The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts an exam for Combined Graduate Level (CGL) every year. As we know, lakhs of candidates appear in this exam for a few thousand vacancies that make the exam highly competitive. For this, candidates will have to plan their study in an efficient way. The most important thing for the preparation is to follow the best books, the best strategy, and the best material. As there are a lot of books available for SSC CGL preparation in the market due to which candidates get confused. So, in this blog, we are sharing a list of best books for SSC CGL for every section that will help you to save your search time for books and give you the best material required for your preparation.
At first, we will discuss the pattern of SSC CGL and then will see the list of related books.
SSC CGL exam pattern
SSC CGL recruitment includes four stages in which the first two stages (Tier I and Tier II) are a computer-based test, the third stage is descriptive, and the fourth stage includes an interview.
Subjects covered in Tier-I: General Awareness, Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, and English Language.
Subjects covered in Tier II: Quantitative Aptitude, English Language, Statistics and General Studies (Finance and Economics)
Best Books for SSC CGL
Books for General Awareness
The General Awareness section is one of the scoring section in Tier-I as it does not require any calculation time. If you know the answer, you have to mark on that. So, it is necessary to prepare this section seriously. Below are the right books for this section that will help you to do your preparation in a better way.
- General Knowledge – Arihant Publications
- Lucent’s General Knowledge – Binary Karn
- NCERT books of history, geography, polity, economics, etc.
- Current Affairs from newspapers like The Hindu, The Indian Express etc. For a short and efficient way to memorize current affairs, you can refer to the daily GK app by Oliveboard, attempt a daily quiz there or can download the monthly BOLT.
Books for Reasoning
The reasoning section comes in only Tier I, but it is a scoring subject as well. It is easy to understand, and its better practice leads you to score well. So, for its practice following are some of the right books given below.
- Verbal and Non-verbal Reasoning – R. S. Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning – M K Pandey
- Previous Year Questions- Kiran Publications
Books for Quantitative Aptitude
The quantitative Aptitude section is most important as it comes in Tier-I as well as in Tier-II. For most of the aspirants, this section is a difficult one to solve. So, it is necessary to follow the right book for clearing concepts and practicing a lot of problems based on it. The following are those books that will help you throughout your practice.
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations – R. S. Aggarwal
- Previous Year Questions – Kiran Publication
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT(to practice high level questions) – Arun Sharma
- Airthmetic, Advanced Maths – Rakesh Yadav
Books for the English Language
The English Language is the most scoring subject in the SSC CGL exam as it has a good weightage in both Tier -I and Tier II. Aspirants who have learned all the things still need to practice and learn more concepts. So, the selection of the right book for this section is necessary. Below is a list of books for this section that will be useful in your preparation for Tier-I as well as Tier-II.
- High School English Grammar and Composition – Wren & Martin
- Competitive General English – Kiran Prakashan
- Objective General English – S P Bakshi
- From Plinth to Paramount – Neetu Singh
- Quick Learning Objective General English – R S Aggarwal and Vikas Aggarwal
Along with the above books, the following are some other factors to be followed for better preparation:
- Give a mock test daily and analyze it properly.
- Give sectional tests for increasing speed and accuracy.
- Analyze your performance to find your strengths and weaknesses and then work on it.
- Do numerical problems always within a limited time that will help you to increase your calculation speed.
That’s all from us in this blog. We hope this helps you in your preparation for the SSC CGL exam.
- Mission SSC CGL 2020-21 Online Course + Test Series: Join Now
- Attempt SBI PO Free Mock Test for Prelims now
- IB ACIO 2020 – 2000 Vacancies – Start Preparing a Free Mock Test now
- JK Bank Mains – Crash Course + Mock Tests – Join Now
- ECGC PO 2021 – Kickstart your preparation with a Free Mock Test
- Crack All IBPS Exams – Join Mega Banking Online Course Now