Every year State Bank of India recruits probationary officers through SBI PO recruitment exam. It is the largest banking and financial services organization in India. It invites online applications from eligible Indian citizens to be appointed as Probationary Officers in SBI. This year, SBI PO 2020 Recruitment is expected to be announced soon. A candidate is selected after clearing each phase of the recruitment process. As part of SBI, one gets to work in a Fortune 500 organization and become a part of one of the most valuable brands in India.
- 1. SBI PO 2020 Recruitment Exam: Overview
- 2. When will SBI PO 2020 Notification Release?
- 3. What are the SBI PO 2020 Recruitment Exam Dates?
- 4. How many Vacancies have been announced for SBI PO 2020?
- 5. What is the Eligibility Criteria for SBI PO Recruitment 2020?
- 6. What is the selection procedure of SBI PO Recruitment 2020?
- 7. SBI PO Number of Attempts
- 8. What is Syllabus for SBI PO Recruitment Exam 2020?
- 9. SBI PO 2020 Preparation
- 10. What is the Salary of an SBI PO recruit? – Know Here
- 11. SBI PO Joining, Training & Career Path
- 12. SBI PO 2020 Apply Online: Application Process
- 13. SBI PO 2020 Pre-Exam Training
- 14. SBI PO 2020 Admit Card
- 15. SBI PO 2020 Result
- 16. SBI PO Previous Years Cut off Scores
- 17. SBI PO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Q1) When will SBI PO 2020 Notification Release?
- Q2) I am in the final year of graduation. Can I apply for the SBI PO exam?
- Q3) Does graduation marks matter in SBI PO exam?
- Q4) How many times can I give SBI PO exam?
- Q5) Is there any bond in SBI PO?
- Q6) Is the SBI PO Exam Bilingual?
- Q7) What is the salary of SBI PO?
- Q8) Is SBI PO exam tough?
- Q9) Can I crack SBI PO in the first attempt?
- Q10)Which book is best for the SBI PO exam?
1. SBI PO 2020 Recruitment Exam: Overview
The recruitment process is held in three phases i.e. Preliminary Examination, Main Examination and Group Exercise & Interview.
Candidates who are shortlisted after Preliminary Examination appear for Main Examination. Candidates who are shortlisted after the Main Examination are subsequently called for Group Exercises & Interview.
Final results are arrived at by aggregating the Mains Exam score and GE & PI marks.
Prospective candidates can apply using an online link given on the official website after carefully reading the eligibility criteria. It is recommended to regularly keep in touch with the authorised SBI website https://bank.sbi/careers or https://www.sbi.co.in/careers for details and updates.
2. When will SBI PO 2020 Notification Release?
State Bank releases the recruitment notification more or less in the month of April. The Prelims phase is conducted in the month of June and Main Exam in the month of July.
After the release of the SBI PO notification, there are around 1.5 to 2 months with the applicants for effective preparation.
SBI PO Admit cards or call letters for both Prelims and Mains are released by the conducting body 15 to 20 days before the exam date.
A candidate is informed about the Exam dates in the notification PDF itself at the time of the release of the recruitment notification. But why wait for the 2020 notification, start your preparations now.
3. What are the SBI PO 2020 Recruitment Exam Dates?
Now let us have a look at the Important dates (tentative) related to SBI PO 2020 Recruitment -:
|SBI PO 2020 Notification Released On||To be notified soon|
|Start of Online Registration||To be notified soon|
|Download Admit Card for Online Preliminary Exam||To be notified soon|
|SBI PO Preliminary Exam Date||To be notified soon|
|Result of Online Preliminary Exam||To be notified soon|
|The download of Call letter for Online Main Exam||To be notified soon|
|SBI PO Mains Exam Date||To be notified soon|
|Result of Online Main Exam||To be notified soon|
|Download Call Letter for Group Exercises & Personal Interview||To be notified soon|
|Conduct of Group Exercises & Interview||To be notified soon|
|Declaration of Final Result||To be notified soon|
4. How many Vacancies have been announced for SBI PO 2020?
The total number of vacancies (mostly around 2000 as per previous years record) for the post of POs are mentioned in the recruitment notification.
The total number of vacancies are divided among various categories viz.
- SC (Scheduled Castes),
- ST (Scheduled Tribes),
- OBC (Other Backward Classes; non-creamy layer),
- EWS (Economically Weaker Sections) and
- UR/Gen (General).
There are also reservations for the PWD (Persons with Disabilities) category.
4% horizontal reservation has been provided to Persons with Benchmark Disabilities.
The reservations are provided to people with
- LD (Locomotor Disabilities),
- VI (Visual Impairment),
- HI (Hearing Impaired),
- Specific learning disabilities, Mental Illness, and Multiple Disabilities.
Only those persons with benchmark disabilities would be eligible for reservation. “Benchmark disability” means a person with not less than 40% of a specified disability
Use of Scribe & compensatory time: The facility of scribe would be allowed to a person while writing the exam, who has a disability of 40% or more if so desired by the person and is meant for only those persons with disability who have physical limitation to write including that of speed.
4.1 SBI PO Vacancies 2019
Now let us have a look at the SBI PO 2019 Vacancies -:
5. What is the Eligibility Criteria for SBI PO Recruitment 2020?
5.1 Minimum Required Education Qualification
An applicant needs to have the following academic qualifications to be eligible to write the exam.
- The person wishing to apply needs to have Graduation in any discipline from a recognized University or any equivalent qualification recognized as such by the Central Government.
- Those who are in the Final Year/ Semester of their Graduation may also apply provisionally subject to the condition that, if called for interview, they will have to produce proof of having passed the graduation examination.
- Candidates possessing qualification of Chartered Accountant may also apply.
5.2 Percentage Required in Graduation for the SBI PO Exam
There is no criteria regarding any minimum percentage in the Graduation degree. Candidate should indicate the percentage obtained in Graduation calculated to the nearest two decimals in the online application. Where CGPA/ OGPA is awarded, the same should be converted into a percentage.
As there is no minimum percentage criteria, everyone has an equal chance to get to become an SBI PO. Start preparing now.
5.3 Maximum and Minimum Age Limits for a Candidate
An applicant should not be below 21 years of age and not above 30 years of age calculated as per the date mentioned in the notification.
Certain age relaxation is also provided by the bank to certain categories of applicants. Have a look at the age relaxation provided below:
1) Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe – 5 Years
2) Other Backward Classes (Non-Creamy Layer) – 3 Years
3) Persons with Disabilities (PWD)
- PWD (SC/ ST) – 15 Years
- PWD (OBC) – 13 Years
- PWD (Gen/ EWS) – 10 Years
6. What is the selection procedure of SBI PO Recruitment 2020?
The recruitment for SBI Probationary Officers is done through a three-tiered process:
Phase I – Preliminary Exam (Prelims) (Online Exam)
Phase II – Main Exam (Mains) (Online Exam)
Phase III – Group Exercises and Personal Interview (Face to Face)
6.1 Phase I – Know the SBI PO 2020 Prelims Exam Pattern here.
The preliminary exam is an objective online exam for 100 marks comprising of three sections with separate timings for each section. Prelims Exam is qualifying in nature and marks obtained in the Preliminary Examination (Phase-I) will not be added for preparing the final merit list for selection.
|Name of test||No. of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|English Language||30||Total Maximum Marks= 100||20 minutes|
|Quantitative Aptitude||35||20 minutes|
|Reasoning Ability||35||20 minutes|
6.2 Phase II – Here is the SBI PO 2020 Mains Exam Pattern.
A candidate who clears the SBI PO Prelims takes the SBI PO Main Exam which again consists of Objective and Descriptive papers. 1/4th of marks assigned to a question will be deducted as penalty for the wrong answer. There will be no sectional cut off marks.
Objective Paper Pattern
|Name of the test||No. of Qs.||Max. Marks||Duration|
|Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||60 minutes|
|Data Analysis & Interpretation||35||60||45 minutes|
|General/ Economy/ Banking Awareness||40||40||35 minutes|
|English Language||35||40||40 minutes|
Descriptive Paper Pattern
The Descriptive paper is a test of English Language.
It will have two questions namely Letter Writing & Essay writing for 50 marks to be answered in 30 minutes.
6.3 Phase III – Group Exercises and Personal Interviews
Group Exercises – 20 marks
Interview – 30 Marks
Candidates who clear the Prelims and Mains Phase and score above the cut off scores declared by the Bank would be called for Phase III of the recruitment exam.
The category-wise merit list is drawn on the basis of the aggregate marks scored in the Main Examination. Candidates numbering up to approximately three times the category-wise vacancies are shortlisted for the Group Exercise & Interview.
6.4 SBI PO Final Selection
The marks obtained in Main Examination (Phase-II), both in the Objective Test and the Descriptive Test, will be added to the marks obtained in GE & Interview (Phase-III) for preparing the final merit list.
Marks secured by the candidates in the Main Examination (out of 250 marks) are converted to out of 75 marks and Group Exercises & Interview scores of candidates (out of 50 marks) are converted to out of 25 marks.
The final merit list is arrived at after aggregating (out of 100) converted marks of Main Examination and Group Exercises & Interview.
7. SBI PO Number of Attempts
The table given below gives the category-wise maximum number of attempts/chances available with an applicant. Appearing only in the Preliminary Examination will not be counted as a chance.
|Category||Max. Permissible Number of Chances|
|General/ EWS (PWD)||7|
|SC/ SC (PWD)/ ST/ ST (PWD)||No Restriction|
8. What is Syllabus for SBI PO Recruitment Exam 2020?
The section-wise syllabus is given below for your reference:
|Reasoning Ability||English Language||Quantitative Ability|
|Alpha Numeric Series||Cloze Test||Average|
|Analogy||Error Spotting||Data Interpretation|
|Blood Relations||Fill in the Blanks||Simple & Compound Interest|
|Circular Seating Arrangement||Para Jumbles||Number System|
|Classification||Phrase Idiom Meaning||Percentage|
|Coding & Decoding||Phrase Replacement/ Sentence Correction||Profit and Loss|
|Data Sufficiency||Reading Comprehension||Mixtures & Allegations|
|Directions & Distances||Sentence/ Paragraph Completion||Speed, Time and Distance|
|Double Line Up||Spellings||Work and Time|
|Grouping and Selection||Synonyms/Antonyms||Number Series|
|Inequalities||Ratio and Proportion|
|Input-Output||Simplification & Approximation|
|Linear Seating Arrangement||Permutation & Combination|
|Ordering and Ranking||Probability|
General/ Economy/ Banking Awareness
General Awareness -:
- Current Affairs
- Sports News
- General Knowledge
- Superlatives – India & World
- Science and Tech related to current events
- Important Days
- Government Schemes.
- Important Appointments.
Economy and Banking Awareness -:
- Economy current affairs
- Important Bank News
- Economic and Corporate Appointments
- Bank Names, headquarters and Chairpersons
- Annual Budget
- Economic Survey
- Reports & Indices
9. SBI PO 2020 Preparation
Can I crack SBI PO in the first attempt?
Yes, you can.
SBI PO Preparation requires deep understating of each of the question types is given in the syllabus and then consequently practicing a wide variety of each of these types using the right approach.
SBI PO exam requires one to have the basics of each of the sections viz. English Language, Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude crystal clear, and then applying these basics while solving questions asked.
SBI PO Prelims exam requires a candidate to solve maximum questions (speed) with accuracy under the sectional time given.
This requires a lot of practice on the part of a candidate to be able to develop speed. On the other hand, the questions asked in the Mains Exam are concept-based, calculative or both.
The difficulty level of the questions asked is also a notch higher in the Main Exam.
Ways to prepare for SBI PO:
Offline Mode: Through Reference Books
Being able to solve under a definite time period puts a candidate under a lot of pressure and here the Mock Tests come into play.
Mock Tests are a simulation of the actual exam pattern and help a candidate to become accustomed to exam environment and thereby increasing their scores.
10. What is the Salary of an SBI PO recruit? – Know Here
The gross emoluments of an SBI PO are quite impressive as State Bank pays its employees well with a lot of perks and allowances and yearly increments.
The gross emoluments for a Probationary Officer (PO) at SBI would range from Rs 8.2 lakhs per annum to a maximum of Rs 13.02 lakhs per annum depending on the city they are posted in.
The basic pay starts for a Probationary Officer at SBI starts at Rs 27,620.
Additionally, the PO will be eligible for
- Dearness Allowance (D.A.),
- House Rent Allowance (H.R.A.) (or Lease Rental),
- City Compensatory Allowance (C.C.A.),
- Medical Allowance, and
- Other allowances, as per the norms of the company.
11. SBI PO Joining, Training & Career Path
The selected candidates will be exposed to basic banking knowledge, before joining, through an online course and will have to complete this course before joining.
On joining, the selected candidates will be designated as “Probationary Officers” and will be on probation for two years.
They will be subjected to continuous assessment during the probation period.
Those candidates who qualify in the assessment as per standards determined by the Bank from time to time will be confirmed in the Service of the Bank in Junior Management Grade Scale-I (JMGS-I).
Further, those officers who achieve higher standards/ scores stipulated by the Bank may be considered for direct placement in the next higher grade, Middle Management Grade Scale-II (MMGS-II) immediately after confirmation.
The attractive promotion policy of the Bank provides an opportunity to the meritorious and exceptionally brilliant officers to reach the Top Management Grade in a reasonably quick time.
12. SBI PO 2020 Apply Online: Application Process
Know the prerequisites/steps for application/registration for the exam.
- Candidates are required to register themselves online through the Bank’s website https://bank.sbi/careers or https://www.sbi.co.in/careers.
- After the registration process is completed, candidates are required to pay the requisite application fee through online mode by using debit card/ credit card/ Internet Banking.
Registration & payment of fees [Online Mode Only]
- First, scan the photograph and signature as detailed under guidelines for scanning the photograph and signature.
- Visit the Bank’s website https://bank.sbi/careers or https://www.sbi.co.in/careers and open the Online Application Form, available under ‘Current Openings’.
- Fill the SBI PO application form carefully.
- After ensuring the correctness of the particulars of the application form, a candidate should pay fees through the payment gateway integrated with the application, by following the instructions available on the screen.
- The payment can be made by using debit card/ credit card/ Internet Banking by providing information as asked on the screen. Transaction charges for online payment, if any, will be borne by the candidates.
- On successful completion of the transaction, e-receipt and application form will be generated, which may be printed for record. The printout of the application form is NOT to be sent to the Bank.
- If the online transaction is not successfully completed, please register again and make payment online.
- There is also a provision to reprint the e-Receipt and Application form containing fee details, at later stage.
Guidelines for scanning the photograph & signature
Before applying online a candidate will be required to have a scanned (digital) image of his/ her/ their photograph and signature as per the specifications given in Annexure-II.
- The photograph must be a recent passport-style color picture taken against a light-colored, preferably white background.
- Dimensions 200 x 230 pixels (preferred)
- Size of file should be between 20kb–50 kb
- The applicant has to sign on white paper with Black Ink pen.
- Dimensions 140 x 60 pixels (preferred)
- Size of file should be between 10kb to 20kb
13. SBI PO 2020 Pre-Exam Training
Bank conducts pre-examination training at certain centres for SC/ ST/ Religious Minority Community candidates and releases the Pre-exam training call letters for the same.
Candidates wishing to attend the Pre-Exam training and belonging to the above-mentioned categories can download the admit cards and attend the same as per the dates mentioned in their respective admit cards.
14. SBI PO 2020 Admit Card
Prospective candidates will have to separately download the admit cards for the Prelims Phase, Mains Phase and the Interview Phase from the official website. The bank although intimates the candidates through an SMS and an e-mail informing about the release of the admit cards.
To download the call letters from the official website, a candidate is required to fill in the following details:
- Registration No/Roll No
- Date of Birth/ Password
15. SBI PO 2020 Result
After each phase of the exam, the Bank releases result and the scorecard for the candidates.
However, the final merit list is prepared after aggregating the scores of Mains Phase and GE & PI.
16. SBI PO Previous Years Cut off Scores
16.1 SBI PO Prelims Cut Off 2019:
16.2 SBI PO Mains Cut Off 2019
|D & E||75.14|
16.3 SBI PO Cut Off 2019 for Group Exercise & Interview
|D & E||17.5|
16.4 SBI PO Final Cut-Off – 2019
|D & E||33.37|
17. SBI PO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1) When will SBI PO 2020 Notification Release?
Answer: SBI PO recruitment notification can be expected in the month of April 2020.
Q2) I am in the final year of graduation. Can I apply for the SBI PO exam?
Answer: Those who are in the Final Year/ Semester of their Graduation may also apply provisionally subject to the condition that, if called for interview, they will have to produce proof of having passed the graduation examination.
Q3) Does graduation marks matter in SBI PO exam?
Answer: No, there is no limit on the minimum percentage of marks to have in Graduation.
Q4) How many times can I give SBI PO exam?
Answer: Here are the maximum attempts by any candidate.
|Category||Max. Permissible Number of Chances|
|General/ EWS (PWD)||7|
|SC/ SC (PWD)/ ST/ ST (PWD)||No Restriction|
Q5) Is there any bond in SBI PO?
Answer: The selected candidates, at the time of joining, will have to execute a bond of Rs 2 lakh to serve the bank for a minimum period of three years.
Q6) Is the SBI PO Exam Bilingual?
Answer: Except for the Descriptive Test for English Language in the SBI PO Mains Exam, all the other tests are bilingual, i.e. available in both English and Hindi.
Q7) What is the salary of SBI PO?
Answer: The basic pay starts for a Probationary Officer at SBI starts at Rs 27,620. The gross emoluments for a Probationary Officer (PO) at SBI would range from Rs 8.2 lakhs per annum to a maximum of Rs 13.02 lakhs per annum depending on the city they are posted in.
Q8) Is SBI PO exam tough?
Answer: It is a competitive exam, if it is tough for one candidate, it will be tough for others too. Your level of preparation will make all the difference.
Q9) Can I crack SBI PO in the first attempt?
Q10)Which book is best for the SBI PO exam?
Answer: The books that you can refer are given below:
- DI & DS Decoded by Oliveboard
- Reasoning Puzzles by Oliveboard
- Objective General English by S P Bakshi
- Quantitative Aptitude by RS Aggarwal
We hope now you have all the information you need about the SBI PO Recruitment Notification 2020 like exam dates, exam pattern, eligibility, application form, salary, job profile, syllabus, preparation etc. Let us know if you need any more information or your feedback in the comments below. All the best for your preparation.
- Crack IBPS Clerk 2020 Online Course – Join Now
- Join EDGE Courses for Bank Exams – Get personal mentoring by experts
- IBPS PO 2020 Mock Tests – Attempt a Free Mock Test Now
- IBPS RRB PO Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- IBPS RRB Assistant Mock Test – Attempt a FREE Mock Test Now
- Guarantee your success in 2020 with SBI PO Titan Course on EDGE + 30 Full-length SBI PO mock tests
- Attempt a Free SEBI Grade A Mock Test here