine if their diploma/ degree/ certificate is equivalent to a master’s degree from a recognized Indian university.
- The equivalence must be determined by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi
UGC NET Notification – Documents Required for Applying
To avoid any inconvenience at the time of UGC NET registrations, candidates should keep the following documents ready beforehand.
- Board/ University certificate
- Ration card/ Passport number/ Aadhaar card number/ Voter ID or other Government ID
- Degree certificate
- Category certificate
- EWS (Economically Weaker Section )certificate
- PwD (Person with Disability) Certificate
- Scanned images of photo and signature in JPEG format (file size of the photo: 10 kb to 200 kb, file size of the signature: 4 kb to 30 kb)
- A valid E-mail ID
- mobile number
- Permanent & correspondence address with the pin code
- Four examination center cities in order of preference
- Code of NET subject for which the candidate wishes to take the examination
- Code of the post-graduation course.
UGC NET Notification – Steps To Fill Application Form
The Application form is available on the official website. Candidates can follow the below-given steps to fill their application forms for the UGC NET Exam.
Step 1: Fill UGC NET Registration Form
- Visit the official website.
- Click on the Fill UGC NET Application Form (available at the bottom of the home page)
- Click on New Registration
- Download the information brochure
- Click on “click here to proceed”
- The UGC NET registration form will be displayed on the screen.
Information to be provided in the registration form are.
- Name of the Candidate
- Father’s Name
- Mother’s Name
- Date of Birth
- Identification Number
Note: from December 2018 onwards, Aadhaar Card is not a mandatory document for UGC NET registrations. Candidates can provide any other valid Government ID number like- bank account number, passport number, etc.
- Complete Postal Address
- E-mail Id
- Mobile Number
Choosing a Password
- Security question
- Security answer
- Security pin
Once all details are filled in, click on the Submit button. The candidates must review the information given on the page and click on the Final Submit button to proceed with the process. Once it is submitted, an application number will be generated and displayed on the screen. Write down the application number and keep it for future use.
Step 2: Fill UGC NET Application Form
The candidates should click on the Complete Application Form and start entering the remaining details of the application form. The details to be filled in in the application form include:
|Details||Applied For||Education Details|
|Name, Gender, Nationality, PwD category option, Minority community option, Date of birth, Single girl child option, Category, Diabetic option, A subject name in the post-graduation exam||Post name (Assistant Professor or JRF), Four choices of the examination center (in order of priority), Subject opted for UGC NET||Post-graduation pass status, Post-graduation qualifying examination from (India or outside India), Post-graduation board/ university name, Post-graduation result mode, Post-graduation course/ stream name, Post-graduation qualifying examinations state, Post-graduation year of passing/ appearing|
|Research/ MPhil/ Ph. D/ Ex-Service Details||Doctorate Details||Security Pin|
|Research specialization, (if any), Whether MPhil passed or appeared, Whether an ex-serviceman? Whether you possess research experience in the subject of post-graduation, Whether PhD passed or /appearing||Whether already a doctorate student||Security Pin (as shown on the screen)|
The candidates should click on Submit after all the required details are filled in. After reviewing the details entered in the application form, the candidates must click on the Final Submit button.
Step 3: Upload Signature And Image
The candidates must upload their scanned photo and signature as per the specifications given below. The format of the scanned images and the signature should be JPEG.
|Size of the photographed image||More than 10 kb and less than 200 kb|
|Size of the signature image||More than 4 kb and less than 30 kb|
Step 4: Pay UGC NET Application Fee
Candidate should note that for general/ unreserved category students have to pay Rs. 1,000, for General-EWS (Economically Weaker Section is Rs. 500 and for third gender, it is Rs. 250. Candidates can pay UGC NET application fee through HDFC/SBI/ Syndicate/ ICICI/ Paytm payment gateway (debit card/ credit card/ net banking/ UPI).
|Category||UGC NET Application Fee|
|General-EWS (Economically Weaker Section||Rs.500/-|
|OBC- NCL (Other Backward Classes- Non-creamy layer)||Rs.500/-|
|SC (Scheduled Castes )||Rs.250/-|
|ST (Scheduled Tribes)||Rs.250/-|
|PwD (Persons with Disabilities)||Rs.250/-|
Step 5: Download The Confirmation Page
On successful payment of the application fee, a confirmation page is generated. Candidates require to take a minimum of four printouts of the confirmation page and keep them for future use.
- Candidates must submit the UGC NET application form online mode on the official website of the examination only. UGC NET applications submitted in any other mode will not be entertained.
- A candidate can submit only one application form
- The candidate must enter their Email ID and mobile number in the application form correctly as all-important correspondence regarding the examination will be done through E-mail or SMS by the National Testing Agency.
- All four steps of the application process (registration, application form filling, uploading of the photo & signature, and the application fee payment) can be done together or at separate times
- Candidates do not require to upload any document other than the scanned copy of the photo & signature in the application form
- If the confirmation page is not generated/ displayed after the payment of the application fee, it means that the transaction has been canceled.
- In such cases, the amount deducted from the candidates’ accounts will be refunded. The candidate needs to make another transaction of the fee payment.
- The candidates must keep printed copies of the confirmation page for future reference.
- The entire UGC NET process of application is online, the candidates do not require to send any document through post/ fax/ by hand/ E-mail to the National Testing Agency.
UGC NET Application Form Correction
Once the process of registration is over, the National Testing Agency offers a one-time facility to the candidates for correction of the application form. The steps for form correction are given below:
Step 1: Visit the official website
Step 2: Click on the application form correction button
Step 3: Login using the application number & password
Step 4: Click on the link available for form correction
Step 5: Read the instructions carefully
Step 6: Click on I agree.
Step 7: Click on Proceed
Step 8: Make the required changes.
Step 9: Click on Submit.
Step 10: Review the corrections made.
Step 11; cluck on Final submission.
Step 12: Take a printout of the revised Confirmation
The candidates can make corrections in the following sections (if required):
- Personal details
- The choice of examination center
- Educational information
- Scanned photo & signature
UGC NET Notification 2024 – Syllabus
The table below has the UGC NET syllabus 2024 and the direct links to download the full syllabus released by the Agency:
|0||General Paper on Teaching & Research Aptitude (Paper -I)|
|1||Economics / Rural Economics /Co-operation / Demography / Development Planning/ Development Studies / Econometrics/ Applied Economics/Development Eco./Business Economics|
|11||Defense and Strategic Studies|
|17||Management (including Business Admn. Mgt./Marketing/ Marketing Mgt./Industrial Relations and Personnel Mgt./ Personnel Mgt./Financial Mgt./Co-operative Management)|
|39||French (French Version)|
|46||Adult Education/ Continuing Education/ Andragogy/ Non Formal Education.|
|49||Arab Culture and Islamic Studies|
|55||Labour Welfare/Personnel Management/Industrial Relations/ Labour and Social Welfare/Human Resource Management|
|59||Library and Information Science|
|60||Buddhist, Jaina, Gandhian and Peace Studies|
|62||Comparative Study of Religions|
|63||Mass Communication and Journalism|
|65||Performing Art – Dance/Drama/Theatre|
|66||Museology & Conservation|
|70||Tribal and Regional Language/Literature|
|73||Sanskrit traditional subjects (including) Jyotisha/Sidhanta Jyotish/ Navya Vyakarna/ Vyakarna/ Mimansa/ Navya Nyaya/ Sankhya Yoga/ Tulanatmaka Darsan/ Shukla Yajurveda/ Madhav Vedant/ Dharmasasta/ Sahitya/ Puranotihasa /Agama).|
|79||Visual Art (including Drawing & Painting/Sculpture Graphics/Applied Art/History of Art)|
|81||Social Medicine & Community Health|
|87||Computer Science and Applications|
|90||Politics including International Relations/International Studies including Defence/Strategic Studies, West Asian Studies, South East Asian Studies, African Studies, South Asian Studies, Soviet Studies, American Studies.|
|92||Human Rights and Duties|
|93||Tourism Administration and Management.|
UGC NET Notification – Exam Pattern
The exam pattern for UGC NET is as follows-
- The UGC NET examination will have two papers, Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- All the questions in both Papers will be of multiple-choice type.
- The total number of questions will be 150
- The duration of the examination is 3 hours.
- There will be no negative marking.
- Paper 1 will consist of questions from common subjects
- Paper 2 will cover questions from the subject chosen by you.
- In Paper 2, you will be given questions from 81 subjects chosen by you.
|Sl. No.||Subject||total questions||Total marks|
|2||The subject selected by the candidate||100||200|
|SR. No.||Subjects||Total Questions||Total Marks|
|5||People & Environment||05||10|
|6||Higher Education System: Governance, Polity & Administration||05||10|
|7||Information & Communication Technology (ICT)||05||10|
UGC NET Notification – Admit Card 2024
- The admit card for the examination will be released on the official website a month before the examination.
- Candidates must download the admit card and take a printout to be carried to the examination centre.
- No candidate will be allowed to take the examination if they report to the examination centre without the Admit card.
- In case candidates are unable to download the admit card, they should approach HelpLine.
- Admit card is an important document that should be kept safe by the candidates till they are granted the fellowship.
How to Download the Admit Card
The Admit Card will be available 30 days before the examination On the official website of UGC NET. Candidates can follow the below-given steps to download their Admit cards:
Step 1: Visit the official website of UGC NET.
Step 2: Click on the Download Admit Card option.
Step 3: Enter the details like application number, date of birth, security pin as visible on the screen, and other necessary details as required.
Step 4: Click on the Submit button.
Step 5: View and download the UGC NET Admit Card.
Step 6: Take a printout for future use.
UGC NET Exam 2024 – UGC NET Cut Off
The cut-off is the minimum marks candidates have to score in the examination to be eligible for admission in offered programs. Candidates can check the complete cut-off marks from the website of the admission authority.
UGC NET 2024 cut-off is prescribed on the basis of various factors including the level of examination, number of registered candidates for admission, etc. The cut-off has been released on the basis of reserved and unreserved categories. Candidates have to score more than cut-off marks to be eligible for admission. This section covers all there is to know about UGC NET Cut offs 2024.
Factors Affecting The UGC NET Cut Off
Cut-off marks are the marks that the candidate must obtain to qualify for moving to the next round of the process of selection. Please note that the passing marks or minimum marks are not the same as the cut-off marks. While the Examination Board specifies the minimum pass marks much before the Examination is conducted. The UGC NET Cut Off marks will be released after the examination is concluded. The cut-off marks are different for each year. The variation in the cut-off marks takes place considering different factors. These factors are as follows
- Number of Candidates appearing for the Examination
- Difficulty Level of the Examination
- The performance of candidates
- Cut off trends of previous years
UGC NET Exam 2024 – Calculation Of Cutoff
- The number of qualified candidates should be equal to 6% of the appearing candidates.
- Available slots for the candidate should be according to the government rules on the reservation.
- Candidates need to score the following minimum marks to be.
|Category||Minimum Marks (in percentage) to be secured by the candidate)Paper I Paper II|
|General||40 percent marks in both the papers taken together.|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC)||35 percent marks in both the papers taken together.|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||35 percent marks in both the papers taken together.|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||35 percent marks in both the papers taken together.|
To clear the UGC NET examination, the candidates must secure the minimum qualifying marks in each of the papers. However, scoring these marks and passing is not enough to be eligible for the next stage of the selection process. The candidates need to secure the cut-off marks.
|Category||Paper I (Out of 100 marks)||Paper-II (Out of 100 marks)||Paper III (Out of 150 marks)|
|General/ Open||40 (40 percent||40 (40 percent)||75 (50 percent)|
|OBC- NCL (Other Backward Classes- Non-creamy layer)||35 (35 percent)||35 (35 percent)||60 (40 percent)|
|PwD (Persons with Disabilities)||35 (35 percent)||35 (35 percent)||60 (40 percent)|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||35 (35 percent)||35 (35 percent)||60 (40 percent)|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||35 (35 percent)||35 (35 percent)||60 (40 percent)|
UGC NET Exam 2024 – How To Check Result?
Candidates can follow the steps mentioned below to check the result for the UGC NET Exam.
1: Visit the official website.
2: Click the View Result link
3: Enter the following details
- Application number
- Date of birth
- Security pin as shown in the image
4: Click on the Submit button
5: Download the UGC NET scorecard 2024
6: Take a printout for future use.
Each candidate’s UGC NET scorecard will heave the following details:
|Roll number||Application number|
|Name of the candidate||Father’s name|
|Subject code and name||Number of candidates registered for the concerned subject|
|Number of candidates appeared for the concerned subject||Post applied for (JRF and Assistant Professor or Assistant Professor Only)|
|Paper- wise and total marks obtained||Paper-wise and total percentage obtained|
|Paper-wise and total percentile score obtained||Examination qualifying status|
The result contains the performance of candidates in the entrance exam. Authority does not send any result to any candidates individually through post or any other offline mode. Candidates have to download their results by themselves through login into the website of the authority.
How To Check UGC Net Result If Forgot Application Number?
In case, the candidate forgets his/ her application number, required to login into the registered account to check the UGC NET result, he/ she can re-generate it. The steps to regenerate the application number are given below:
1: Visit the official website
2: Click on the link available for UGC NET 2024 result
3: Click on the “Forgot Application No.?” link
4: Enter the below-given details
- Father’s name
- Mother’s name
- Date of birth
- Security pin as visible on the screen
5: Click on the ‘Get Application Number’ button
The application number will be re-generated, which candidates can use to login into their accounts and check the UGC NET result.
Candidates can follow the steps provided below to download- JRF award letter and the e-certificate for the UGC NET examination
- Visit the official website of UGC NET.
- Click on the link provided for downloading the e-certificate and the JRF award letter
- Select the examination and enter captcha code
- Click on Proceed
- Enter roll number/ application number and date of birth
- Enter captcha code
- Click on Proceed
- Check & download the JRF award letter and the e-certificate.
UGC NET Exam 2024 – Conclusion
This blog will be updated as and when UGC provides further updates for the exam. Until then candidates can prepare according to the syllabus and exam pattern provided and practice using the mock tests.
UGC NET Exam 2024 – Frequently Asked Questions
A1. No, negative marking is not applicable.
A2. The duration of the examination is 3 hours (180 minutes).
A3. No, the UGC NET application form can be submitted online on the official website of the examination only.
A4. No, the UGC NET application fee can be paid in online mode through credit card/ debit card/ net banking/ UPI only.
A5. Last date to apply for UGC NET June 2024 will be announced.
A6. Visit the official UGC NET website – https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/ to download your admit card.
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2024, Check Age Limit, Relaxation and Educational Qualification
- UGC NET Exam Date 2024 June Out, Know the Schedule
- UGC NET Salary 2024, Check in Hand Salary, Job Profile and Allowances
- UGC NET Notification 2024 for June Cycle, Download PDF
- UGC NET Result 2023 Out for June Cycle, Direct Link to Check
- UGC NET Cut Off 2023, Check Previous Year Cut Offs
I write content to help people prepare for banking exams because I have experience as an aspirant myself. My goal is to provide accurate and easy-to-understand information for candidates. I cover various topics such as exam patterns, syllabus, study techniques, and time management to support those preparing for the exams. As a former aspirant turned content writer, I want to make the information accessible and helpful for others so that they can do well in their banking and government exams and achieve their goals.